Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
rugermark2

Blue Ox Bed Saver or Butchs latch kit?

Does anyone us the blue ox bed saver? Is it worth price? Does anyone use Butchs latch kit? I keep hearing all these horror stories about dropped 5th wheels.
rugermark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
cmlong

Blue Ox Bed Saver

I have the Blue ox. Before I got it I got too involved in talking to another camper when I was unhooking the trailer, dropped it on the bed, $1,250.

Since I have installed it I have also been very careful so as not to have it happen again.

2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.6
2016 Alpine 3600
cmlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
turbopilot51

X2 on the Blue Ox bed saver. For obvious reasons.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
jsmith948

I've heard the horror stories as well. I have driven over the road pulling semi trailers for 2.5 million miles. Never had a fifth wheel hitch come loose (touch wood). Just make sure your hitch is mechanically sound and working properly. Make absolutely sure that the jaws of your hitch are latched around the king pin by visually confirming that they are latched as well as doing the 'tug test'. Make sure that when you hitch your trailer, that your trailer's pick up plate contacts the hitch 'ramp' about 2/3 the way up so that, when you back under the trailer, the pin box rides up on the fifth wheel hitch plate. This will prevent a high hitch, which happens when the trailer is positioned too high and the hitch jaws latch around the flange of the king pin instead of the shank (you will think it is latched, but it will slip out of the jaws when you turn). Fifth wheel hitches are the safest type of hitch - that's why you aren't required to use safety chains with a fifth wheel hitch. If you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing when hooking up your trailer, you don't need a bed saver. JMHO - FWIW:

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
rugermark2

Thanks for the information. My maiden voyage is this weekend and I have only towed from the dealership, just want to be safe as I can be.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
randy69

Installed blue ox in 2009 gives me scurity ( just in case) just as a power management read out for my electrical.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
X2 on the Blue Ox bed saver. For obvious reasons.
Well IF i was to get one it would be the Blue Ox as it is automatic, for the same reason you would drop the 5er, you would forget to latch the Butch's.

I don't see the need for either, I pull with the notorious Reese 16K twin jaw, and have forgotten to latch the lock TWICE!

The first time I drove a 1/4 block before I hopped out and locked it.

The second time I drove over 20 miles on freeway and country roads, stop signs, turns, rail road crossings. Discovered it when I went to unhitch at a weigh station to figure pin weight!!!

This is why I believe in the Reese 16K, and that 99.9% of 5er dropped from it are high hitched. The design is such that the harder you pull, it forces the jaws shut due to the location of the pivot points!!

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
mguay

I have a one from Butch and LOVE it. The best part is the price! When I bought it they were 1/2 the price of the Blue Ox.

As rhagfo stated it CAN be another thing to forget...however there is NO need to open it to hook up. You can drive under it and then drop the king pin in front of it.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I don't use one, to be honest had never heard of it until this post (where have I been), but I really don't see a need. Would it be a good insurance plan, absolutely and much cheaper than deductible for any repairs. The reason I don't see a need for it, as others have stated, I believe disconnects are due to human error, high pin hook-ups, forgetting to latch the hitch etc. I am anal about checking everything 2-3 times before I start driving. I check pin height, I lock the hitch, I do a pull check. I get in the truck to drive away, then question if I checked everything and go through it all over again. I've seen trucks with the bed rails smashed from dropping a trailer on them, I don't want that to happen to me, my truck, or my RV. Did I mention that I double and triple check everything? The Blue Ox would probably provide peace of mind, but I would worry more about causing complacency with some people.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
rugermark2

Since I haven't hooked up my 5th wheel by myself I am a little paranoid. I had a really good routine with my travel trailer, I never forgot anything. I think I just need to develop a new one for the 5th wheel. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
rugermark2

Quote:
I pull with the notorious Reese 16K twin jaw
What does this mean? I have the same hitch.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
webslave

I have Butch's unit; I was the first one to successfully modify the unit for a B&W Companion hitch. I like it. It isn't "automatic" like the Blue Ox unit, but, it is light enough that I can still remove the Companion by myself with it attached and it is hard to miss it being "activated". That really long handle with the red hand grip is kind of obvious and it does eliminate a "hitch failure" problem or a high hitch (not conceivable to me with the B&W). To make it harder to not latch Butch's saver, the handle is right by the 7 pin connector in the bed of my truck. If I'm ever brain dead enough to have to move the handle out of the way to plug the 5er in without engaging the unit, then I'll be selling the 5er and retire to my porch to watch the grass grow.

So, no it isn't "automatic" like the Blue Ox, but, it is one more step in insuring that I don't do something really dumb; it is possible that I might not lock the jaws (but, the B&W locks if the pin is in the hitch), but, it would be a very rare instance where I would not lock the handle and not latch Butch's saver. I got mine real early and paid ~$50 for it and to me that is very cost effective "insurance" against the one time, even after checking multiple times, that I do something "human".

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
rugermark2

I think I will probably get the butchs latch kit it's only $69. When I picked up my 5th wheel the service tech told me I should get one, he said he's dropped one before and that it would be cheap insurance. I just didn't believe him I thought they were just trying to sell me something else.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
I have a one from Butch and LOVE it. The best part is the price! When I bought it they were 1/2 the price of the Blue Ox.

As rhagfo stated it CAN be another thing to forget...however there is NO need to open it to hook up. You can drive under it and then drop the king pin in front of it.
Exactly the wrong way to hook up a 5th wheel hitch!! The NUMBER ONE reason for high hitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermark2 View Post
What does this mean? I have the same hitch.
Because most "Dropped 5er's" happen with a Reese, it is assumed that it is a faulty hitch. It is also the most used hitch out there, if 75% of 5er are towed with one, it for sure will have the most drops.
I believe that used correctly, it is one of the best hitches on the market, I bought it for the jaw design. (Illustrated in an earlier post)

I ALWAYS hitch up with the pin lower than the hitch head by about and inch to an inch and a half.

I also leave the handle closed, but not locked this way the jaws will open when I back in, and shut once the pin is all the way in. I can then do a "Pull Test" with most of the weight off the pin, if I high hitched it would be easier to pull out with less weight on the pin.

Once done, I lock the handle hook up the breakaway switch, and do a VISUAL check of the pin and jaws.

One other thing I did as safety measure, I modified the release handle, so it no longer turned up.

I went from this.

To this in less 15 minutes, simply cut just past the elbow up and now it is flat and out of the way of a swinging pin box.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
rugermark2

Quote:
I ALWAYS hitch up with the pin lower than the hitch head by about and inch to an inch and a half
This is exactly what my owners manual says.
The only reason why I was thinking of getting a bed saver or latch kit was I was concerned that the hitch didn't have enough safety features. It is sounding like they are safer than a travel trailer ball and hitch.
The Reese hitch I have look like your bottom picture. The handle is flat face the cab. Reese must have changed there design.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Exactly the wrong way to hook up a 5th wheel hitch!! The NUMBER ONE reason for high hitching.
Actually I think you misunderstood me. I will try to explain it better...

With the distance between the Butch Latch and the jaws you could go over the latch and then set the pinbox down on the hitch well behind the jaws.

I have no idea why you would want to do this other than being lazy and not wanting to pull the lever while opening the jaws and then pushing it back while locking the hitch handle.

I do agree that High Hitching is the number one reason for a dropped 5er.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #17
dave-g

interesting- one thing I did that really helps- I painted the back edge of the hitch jaws white. That way when looking in the hitch to confirm it is latch the jaws jump out.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
interesting- one thing I did that really helps- I painted the back edge of the hitch jaws white. That way when looking in the hitch to confirm it is latch the jaws jump out.
I have also done this, and I also painted the bottom of the pin florescent orange, just to make the visual check that much easier!!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #19
americanrascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post

X2 Have had one for a year or so and love it. Installed in about 20 minutes. No spills no drops no errors
americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
BeaverRZR

Had this happen last thursday. Completely my fault as i broke from my normal hookup routine. Wont need a Bedsaver now as the wife will never let me forget this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6406   Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	6407   Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ3.jpg
Views:	323