Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
gregrc75

Microwave static noise

Hello,

Today I went out into the camper to grab something. I heard a faint crackling or static-like noise coming from the microwave. Of course, I tapped it to see if it would stop and it didn't. Haha. I tried turning it on and it ran fine but the noise was still there. I turned the breaker off to the outlet and it stopped so I am assuming it's electrical. Last month made 5 years since I have owned the camper and, of course, the warranty ended.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking I should just replace it to avoid a potential fire.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Did the noise return when you turned the breaker back on? If it did, then unplug the microwave and see if the noise stops. If it does, it's "in the microwave" if the noise is still there, it's "something else"....

If, however, the noise stopped when you turned the breaker back on, it may have been a "hung relay" somewhere that "de-energized" when you flipped the breaker and is now "good to go".....

I wouldn't replace the microwave until you "know for sure" that the humming is inside the oven.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
gregrc75

Thank you for the guidance. The noise did return after switching the breaker back on. I had it off for a couple of hours. I will try the unplugging after I unscrew it from thn cabinet.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote