Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Removing Bugs

Several people have asked about removing bugs from the nose of their RV. I think I've posted about this product before, but can't remember for sure and if I have, it's been awhile.

Last year when we returned from a late July trip, I put the 5er away with the nose still covered with bugs. I had every intention to pull it out on a cool morning instead of trying to clean it in triple digit heat. Then some friends stored some stuff in front of my 5er for what was supposed to be a couple weeks and turned into several months.

We finally pulled it out, went on another trip and added some more bugs to the front to go along with the year old ones that were well baked by now. This morning I pulled it out and finally tackled the task of washing them off. Using a bug sponge that I use on the front bumper of my cars and trucks made quick work of the bugs. The entire front cap was clean and bug free in less than 15 minutes. There were a few stubborn ones, maybe 5 or 6 that needed a little encouragement from a fingernail, but the rest of them were gone quick and easy. Here is a link if you would like to purchase one. They seem very course, but do not scratch at all, you just have to let them soak for a few minutes before use. Best bug removal tool ever!

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/buf...FQS1wAodXVYNEw

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
jsmith948

Bug spatter is acidic. Anyone having traveled on 97 through Klamath Falls/Lake knows about the green bugs. Used to mix a strong solution of baking soda. Bugs would fizz and foam like battery acid. Cleaned the front of my cabinet truck with little or no elbow grease.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
jsmith948

Can over not cabinet!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Dave W

After our trip last fall through the South, our 5er's nose cap was well plastered with thousands of love bugs. The few days we spent in the NV,NM,Texas,LA 100+ temps made sure that were well embedded in the point that it took an hour to virtually scrape them off. I asked around and was told that dryer sheets worked well to remove them and an application of RejeX would make the next removal session very easy. OK, that nose is clean and RejeX applied -- but no bugs yet.

It ain't cheap but ... http://www.rejex.com/
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
After our trip last fall through the South, our 5er's nose cap was well plastered with thousands of love bugs. The few days we spent in the NV,NM,Texas,LA 100+ temps made sure that were well embedded in the point that it took an hour to virtually scrape them off. I asked around and was told that dryer sheets worked well to remove them and an application of RejeX would make the next removal session very easy. OK, that nose is clean and RejeX applied -- but no bugs yet.

It ain't cheap but ... http://www.rejex.com/
Used to use Rejex. This stuff works better:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=1705716
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote