Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
lazaras12

Used Keystone Montana

Just bought a 2004 Montana 2955RL 5th wheel. this is my first RV. It has the arctic package and a 4k propane Onan generator. I plan to use it on my own property as a hunting cabin. until I can get utilities installed it will be operating off the grid. Any tips for a first timer are appreciated. I plan to use it when it is cold out as we are in the Catskills New York and hunting is from mid October until end of December. I will not be leaving it on site but will tow home and plug in on Long Island, NY during the week. Any tips for a first timer are appreciated.
Are there any good books on camper upkeep and maintenance out there?
lazaras12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
antiqfreq

First of all, welcome to our forum!

Secondly, let me congratulate you on your new to you camper.

And third, I will let others comment on operating you RV in cold weather,
etc as I am from South Florida and know nothing about the cold.
(Soon to learn though as we'll be living in 'colder' territory very soon.

Take care,

Jo/Moderator
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

CONGRATUALTIONS ON YOUR "NEW" PURCHASE and welcome to the forum. From your post, I am assuming that you will be using it as a hunting cabin on the weekends and taking it home and plugging it in during the week (???). Not sure about the temps in that area but I would think it would dip below freezing at that altitude and time of year.
Since you wont have any hookups, you might want to consider the following:
1) Take a portable heater with you - powered by your 4K generator. I often use "Mr. Buddy" - a portable propane heater that has a low oxygen cut off on it. It is safe for indoor use provided you crank open a window or have fresh air coming into the RV. Another option to consider in lieu of or in addition to a portable heater.
2) The Polar or Arctic Package is essentially a marketing gimmick leaving you with the impression that it will be of great use in continuous cold weather. It is not. You must have your furnace running in order for the water lines to receive any warm air. The enclosed underbelly wont offer you any effective protection against the cold. There are too many openings and gaps allowing cold air to easily penetrate the underbelly and large air space and your water lines. Don't be misled by this Arctic or Polar designation. If you can, you might consider covering as much of any exposed water lines as you can with foam pipe tubing.

If you do a Google search, you will find lots of information about books that are devoted to RV maintenance and repair. Some members will probably have some specific suggestions for you to consider.

Enjoy.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Jim W

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Here is a web base site that I have used before and like Festus2 has stated there is a lot of information on the web for you to look at.
http://rveducation101.com/traveltrailer.htm?siteID=0
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote