Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
DaveW

Outback 210URS water valve access - solution found

I was trying to figure out how to access the water heater shutoff valves and the water pump, which are located under the jackknife couch. I also wanted to utilize the storage space under the couch. Anyway, I just took things apart and figured out a solution to the problem. My solution is found below. I thought someone else might benefit from this.
(I suppose this thread should have been put in 'Modifications and Upgrades', but it seems too late now.)
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry your having difficulties accessing the water heater bypass valve and the water pump. While I agree reaching blindly seems like a bad idea, I have done it numerous times. The pedestal that the couch sits on doesn't have an easily removed front panel and a "porthole" is seen by many as unsightly. While this design seems like it's meant to be frustrating, trust me when I say it's not as bad as some others I have worked on.

I have propped my tool bag under the couch so it won't "bite" me, you may want to consider making a prop rod to hold the couch at the right position to allow you to do what you have to.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
DaveW

My solution for easy access under the couch

Conversion of the Outback 210urs space under the couch

My objective was to allow easy access to the compartment under the couch both for the sake of the water valves and to use the open space under the couch. If a person does not really care about extra storage space and just wants to be able to periodically access the valves; I suppose the easier alternative would be to just remove the 3 plastic grommet covers and take out the screws, whenever access is necessary. Below is what I did to gain storage space and access.

In order to obtain a better view of the entire area, I removed the couch, although that is not necessary. The couch is in two sections, and each section is connected by two nuts on each side. I used a ratchet wrench, and started with the back section, then took off the seat section. Underneath the couch are the two metal brackets and the veneered wood sheet that covers the space on top. They are secured by screws, which can be removed. Before removing the metal brackets, you might make pencil marks for the screw holes, and notice which holes in the metal brackets were used (for my trailer, they used the front and back holes). They can be set aside to reveal the entire space. These should be replaced after you complete converting the space. When replacing the metal brackets, I aligned the brackets along the side of the top veneer sheet on both sides (since they had been installed somewhat cockeyed), drilled new smaller holes, and added a ¼ inch washer underneath each screw. An additional problem I had was that the left side of the couch was not secured; so I screwed a 2 ½ inch deck screw through the forward 2x2 into the rear wall, which solved the problem of a loose couch.

For the sake of converting the space, the first step is to pry off the 3 small plastic decorative covers from off the screws from the padded cover. This reveals the 3 screws which, when removed, will dislodge the full-length padded cover in front of the couch, which can be set aside, The thin baseboard at the bottom (about 5 inches wide) is connected by staples on each side and needs to be reused. I used a wider slotted screwdriver to carefully pry it loose from the inside; it is connected by staples on each side. This should be taken outside the trailer to carefully separate the 1x1 from the thin baseboard, which is also connected by staples. The 1x1 can be discarded, since I wanted to reconnect the padded cover with Velcro at the bottom, and move the thin baseboard to the top. Then I removed all the staples from the thin baseboard by pushing them with linesman pliers out far enough to pull them out the other side with needlenose pliers.
Next I reset the thin baseboard at the top of the opening with the stapled edge on the bottom where it won’t show (it will be covered up with the padded cover below it. In order to make it look good, I had to pry apart the front veneer on each side to pull out enough staples to make room for insertion of the thin baseboard underneath the front veneer. After slipping the thin baseboard under the veneer on both sides, I used a few brads across the top to nail the veneer and baseboard into the front at the top.
In order to make the padded cover look nice, I replaced the long screws with ½ inch wood screws to attach the grommets to the cover, but not protrude any further. Then the plastic decorative covers can be put back onto the grommets. At this point, it is ready for the padded cover to be positioned in front at the bottom and Velcro used to keep it in place on both sides. It looks like the Velcro adhesive backing may not be strong enough, so I may need to use small screws to keep it in place.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
DaveW

Continued conversion explanation

I thought some pictures might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2848.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	12617   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2851.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	12618   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2857.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	12621   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2858.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	12622   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2859.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	12623  

Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
cvin

i would like to see more pictures if you have any

thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
DaveW

I added more pictures and more explanation. I hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
cvin

thanks dave

looks awesome and lots of space down there

when mine gets done at the shop i need to take that apart and look at it, there is no space in these so every little bit helps...

thank you for posting more pics
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
DaveW

Glad I could help

You're right that space is a premium in these trailers. I just couldn't see letting all that storage area going to waste under the couch.
Once I took it apart, the job wasn't all that hard. Pulling the staples was a little tedious, but it didn't take all that long.

I hope it all turns out well for you

Tags
outback, water