Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
dirt33

I am seeking a replacement fender and skirting

A tire blow out caused the damage pictured below to the "j wrap" skirt piece, as well as the fender. I am told by a Keystone dealer that the "j wrap" is no longer available (figures) and that the only fender available is black in color.

I have tried using the sticky post at the top of this forum to search various websites for parts, but have not had any luck yet. Just wondering if anyone else perhaps has knowledge of where a guy could find these parts?

The measurements on the photo were for the dealer, who initially indicated that the part would be no problem to get ahold of as long as I gave them measurements. I have a hard time believing that Keystone has no access whatsoever to this part, given that the trailer is a 2010. (Perhaps I am wrong on that, and they really do not have any parts inventory for a trailer that is now 6 years old).

Thank you.

dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
heatkits

Check this site ut

Check these guys out... I got a fender for my Cougar from them

www.trekwood.com
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Have you checked the list of suppliers set as a sticky in this forum.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12986
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've heard lots of good things about Trekwood so you might give them a shot. As far as fenders, skirting etc. and Keytone's ongoing support:

When I first bought my 2014 Cougar High Country I lost multiple sets of fenders that came loose or fell off while driving; all due to design error and/installation defects. I bought it at the end of March 2014. By August of 2014 my service manager was telling me that parts were hard to get for it because it had been "discontinued"! Apparently that particular model was cut because it cost too much for a bumper pull and it only ran 11/2-2 years because it wouldn't sell. On my last warranty repair he ordered me a complete spare set of fenders and gave them to me because they could not get the original color. Thankfully they are a very close match to what I have so I won't have to do anything to them when I have to install them. In the meantime I have a spare set so I don't have to worry about using the all black option. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
kimanderson98642

I'm going through the same thing on a 2011 Cougar, Tire tore things up pretty good along with the insulation underneath so I need to somehow figure out a way to seal up the bottom. I was told that camping World has someone that can order factory parts if they have the Vin Number. If they can't I will try Trekwood. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
dirt33

I have spent quite a bit of time on Trekwood's site. I am not able to find the exact fender that I need, nor the skirting "j wrap" piece. I will likely call them to see if I can get any further. Have also spent a bunch of time searching every single link listed in the sticky post (long before starting this thread), and haven't come up with anything. I know that I am now at the point where it will likely take "working the phones" to make any further progress.

The dealer I have been in contact with has moved real slow on the request, so I don't feel real optimistic that they will end up being much good. (Certainly not if in fact the parts are no longer available from Keystone). The dealer also put forth the standard "oh it will probably cost $100 for a crate to be built to ship the parts in, and then additional freight charges on top of that, that we won't be able to confirm until AFTER they arrive here..... We never know what the charge will end up being..." I attempted to mention the possibility of having the parts put in a trailer delivery coming this way, as I have seen mentioned on here. They acted like they have either never heard of that concept, or simply don't care to try hard enough to have something like that arranged. Perhaps I will simply try to contact a different dealer, as the one nearest me doesn't seem too ambitious (I am not terribly shocked that an OEM parts issue for someone who has never been a customer of theirs is not high on their list of priorities).

We'll see... I know the parts exist somewhere out there. It will just be a matter of finding them.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Try these Trekwood links:

http://www.trekwood.com/products/223...e-Champagne-BL

http://www.trekwood.com/products/223...P-SE-Met-Khaki

http://www.trekwood.com/products/223...-Around-Bottom

If they aren't what you're looking for, a phone call to Trekwood would likey get you what you need. Cost??? Make sure you've got your defibrillator handy when you ask !!!

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
dirt33

Thanks for the links JRTJH. A step in the right direction for sure. I intend to call Trekwood soon. (Also leaning towards getting a few replacement decals from them)
Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
dirt33

I have been in contact with Trekwood since last Thursday. They are able to get the parts. The fender does indeed only come in black. The metal "j wrap" piece only comes in white, and only in a 120" length (the piece I need is only 30").

Total cost for the parts and shipping to Texas will be a little over $400. And then of course I will have to have the parts painted (as well as cutting the metal trim piece to size).

So, good to know that I can obtain the parts, but certainly will be spendy given how small the damaged area is. I would urge anyone "thinking about trying to get one more season out of China Bombs" to consider the potential costs associated with damage repair such as this. That is not to say that even the most expensive tire couldn't fail... However, I tried to extend the China Bombs on this trailer, and this is what happened. I gladly would go back and just spend the $600 or so that I did on new tires BEFORE this happened, instead of after. But, lesson learned I guess.

For anyone needing similar parts, Trekwood has been good to deal with. When you call the number on their website, you will reach "Tiara RV Sales". The gal I was then transferred to has been helpful with Trekwood parts. We have communicated almost entirely via email, as I wanted to send the photos/measurements and have everything in writing. She also mentioned that, if a particular item shows "no image available" on the Trekwood website, they usually do in fact have a photo available that they can email to you. She sent me photos of the parts that I am ordering, and they are not photos that are viewable on the website.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Any thought of checking with a local body shop, sheet metal shop or even a RV repair company for the j wrap. And than paint it. Seems it could be done and much less than buying a large piece.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
trucker LOU

Hey Dirt, I had to do a similar repair,fenders etc. I took piece of broken fender to Lowes paint dept and got paint color matched ,brushed on and looks 25 good.That's 25 ft or 25mph. you could do the same with the sheet metal as there does not seem to be another panel next to it.----jm2c----Lou
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:57 AM   #12
mazboy123

you can try finding out where the rv dealers get their j warp. you'll probably have to get it painted. good luck
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
dirt33

Good points that you guys have made, thank you. I do have a local RV dealer here in town, they are not a Keystone dealer but perhaps the metal "j wrap" piece is used on other makes? Or, perhaps they would happen to have a section of it from previous work on a Keystone (I know they will work on pretty much any RV)? If not that, I guess checking with Camping World or other RV body shops in the DFW area probably would be a great idea, not only to save from having to buy a 120" piece, but also the $200+ to have it crated/shipped.

I haven't thought to check with a body shop or sheet metal shop. My concern is that the j wrap piece has a certain texture to it, that no piece of smooth/flat sheet metal would duplicate. If painted well and installed well, a flat/smooth piece probably wouldn't be noticeable to most folks. But, I am the type that will never be satisfied with the end result if I know in my mind that it isn't "the exact match", or as close to it as I can get.

Taking a piece to Lowe's to paint match is definitely an option I had considered. I am told that Keystone not only cannot make any paint available, they also are not able to provide a paint code. The "metallic khaki" finish of the metal j wrap piece certainly won't be able to be duplicated with an "off the shelf", readily-available can. (Unless I would REALLY happen to get lucky and stumble upon one....)

I was nearly ready to place the Trekwood order today, but I think I will do a bit more digging first. Thank you for the ideas.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
dirt33

Just a final "follow up", in case anyone else is in the same boat that I was in. I checked around with some RV shops/dealers, and found plenty of sheet metal, but none of it had the same texture as the Keystone j wrap piece, nor did anyone have any with the 2" radius bend at the bottom.

I ordered from Trekwood, and the entire dealings with Trekwood was good. The plastic fender arrived in a box via UPS 6 business days after I placed the order, and the metal j wrap piece arrived via truck freight (Ceva) in 7 business days. Both pieces are correct, intact, etc. I was impressed with the crating job done to ship the 120" long metal piece. It took me 10 minutes or so just to get enough of the staples removed to open the end of the wooden crate far enough to confirm that the j wrap piece is not only correct, but that the 2" radius bend is in fact "in place" on the piece. Tonight I will finish taking the crate apart to get the piece out. Then, it will be matter of cutting the 30 or so inches off that I need, and getting both parts painted to match.

