Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
homer3

Washing the Roof

does anyone have a preference as to what type of cleaning suds they use when cleaning the rubber roofs on there 5ers

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

On an overcast day, mix blue Dawn dish soap, about 1/2 cup with a couple gallons of warm water. Add a cup of Borax if the roof is really dirty. Sweep the roof, dry brush the heavily soiled spots, wet the roof, apply soap solution, brush thoroughly, allow to set for 15 to 30 minutes (not in the hot sunlight) then brush again, rinse thoroughly, (Don't forget the runoff on the trailer side walls) and allow to dry.

Reinspect, and repeat for any remaining soiled areas.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I've used Dawn and it works well. If you want to use a dedicated rubber roof cleaner, I like the Dicor Ready to Use. Works well and you can't go wrong with a product made by a company that knows RV roofs. Following up with the Roof Guard is a good idea as well. Most RV dealers as well as CW have kits with both products.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
therink

I also use Dawn solution with water and a medium coarse deck brush. I make a point to hand scrub self leveling caulk areas to remove algae and soot and inspect these areas for gaps/cracks.
I think it is not good to brush too hard on the membrane as over time can cause premature thinning of the surfaces.
Occasionally, I will add some bleach to the wash solution to remove mildew.
Because I park under trees, I wash the roof about once a month. A clean roof and gutters help keep the sidewalls clean and minimizes black streaks.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Vet4jdc

If you want to use a rubber roof product...I like to use the "Protectall Rubber Roof Cleaner" and conditioner. Works well for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Exsailor

OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Why not use the Roof cleaner/protectant they sell at RV stores? I'm all for Dawn, but why would we not use the stuff that was made for and sometimes made by the company that made the roof?

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Why not use the Roof cleaner/protectant they sell at RV stores? I'm all for Dawn, but why would we not use the stuff that was made for and sometimes made by the company that made the roof?
You certainly can use the "stuff that was made for and sometimes made by the company...". It's usually about $15 for enough to do the roof one time. Most of us use Dawn and Borax because it's about $1 for enough to do the roof one time and because it's usually very handy around the house without having to go to the RV store to get more. Through trial and error and experience, we've found that there's little or no significant difference in the results both "short term" (cleanliness) or "long term" (durability/reliability) with either method.

It's really a matter of whether you want to follow the instructions "to the letter" or whether you want to "ad lib" enough to save money.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You certainly can use the "stuff that was made for and sometimes made by the company...". It's usually about $15 for enough to do the roof one time. Most of us use Dawn and Borax because it's about $1 for enough to do the roof one time and because it's usually very handy around the house without having to go to the RV store to get more. Through trial and error and experience, we've found that there's little or no significant difference in the results both "short term" (cleanliness) or "long term" (durability/reliability) with either method.

It's really a matter of whether you want to follow the instructions "to the letter" or whether you want to "ad lib" enough to save money.
And after you are done and it is just as clean as with the expensive stuff you will have extra money to buy some adult beverages, relax and admire your good work.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Whitewolf

I use Thetford Premium. Yes, it's about $25 a gallon. I cleaned the roof on the Passport we used to own 3 times and still have half a gallon left.

I figure on the High Country I'd get 3 washings per gallon. I spend more than that at the car wash washing the truck.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Adventurider

If you do some searching, even the manufactures will say that Dawn is probably the best and only thing you need to clean your roof. Borax is a great addition though.

Most, if not all even state that the "protectant" that some companies sell are not needed, and actually state it's better to not use them.

Most RV focused companies rely on the fact that most people will only buy and use things that are labeled for RV's and at a premium price.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

EVERYONE HAS TOLD YOU WHAT THEY USE. I'LL TELL YOU WORK SLOW AND BE CAREFULL SOME STUFF UP THERE BREAKS EASY WHEN YOU FALL ON IT AND YOU BREAK EASY IF YOU HIT HE GROUND! BE SAFE OH AND I USE THE DAWN /BORAX. THAT WAY I CAN MAKE A FEW EXTRA MARGARITA'S
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
doit999

Is borax ok on the paint I thought it was fairly caustic?? Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
doit999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

I never had an issue. After washing the roof i wash the sides of the camper too!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
poop

I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Does a great job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
jimmyv13

Murphy's oil soap??? I've never heard that before.

I've used Dawn a few times and it worked fine. I didn't know about adding Borax, but I may try it to see if it shortens the scrub time. I am, though, about ready to build a structure to cover the trailer when in storage in the yard.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Pappydude

Talking

I "thought" I'd read something about this somewhere here before but danged if I can find it now!! I use Ivory liquid soapon my roof because I "thought" someone in a prevous post had recommended it. I have several bottles of it because every time I'd go to the store I "thought" I needed some from the last time I washed the roof.
Ivory seems to work well. I used Dawn prior to Ivory - had it under the kitchen counter. I haven't seen much difference between the two however.
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote