Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
heiserk0410

2017 Keystone Laredo 298srl

The DW and I just finished our maiden voyage in the new Laredo. Overall, very happy with the rig. Couple small issues came up as I expected when purchasing a new 5'er and using it for the first time.

First issue...park the rig and start connecting everything. Connect the city water and let the DW know I'm turning it on. Turn her on and water is pouring out the opposite side of the rig. When we did our PDI, they drained the water heater when we were done but they forgot to put the plug/anode rod back in. No big deal. Put her in, tightened her down. Good to go.

Everything else worked great over the weekend until it was time to dump. Second issue...I went to connect the sewer hose to the rig and turned the cap about a 1/4 turn or so and water started spewing out the sides. Not a little water, a LOT of water. Thank goodness it was not a black water leak! Appears to be the grey water from the bath-tub. Smelled like my wives shampoo & such. So looks like the valve is not closing all the way. On these newer rigs they are run off cables and the valve closure is not down where you dump. Anyone know if that's something I can easily adjust myself? I've put a call into the dealer but am waiting for a return phone call.

Other than that, so far so good. We really love the rig and it's setup. Just need to work out the kinks.

heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you had a "for the most part" very successful first outing. The water heater anode rod installation is unfortunate. Did you use Teflon tape on the installation? If not, you might want to pull the anode rod and put Teflon on the threads. You'll be very grateful for the tape when you winterize this fall.

On the dump valves, some use cables, some use extension rods. Without seeing your installation, it's difficult to say which was used on your trailer.

I'd urge you to consider a "cheap insurance policy" (about $25) and buy/install a "twist-on" terminal valve. Just remove your "end cap" twist on the valve in its place, then reinstall the cap on the new valve. It's a simple as that and it serves to stop the "gush" from leaking valves and is an additional "stop-gap" to prevent those issues. Fortunately, this time, it was gray water.... Your "black water event" is still "yet to happen". As they say with most things unfortunate, you haven't escaped the problem, it just hasn't happened yet.......

Here's a picture of the twist-on terminal valve and a link to one source: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...twist+on+valve
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Tbos

Thanks for the summary of your trip. It's always good to hear how it goes for people. I agree with JRTH. That extra valve can be a lifesaver. Let us know what the dealer says about your existing gray valve.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
heiserk0410

Thanks JRTJH! On order! Best $25 I've spent on a long time. I'll keep you posted on what my dealer says. I would guess it would be a simple adjustment. We'll see.

heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiserk0410 View Post
Thanks JRTJH! On order! Best $25 I've spent on a long time. I'll keep you posted on what my dealer says. I would guess it would be a simple adjustment. We'll see.

There isn't much "adjusting" you can do with cable actuated waste valves. One of the seals could have rolled or got pinched. It happens from time to time with new units. The tech that gets to fix it will be grateful it's the gray tank and not the black.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, laredo