It was expensive to obtain these parts, yes. But, I am happy that I now have what I need to fix the damage correctly. Mainly just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that may be seeking similar parts.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #15
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
I ordered from Trekwood, and the entire dealings with Trekwood was good. The plastic fender arrived in a box via UPS 6 business days after I placed the order, and the metal j wrap piece arrived via truck freight (Ceva) in 7 business days. Both pieces are correct, intact, etc. I was impressed with the crating job done to ship the 120" long metal piece.
Good to hear the about the success you had. Based on posts like yours, I've got them bookmarked in my browser, in that off-chance I'll need them as well.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
dirt33

OK, one more "final" update, mainly to pass on another piece of info. I was told by Keystone that, while they cannot make paint or a paint code available, they do use Sherwin Williams for all paint. I went first to my local Sherwin Williams "regular" store, and was told that I would need to go to a Sherwin Williams Automotive store. While the Automotive store couldn't find any info/codes specific to Keystone in their system, they scanned my damaged piece and had a pint of paint mixed up in about 20 minutes. It was costly, at just over $100 for paint, reducer, and hardener. But, it is high quality paint.

I used a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun and put three coats on the fender and j wrap. The color/sheen was a perfect match to the rest of the trailer. I was totally satisfied with the end result. Everything is now put back together. All in all, the total cost of parts/shipping/paint is enough to be in the category of "I won't even think about that any longer...." I have 80-90" inches of the metal j wrap piece left over (white in color) and the crate that it was shipped in, if there is anyone else out there that has the need for a similar repair job.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Dirt33,

The picture gives the impression that you've done an excellent job of repairing your RV. Congratulations on the accomplishments !!!

A suggestion, since the paint won't stay "fresh" very long in the can, you might consider painting the rest of your stock. Once it's dry, you'll have enough J wrap to repair any other damage you might (hopefully won't) encounter without having to buy more paint a year from now. Just a thought. I tend to put things like that off and wind up paying for more "expendables" when I need another piece.....

Again, great looking job !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
dirt33

JRTJH,

Thank you, and you have a good idea in painting the rest of the j wrap now while the paint is good. The painting went quite a bit better than I thought it might, as I don't have much experience in automotive painting. Finishing the piece now and putting the crate away in the attic would certainly come in handy some day should I ever suffer any more damage.

I also will be elated in the rare event that someone contacts me saying that they are seeking a piece of this j wrap (not only to recoup a small portion of my cost, but also to help someone else out and save them such a great expense). But, if that doesn't happen, I will definitely be glad to have this piece on hand should it ever be needed.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
Hey Dirt, I had to do a similar repair,fenders etc. I took piece of broken fender to Lowes paint dept and got paint color matched ,brushed on and looks 25 good.That's 25 ft or 25mph. you could do the same with the sheet metal as there does not seem to be another panel next to it.----jm2c----Lou

It's very very difficult to get a good smooth gloss "backyard" finish using non-commercial paints and without a paint booth. Sometimes, it's much easier - and actually less expensive, to take a sample in to your local auto refinisher, some of them have paint-match devices, and just let them paint for you. By the time you were to purchase a minimum quantity of paint, flex agent, appropriate primer, easy to be in for $200+.

Barring a smooth gloss finish, you can still make it look factory at home.
Buy:
1) SEM-39793-Heavy-Texture-Guard
2) Paint.

The SEM creates a very granular texture, which gets sprayed on. It's also flexible. The farther away you spray it, the more "grain" it has. Light coats only.

When you paint it, this texture hides all the imperfections typical of at-home paint jobs. It ends up looking like a spray-bedliner (colored appropriately) - it's also a very resilient finish.

I've used it on custom bumpers and often on flat-bed trailers. I've put simple brush-on Rustolemum over it as well as high quality automotive finishes, both work well.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
gratefulrambler

Hey Dirt, do you still have that extra 80-90" of j-wrap? I just had a blow out on my Sprinter and I need to get this thing repaired before my next trip. PM me if you still want to sell that extra metal.
gratefulrambler is offline   Reply With Quote