Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
twindad99

Roof Leak - soft spot

During an especially heavy thunderstorm one night last week, my 2009 Springdale 266 began leaking water in the middle of the slideout (right over my seat at the table). The next day I got the ladder out and took a look and found an old repair over a soft spot on the roof. I've included the photo here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	11006. On inspection I didn't notice any obvious holes but that's the most likely source of the leak.
My question is whether I need to worry about the roof structure under the old patch or should I just patch over it with a piece of Dicor EPDM tape and lap seal without fixing the decking underneath?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
therink

I would say it depends how long it has been leaking or leaked before. If you throw a piece of Eternabond over it, sure it may stop the leak but it n my opinion looks like a low spot on the roof edge and where the AC condensate drains to. Not good. My guess is you have roof damage. Do you regularly inspect your roof?
By yhe way, your photo appears to be upside down.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
twindad99

Leak / Photo

Not sure how to rotate the picture, it looks normal on my computer.
The trailer is new to me about a year ago. I've been in in since purchase and this is the first time I've noticed the leak.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In your picture, it looks like the aluminum siding is corroded (the dark spots about 2" below the roof/side molding) and the dark stains on the EPDM roofing looks like that is the "normal drain route" for the air conditioner. If that is the case, then the "leak" may not only occur when it rains, but also every time you use the A/C. If the dark spots are corrosion on the aluminum siding, I'd suspect that the leak has been there for an extended time. Corrosion from the inside to the outside is a "sure sign" of further water damage behind that panel.

The Springdale is a wood frame trailer, constructed with 1x2 and 2x2 clear spruce, pine and some poplar. The roof structure is 3/8" OSB sheeting with wooden rafters supporting the structure.

Depending on how long the leak has been present, you may have minimal damage or it's possible that the leak has been there since the roof was patched, which could be a significantly long time. If that is the situation, then you could have some very significant water damage, rot and insulation damage. It could be as simple as a replacement EPDM patch and some quick sealing with DICOR lap sealant, or, with your description of a "soft spot", you could be in for some major repairs.

The only way to know for sure is to find someone who is skilled in assessing wooden frame trailers and seek their expertise. I wouldn't "ignore" the problem since that will definitely lead to even more damage and a more expensive repair.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote