Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
What I found as I overtightened multiple transmission pan bolts, if the rotation force on the wrench's handle changed the approach angle of the socket by more than a couple of degrees, the gear action in the head locked out the "clicker point".

The wrench seemed to work as tested on my flat work bench with a vice. The force applied did not change the angle of contact with the test bolt and it "clicked" through a range of torgue settings successfully.

But as soon as I used it lying on the ground on my back in a precarious position, the gearing would lock up that "clicker point" and the bolt would be overtightened (or striped). After you strip out 2 pans bolts, it was "shame on me" time.
There's another point of experience that enforces my reluctance to use a possibly substandard torque wrench on tapered pipe thread brass injectors on an aluminum cylinder head.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
120 inch lbs !? Why not just use ft lbs wrench set @ 10 lbs. I'd never push an inch unit that far. But then again I only use an inch unit to check bearing preload.
Because 10 ft-lbs is at the bottom of or out of the range of my ft-lb torque wrenches. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their torque range. At least that is what I was taught a number years ago. Might be an old wive's tale...with apologies to DW's everywhere.

I also have a requirement for 50-60 in-lbs. A ft-lb torque wrench that I currently have won't cover that.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote