Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 AM   #1
Hoffmac

Slide Out Will Not Work

I recently bought a 2004 cougar bumper pull. I had to replace the slide out floor due to it being rotten. Once I completed the construction I put the slide back in with no problems. During the construction I unhooked all the power sources. I unhooked the 30 amp cord to relocate it. I then hooked up everything back the way it was
After moving the RV to a different place I pushed the button for the slide out to go out and nothing happened at all. I hooked the battery up directly to the slide out motor and it went out then but it would not go back in. I have already done these things to it
1. Check the fuses and replaced a blown one
2. Regrounded it
3. I checked for anything blocking it and checked the seam.

This is my first RV and I have limited knowledge. I want to fix it myself due to finances.

I have not hooked the 30 amp back up to a power source yet. I am using a battery to run the slide out.
Hoffmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Your slide out motor is 12v so it either operate off the battery or the converter when hooked to electric. I'd recheck my other electric to it: wires, switches, etc to make sure that you have continuity. You did a major repair, are you certain everything got hooked back up again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

HI. YOUR SLIDE MOTOR IS A TWO WIRE 12 VOLT MOTOR. YOU PUT POWER AND GROUND DIRECTLY TO THE MOTOR AND IT WENT OUT. NOW SWITCH THE POWER AND GROUND AND THE MOTOR SHOULD RUN THE OTHER WAY AND BRING THE SLIDE IN. I AM ASSUMING THIS IS A DIRECT DRIVE GEAR SYSTEM SLIDE NOT HYDROLIC. SO IF THAT MAKES THE SLIDE GO BACK IN THEN ALL YOUR WOOD WORKING IS GREAT. NOW TAKE A VOLT METER AND PUT IT ON THE TWO WIRES THAT GO TO THE MOTOR. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH WAY YOU PUT THE LEADS ON. PUSH THE SWITCH YOU SHOULD SEE + OR - 12 VOLTS. PUSH THE SWITCH THE OTHER WAY. IF YOU HAD +12 VOLTS THE FIRST TIME YOU SHOULD SEE - 12 VOLTS AND IF YOU HAD -12 VOLTS THE FIRST TIME YOU SHOULD SEE +12 VOLTS. THE SWITCH REVERSES POWER AND GROUND TO MAKE THE MOTOR RUN THE OTHER DIRECTION. IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SWITCH IN + OR - THEN THE SWITCH IS MOST LIKELY THE PROBLEM. IF YOU DON'T SEE ANY VOLTAGE. GO TO THE SWITCH AND SEE IF THERE IS POWER AND GROUND AT THE SWITCH. IF THERE IS THERE IS A BROKEN WIRE SOME PLACE WERE YOU WERE WORKING. YOU CAN GET AN INEXPENSIVE DIGITAL VOLT METER AT ANY HARDWARE OR BOX STORE. GOOD LUCK.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
xrated

SaabDoctor..........Please turn off your Cap Lock....no need to yell!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

X RATED CALM DOWN. I TYPE MY REPAIR ORDERS IN CAPS LOCK. CUSTOMERS FIND IT EASIER TO READ. AND SINCE I ANSWER SOME POST AT WORK I DO NOT TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK. MY JOB COMES FIRST OR I CAN'T CAMP. IF I WERE YELLING I WOULD NOT NEED A COMPUTER YOU WOULD KNOW IT SORRY NOT A P.C PERSON. FUNNY I HAVE TURNED THE SOUND UP AND I CAN'T HEAR ANY DIFFERANCE FROM this to THIS. Have a great week end
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Frank G

FYI the federal highway department has rewritten all its signage requirements to cater to an aging population. In the rules it stated all words will start with a capital letter and the remainder be in lower case. Easier To Read at a distance and at speed.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

I hope no one is reading a repair order while driving
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
X RATED CALM DOWN. I TYPE MY REPAIR ORDERS IN CAPS LOCK. CUSTOMERS FIND IT EASIER TO READ. AND SINCE I ANSWER SOME POST AT WORK I DO NOT TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK. MY JOB COMES FIRST OR I CAN'T CAMP. IF I WERE YELLING I WOULD NOT NEED A COMPUTER YOU WOULD KNOW IT SORRY NOT A P.C PERSON. FUNNY I HAVE TURNED THE SOUND UP AND I CAN'T HEAR ANY DIFFERANCE FROM this to THIS. Have a great week end
Well see, here's the thing, you're posting on a forum, not typing a repair order.....and all CAPS on the interwebs is yelling. And BTW, I'm calm, just telling you not to yell at everyone!

Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffmac View Post
I recently bought a 2004 cougar bumper pull. I had to replace the slide out floor due to it being rotten. Once I completed the construction I put the slide back in with no problems. During the construction I unhooked all the power sources. I unhooked the 30 amp cord to relocate it. I then hooked up everything back the way it was
After moving the RV to a different place I pushed the button for the slide out to go out and nothing happened at all. I hooked the battery up directly to the slide out motor and it went out then but it would not go back in. I have already done these things to it
1. Check the fuses and replaced a blown one
2. Regrounded it
3. I checked for anything blocking it and checked the seam.

This is my first RV and I have limited knowledge. I want to fix it myself due to finances.

I have not hooked the 30 amp back up to a power source yet. I am using a battery to run the slide out.
A couple of things come to mind here. You said you replaced a blown fuse....any idea what caused it to blow (wires hooked up wrong possibly). If you have someone that can help you, and you are comfortable with using a Volt/Ohm Meter, have someone operate the slide switch and if you can determine which limit switch (if there is a limit switch) is in the circuit for putting the slide out, check and see if there is voltage at both terminals of the limit. You'll need to put one of the motor leads on "ground" and the other on each terminal one at a time.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
NWRick

These units if operated by an electric motor have reversing polarity. So both wires going to the motor will either be the ground or the power depending on what direction the motor is operating. So, your switch has two power and two ground and then one power out and one power in. Depending on the position of the switch will determine what wire will be energized and which one will act as the ground.

I had a similar issue and discovered a bad wire grounding out. So when the grounded wire was acting as the ground the slide moved in, but when I tried to move it out it would blow the fuse because the wire used to power out was a direct short.

So, make sure your motor is functioning as designed. Use a multi meter to understand the switch operation. Then trace the wire that blows the fuse. You can test the switch to insure that its operating as designed...
NWRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
BuxCamper

You may need a battery connected even though shore power is available to get enough power for the slide motor. Newer Keystone's have this requirement. The order of the circuit breakers from the battery could come into play too.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
You may need a battery connected even though shore power is available to get enough power for the slide motor. Newer Keystone's have this requirement. The order of the circuit breakers from the battery could come into play too.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Correct ~~ my 2016 Cougar 5er has a sticker near the control box that states use slides only when connected to shore power. I have opened/closed them several times without but possibly asking for motor problems..

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out