Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
Blainewerner

Panel says full on all water tanks...please help

All my tanks have a reading of full even though they arent. Even the fresh water tank. I am wondering if it is the panel or if it would be the tank probes and if so can i replace them with horst miracle probes and use a set of grey probes for the fresh water tank
Blainewerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainewerner View Post
All my tanks have a reading of full even though they arent. Even the fresh water tank. I am wondering if it is the panel or if it would be the tank probes and if so can i replace them with horst miracle probes and use a set of grey probes for the fresh water tank
Inaccurate tank sensor readings are a common problem - especially the black and gray tanks. They often will show that the tanks are partially or completely full even just after draining. "Stuff" gets hung up on the probes, dries out and you end up with faulty readings.

Other than thorough flushing after use and keeping plenty of water in the tanks afterwards, there isn't much else you can do. Even then, you might still end up with inaccurate readouts.

Most folks just accept the inevitable and; after getting to know their rig, have a pretty good idea when it's time to dump and when they are nearing full.

There are a number of different sensors on the market that may provide you with a more accurate and reliable readout. IMO, the additional expense, time and effort needed to install them isn't really worth it. At one time, these goofy readings bothered me but not any more.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Mike484

Ours still work, but, we have been keeping track to see when we need to dump our tanks in the event they quit working.
We have found that the gray water easily hold six showers and the black tank will last 5 days. So, we are always aware of this when we are when camping so we know when to dump without having to rely on the gauges.
Normally we only camp 3 - 4 days at a time so we just dump our tanks when loading up to leave.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
slow

Quote:
How old is your unit? If new, it may be a panel/harness/grounding issue since all read full.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Blainewerner

We have a 2012 premeire 31bhpr. I can understand the black tank giving faulty reading but i dont understand the fresh tank giving faulty reading
Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
slow

Quote:
We have a 2012 premeire 31bhpr. I can understand the black tank giving faulty reading but i dont understand the fresh tank giving faulty reading
I would check the harness connectors to ensure they are seated properly on the back of the panel.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Blainewerner

Yeah i will try that. Thanks
Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Pull Toy

My DW came up with a foolproof way to check the grey water tank. When she's ankle deep in the shower.... it's time! LOL!

Seriously though, after close to 40 years with tanks, two thing I've come to believe,:

#1 The gauge is usually wrong, ignore it.

You can check your Black tank with a flashlight down the trap! Don't empty this one without filling it the rest of the way with H2O, for a good power flush.

The Grey tank can be dumped whenever, with no harm, no foul (NO PUN INTENDED). Most of us prefer to have enough Grey left to flush the sewer hose after a Black Dump.

#2 If in doubt... it's time!

We usually travel with a few inches in both tanks to agitate, and then dump at home again. I think the "ice thing" is an urban myth... by the time your gone, it's all melted

In the words of Erma Bombeck (American Humorist, circa 1970)

"The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank!"

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Richard Noble

Had the same problem. I replaced the motherboard in the monitor. No more problem (with that). Look up the manufacturer of the unit and see it you can get a replacement board. Mine cost about $40 with shipping.

I even found a write-up on the net on how to test the board and that is what convinced me to buy one.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
GaryWT

Have they ever worked or has it been like this from day one? The water tank generally does not have an issue so this makes one wonder. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I wish I got 6 showers out of our grey tank but we only get 2 and one dish washing. Because of this we leave the grey tank open until the last night.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Blainewerner

Where did you buy your motherboard from. We just bought this camper second hand so we dont know if it ever worked properly

Tags
panel, probe, water