Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
skane

Water and Holding Tanks: De-facto Guide

HI Everyone,

I am a proud new owner of a Passport 2400BH and if I could fast-forward time to next month so I could start camping, I would!

This the first time I have ever owned a camper with black/grey tanks. I know the concepts are simple, but I cannot locate a simple, overview type of guide regarding the usage of these tanks, and what the Spring and per-trip routine is.

So, my questions are:
  1. Is there a guide somewhere on this forum detailing my items above?
  2. If not, what is the "best practice" routine I should follow?

I know that each person has their own way of doing things, but there has to be a "good to know list" for each item. If there are no other combined posts, I'd love to harvest your recommendations and update this initial post for future noobs like me.

Thanks in advance!!
Sean

Good to Know List:
  • Use "Septic Safe" TP
  • Keep the valve open during the tank flush
  • Keep your black tank valve tank closed until you are ready to dump, the fuller the better, especially with liquid
  • Dump black tank first then grey tank
  • Keep a black tank hose for rinsing
  • Keep disposable gloves/dumping gloves of some sort
  • If using black tank for #2, be sure to put extra water in the tank so you don't get islands of #2. Add lots of water so that the solids can be suspended and flush out.
  • A black tank left un-rinsed or not dumped can get to smelling REALLY rank in warm weather and it can smell up the trailer as well.
  • Never put grease or food down either of your sinks.
  • Empty your hot water heater when you get home, otherwise the water can get stinky
  • Make sure your hot water heater plug is in before you connect to city water

Black Tank Rinse Using Black Tank Rinse Valve and Clear Sewer Elbow
  • Hook Garden hose to the black water tank rinse connection
  • Turn on water to tank rinse about half way
  • Pull black valve to empty black tank. Note: Use a clear sewer elbow so you can see when the tank is clean
  • Turn water all the way on
  • Allow the water to run until it is mostly clear
  • Then close the black valve
  • Stand by for 2 minutes while the black tank fills using the black tank rinse ***DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR CAMPER AS YOU CAN OVERFLOW YOUR BLACK TANK***
  • Open the black tank valve again
  • When water runs clear, close black valve again.
  • Again, stand by for 2 minutes while the black tank fills using the black tank rinse ***DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR CAMPER AS YOU CAN OVERFLOW YOUR BLACK TANK***
  • Open the black tank valve again
  • When the water is clear, turn off the water to the black tank rinse
  • As soon as you can see that all the water has stopped draining out of the black tanke, close the black valve
  • Open the grey valve to flush out the sewer hose
  • Place 1 gallon of fresh water in the black tank (via the toilet) and add your own (optional) tank treatment.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Black and gray tank usage is wholly dependent upon the individual; a single person can go an extended period on both tanks if they use them sparingly; a couple with 5 kids will have to dump them very frequently. So, worst case scenario is when the bottom of the shower holds water you need to dump the bathroom gray tank, when the sink holds water dump the galley gray tank and when the commode "burps" or you can see "stuff" coming up the pipe....DUMP IT!

Once you start using it you will get a feel for it. As an example; my wife and I stay in ours for 2-3 months at a time. We keep a calendar by the kitchen table. We go 3 days and then dump in the AM of the 4th day. If not, the tub will start to fill up, ie; the bathroom gray tank is full. The galley will not be full nor the black...but they will be close so we just do it then. You will find your own schedule. You will also find that you will want to be frugal with water unless you like dumping your tanks on a daily basis.

There are various thoughts on putting things in the toilet to help break down the solids and deodorize the black tank. We use a deodorizing product every several days to keep the tank from smelling. We also use a product made for the gray tanks in a similar fashion. I'm not sure that a product that breaks down solids does much good dumping every 3 days but we put some in occasionally. The key to me is the blank tank rinse which we do weekly on extended stays.

For seasons let's start with winter for black and gray tanks;

1. Dump all tanks
2. Put a small amount of anti freeze in each tank, toilet and p traps (including shower/tub)

Spring;

1. Dump tanks
2. Go camping

Per Trip;

1. Go camping
2. Dump tanks
3. Repeat

Using the waste tanks is simple. You just need to keep in mind that you need to keep them dumped and clean. If you do you may or may not have trouble with the level indicators. If they don't work properly develop your own guideline as I mentioned above.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
canesfan

I don't know that there are any "checklists" for waste tanks. A few things to keep in mind.

Keep your black tank valve tank closed until you are ready to dump, the fuller the better, especially with liquid.

Some people put water softener, dish detergent, and other things in their black tank especially to help "keep it clean".

Use "septic safe" TP. Some people test it in a jar to see how well it dissolves.

If you have a black tank flush, it usually states the valve must be open while using. Many people close the valve to add water to the tank and then open it again to rinse it some more. If you do this DON'T walk away, have a snack, start a conversation with the person next to you, or anything else that might make you forget the valve is closed. If you forget and the tank gets full it WILL make a mess by backing up through the toilet.

You'll probably get a lot of other advice, that's what I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, the nomenclature "Septic tank" is wrong. A septic tank uses bacterial action and time to break down waste, liquefy it and move it to a field line for saturation into the ground. Nobody leaves waste in their "black tank" long enough to effectively break down and liquefy the solids/paper, so at best, a black tank is more like a "chamber pot" than a "septic tank".

That said, the holding tanks in RV's are really nothing more than a "big bucket" to hold waste water from the toilet and gray water from the sinks and shower. The decision to use deodorants or enzymes to help control the odor is a personal decision, some people do, some don't. Neither is the "only way". When dumping, always try to dump the black tank only when it's full. This will set up a flow that is great enough to carry solids from the tank. Most people flush the tank with clear water after dumping, but if the tank will be used for further camping without storage, there's not much need to always rinse the tank. ALWAYS follow dumping the black tank by dumping the gray tanks. This flushes the plumbing from the tanks to the hose and flushes the hose of black tank residue. This makes "cleanup and storage" much more pleasant (if that's the right term). Most of us use rubber/vinyl gloves to handle the tanks, hoses, dumping chores and cleanup, storage of equipment. Again, a personal choice, but either way, a good hand washing with anti-bacterial soap after dumping the tanks is wise.

I don't know that a "checklist" is necessary, just some general knowledge of the system, what it is and what it does and a few trips to the dumping station is really all it takes to become proficient, although a leaking hose, leaking fitting or an occasional splash is going to happen, even to the best "dumper" so go prepared for cleanup.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
skane

Wow - thanks for the replies!!

JRTJH - thanks for the nomenclature fix... noob move there on my part I'm changing them from checklists to "good to know guidelines"

So, if I am a camper who camps just over the weekends and I don't use the black water that much (we are going to have a no #2 rule) are you guys suggesting that we NOT dump the black water tank until it is at a higher level? Or, should I fill up the tank a bit (via the toilet?) then dump it followed by the grey water? If I don't use the black tank that often, could I legitimately be carrying around around the nasty black water for a month before it gets to a level that is dumpworthy?

Next question, I did purchase the Thetford Aquachem product for the blank tank. Do you recommend putting this in the tank before each trip or after I dump it the Black tank??

• Use "Septic Safe" TP
  • Keep your black tank valve tank closed until you are ready to dump, the fuller the better, especially with liquid
Old 04-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
busterbrown

The following Youtube videos were a great resource for me prior to buying my new coach with grey and black holding tanks.

and

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skane View Post
Wow - thanks for the replies!!

JRTJH - thanks for the nomenclature fix... noob move there on my part I'm changing them from checklists to "good to know guidelines"

So, if I am a camper who camps just over the weekends and I don't use the black water that much (we are going to have a no #2 rule) are you guys suggesting that we NOT dump the black water tank until it is at a higher level? Or, should I fill up the tank a bit (via the toilet?) then dump it followed by the grey water? If I don't use the black tank that often, could I legitimately be carrying around around the nasty black water for a month before it gets to a level that is dumpworthy?

Next question, I did purchase the Thetford Aquachem product for the blank tank. Do you recommend putting this in the tank before each trip or after I dump it the Black tank??

• Use "Septic Safe" TP
If you're going to have a no #2 rule then you could dump the black tank when you return on each trip....and I would anyway. If you do #2 just add lots of water so that the solids can be suspended and flush out. Be sure and use your black tank flush each time. Follow with the gray tanks. A black tank left unrinsed or not dumped can get to smelling REALLY rank in short order in warm weather and it can smell up the trailer as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
Tbos

Something to keep in mind when using your TT toilet. Always add extra water. You don't want a pyramid of poo to develop in the black tank. I have 1/2 bowl when using and then another after I flush. Never put grease or food down either of your sinks. My black tank sensors seem to be more accurate than the grey tank. We can usually get an entire weekend out of both tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
ChuckS

I dump all tanks every time upon return from boon docking and rinse as well. It's not that big of a deal and sure keeps things cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
skane

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The following Youtube videos were a great resource for me prior to buying my new coach with grey and black holding tanks.

and

Busterbrown, these videos are fantastic!

Tags
water, tank