Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
camperbrian

Roof maintainance

I believe the only thing the manual says to maintain the (TPO rubber) roof is to check for holes and cracks in the caulk/sealant and recaulk/reseal over top of the hole or crack if there are any. I feel like there should be more to maintain the rubber roof, any advice?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I would suggest cleaning before inspecting at least once a year ... preferably twice a year. The roof materials used are tough but what can grow on them is ..... well ... Don't mess with Mother Nature. Keep it clean , it will last a long time. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
camperbrian

Thanks Hank, any suggestions on what cleaner to use for the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
dirt33

I use this:

And then this:

Start by using a hose to wet down the roof, including rinsing off any dirt, solids, etc. Spray the cleaner on a 3 foot by 3 foot or so section, and use sponge mop to scrub it in. Use garden hose to spray off that section, every so often spraying off the sides of the trailer as well, as the runoff will leave white and/or black streaks. Work my way around the trailer, using cleaner on the entire roof. Once dry, about an hour later or so, I come back with the "Protectant" bottle, using the sponge mop (cleaned out, of course) to apply the protectant. Then just let that dry on.

I do this every 3 months. Roof looks great.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
camperbrian

Great info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
dirt33

Forgot to mention, I immediately use the "wash/gel wax" soap and wash the entire exterior of the trailer once I am done with the roof. I do these jobs solo, and I have not yet found a way to clean the roof without leaving the sides of the trailer looking pretty dirty (even with frequent rinsing of the sides while working on the roof).

Just mentioning this for anyone that has not done a roof cleaning previously, as having to wash the sides after washing the roof certainly adds more time, making the overall job at least "a full afternoon" project. Then again, I operate in about "mid" gear, especially in the summer heat. Someone else could likely do the jobs quicker than I do. (Had a 2 person crew here a month ago that washed/waxed the entire trailer in less than 2 hours, and the quality was satisfactory)
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I just use a mixture of Dawn dish detergent and Twenty Mule Team Borax (Boraxo) With a medium stiff brush and rinse well. As mentioned, washing the sides will be a necessity. Repair any sealant that looks questionable after roof is completely dry. I have tried the "Special treatments" and never found an advantage with the cost and time of application.

Your best bet is to check with the manufacturer of your roofing material for what they recommend. Usually just cleaning and inspection.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Lee

Hi,

Twice a year I will wash, let dry, inspect and then apply Aerospace 303.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote