Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Lost

Roof

We had our camper up north this summer parked under pine trees. The roof is now black. Question: has anyone ever tried a light power wash on their roof or is that to much pressure?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I used a 2800 PSI pressure washer on my TPO roof last week. I applied a "hot water/Dawn/bleach solution, let it sit for about 5 minutes, used a stiff bristle brush on a handle, scrubbed well, then used the pressure washer with a 25 degree nozzle held about 8 inches away from the surface to "power rinse" the remaining black spots away. If you decide to use a "high pressure washer" be sure not to bend the fins on your air conditioner and remember that if you do get "too close" to the TPO membrane, you can "cut or scar" it with excessive pressure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
roadglide

I use a pressure washer with 45 nozzle about 6 ft away with good results .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
cpaulsen

I just use Dawn dish soap and a brush.........works all the time.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Dave W

Any soap such as Dawn or Spic and Span as I've used will strip any wax away on the sides. My guess is that any cleaner you use with a pressure washer will as well - but at least you will have a clean roof and a reason to rewax your trailer and maybe, if so inclined, to empty multiple containers of your favorite adult beverage
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
MBD

"professional" RV wash/wax business' use power washers all the time. I'm not brave enough to use my power washer on any of my vehicles. The reason I bought the power washer was to strip whatever from the surface I wanted to clean.

Many years ago I was at the city maintenance barn to wash my work car, there was another guy ahead of me. He fired up the pressure washer and started on his car. By the time he realized what was happening, he had "washed" the paint of the front fender and half of the hood. It seems that some goofball from the street department decided to use our washer to clean asphalt out of a back-hoe bucket. He changed tips to maximize the cleaning power and when he was done, he neglected to put things back the way they were. Needless to say the boss was upset. The director of the street department had to pay for the car to be repainted. I'll use that power washer on concrete, hardy-plank siding, brick, and wood siding in good repair; but never will you find me using it on one of my vehicles.

Depending on the PSI of your washer, the tip angle (size), and the distance you keep the nozzle from the surface will determine if you will be successful or have a bigger problem.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote