Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Jabber2Jake

How many miles before brake shoes need to be replace?

Thank you for the replies to my previous post about how to change brakes. The Youtube video was very informative.

I was wondering how many miles everyone gets before they have
to replace brake shoes? I have logged 12K miles so far.
Should I be concerned at this point?
Thanks.
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
bsmith0404

You're going to love this answer......it depends. Miles are the worst indicator of when to change brakes. If you do 500 miles a year on winding, twisting, hilly roads and I do 5000 miles a year on the highway, you will be changing brakes before me. Even if we drive the same roads you may have your brake controller set tighter than I do causing more wear. You just have to check them from time to time. Told you you'd love the answer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post

Thanks.
Here's another vague, "generic" reply which echoes ("It depends.")the previous response. A lot of our travel involves driving in the mountains - up, down, hardly ever a flat, level stretch of road. Consequently, the brakes on our Cougar get a good workout and will wear faster than most. I never keep a log on how many miles they have on them. They get serviced, adjusted and replaced on a frequent and regular basis.

If you've logged 12k miles so far and you haven't checked them, it's probably time you did. The links and videos that were suggested to you in your previous thread/question seemed to have given you the tools to check and perhaps service your brakes. Good luck with your "brake maintenance".
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Bluewater

I have over 20k on our 2011 Laredo 310re 5er and had wheels repacked and they said hardly any wear visible so lots of miles left. We do travel the mountain west area so we use the brakes a lot. i was happy to hear they were wearing well.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
hankaye

Jabber2Jake, Howdy;

I'd say that you can run them until they complain about their rivet heads
getting heated up from rubbing on the inside of the wheel. Always a solid
indication they should be replaced. (said tongue in cheek) ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

I have 8,000 with trips North to Washington so figure 3 or 4 passes from So Cal and back. I check them every 3,000 miles so I've checked them twice so far and still going strong. But.....I use the exhaust brake coming down the passes and on rare occasion use the brakes.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
theeyres

I put almost 30,000 miles on our Arctic Fox when full-timing and every time I had the brakes checked were told they looked fine. Never even needed them adjusted. And I spent much time in the Rockies as well as in the East in mountains. But I also always made sure I came down the slopes slowly and used the Tow Mode in our Chevy that downshifted automatically to hold the trailer's speed down, so seldom had to ride the brakes. Once I got the Prodigy controller adjusted, I never dinked with it and just let it do it's thing.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
Thank you for the replies to my previous post about how to change brakes. The Youtube video was very informative.

Thanks.
Everything said above .. I also have one of the infared temperature guns. After a few hours where I have used the trailer brakes or not I get out and check the temperature of all rims and tires including the truck. It will tell you if any of the brakes are sticking or improperly adjusted. For the tires it will let you know if there is a possible tread separation or low tire pressure. I look for each trailer wheel\tire to be the same or close and the same for the truck. If one tire or rim is much hotter its time to look deeper.

These infrared things go for about $30. Well worth the cost. On a side note..... We use it to get foods to the right temperature before eating .... like soup.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Johnboy

Smile Brake Replacement

Our 2007 3000RK went 20K miles before it needed new shoes. I had the entire assemblies replaced with Dexter Never Adjust assemblies.
Johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
Everything said above .. I also have one of the infared temperature guns. After a few hours where I have used the trailer brakes or not I get out and check the temperature of all rims and tires including the truck. It will tell you if any of the brakes are sticking or improperly adjusted. For the tires it will let you know if there is a possible tread separation or low tire pressure. I look for each trailer wheel\tire to be the same or close and the same for the truck. If one tire or rim is much hotter its time to look deeper.

These infrared things go for about $30. Well worth the cost. On a side note..... We use it to get foods to the right temperature before eating .... like soup.

Bill
I see prices all over the place on those, but saw an HDE brand on Amazon for less than you said. Just checked Amazon for others in the price range and it looks like the BAFX brand is well reviewed. Thanks for the idea.