Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
micktaylor

Relacing drain hose on Dometic fridge.

Hi,
I have a 2007 Cougar 5th Wheel (29 Ft) and the drain hose on my dometic refrigerator has come off. I would like to know how to replace a new hose without having to remove the whole unit. Any ideas please?
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless you have a skinny arm with two elbows, you're going to have to be a contortionist to reach the attachment point on the outside, rear of the refrigerator. It's actually the back of the drain pan that sits under your refrigerator fins at the top of the refrigerator section. With a bit of luck and a skinny arm, you might be able to access it. You might need to remove the lower portion of the burner box cover to keep from cutting your arm.

Alternatively, removing the refrigerator mount screws and the gas supply line and sliding the refrigerator out of the cabinet about 2" is usually all it takes to get an "average size arm" to the area.

Usually, it's not that the hose "comes off the fitting" rather the hose becomes brittle and cracks which causes the leaks. Remember, the hose is plastic and sits directly behind a "high heat evaporator" which damages the plastic. Most only last 2 or 3 years before they start leaking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
micktaylor

Hi John,
Thanks for your help. These drain hoses are sure a pain in the butt. Will try to find someone with skinny arms!! Cheers Mick Taylor,
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by micktaylor View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for your help. These drain hoses are sure a pain in the butt. Will try to find someone with skinny arms!! Cheers Mick Taylor,

Good luck!! I normally undo the screws holding the refer in and slide it out as John described. Make sure to cover the 12V positive lead unless you have disconnected the battery and unplugged from shore power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
BuxCamper

Would wrapping some heat reflecting foil tape around the drain line help preserve it?

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I have an '07 290 also. When my drain hose started to crumble it was at the vent end and seemed to be from UV damage. The hose kept breaking at the vent until it was no longer long enough reach outside. I was able to get my fat arm (I would say muscular arm but would be lying) far enough in to replace the hose with a better grade of vinyl tubing. As John mentioned I removed the heat shield (Dometic's fix for recall in that year) and pulled the old hose off and fitted the new one on by feel .... no way you can see with your arm in there, skinny or not. Be prepared to skin a knuckle or two and to expand your vocabulary. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, to add to Hank's explanation, the "distant end" of the hose, the part that extends out of the lower vent, has a plug in it with three small holes. Be sure to remove that plug from the old hose and install it on your replacement. The plug serves two purposes, first, it prevents bugs (especially ants) from getting into your refrigerator but more importantly, it slows the transfer of hot air from outside to inside your refrigerator box. A good part of the temperature control is "that little plug with three holes"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, drain, fridge