Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
PT RV`er

Both slide outs in-operable

Went by the rig this afternoon to do my usual run thru before a trip and found a major problem. The DW and I are planning on heading out for the weekend Friday afternoon and return on Sunday afternoon. After all she still has not camped in it, so this will be her maiden voyage. As of now, she is not impressed.
As I usually do, I open up the rig and open the slide outs. But this time no go on the S.O. So I`m thinking GREAT, what could be the problem? I pull the owners manual out, might as well throw that in the trash, it`s pretty much useless. After all the checking I could possibly think of doing, still a No Go. I called the service dept at my dealer and this is the info they told me.
Unplug the shore power, disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes, that should reset the board for the controls to the slide outs according to Keystone. Gary says this usually works, but if not you have a bad control board. Well it didn`t work and come to find out Keystone is aware of this and stopped using this particular board in the 2014 models. So I will be heading back to the dealer first thing in the morning and hopefully we won`t have to scrub our trip.
So if any of you have this problem, it might be a bad board, I guess there will be a recall on this eventually.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Not sure which "board" you're talking about. Does your Passport have a remote control and you're speaking of the remote system? or ??? If you don't have a remote, the most likely cause is a broken 30amp circuit breaker mounted either alongside the slide motor or on the bulkhead just behind the battery rack.

Keep us posted on what's found and how they repair it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
airforceret

Sounds like the same control panel problem that is prevalent in Cougars. pretty much the same gyrations they had me go through. another alternative for me was to just pull the fuse for the panel and put it back in.

All has been good since the old panel was replaced by the new one.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
PT RV`er

Well after an early morning start to the dealer and getting there as they opened, they had me in and out in an hour. Simple fix for them , but something I over looked. Either way it`s still under warranty and I now know where to look if this happens again. Fortunately it wasn`t the main control panel, it was the 12V / 30amp circuit breaker as pictured below. I sure am hoping this will be it for awhile on issues with this rig. But I am learning a lot more about it I guess.
Here`s the part, a $5.00 part and I did pick up a few more to keep on hand in case this happens again.
And I just want to give more Kudo`s to RV Connections in Panama City for fantastic service.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
airforceret

Well good to see you are up and rolling. Have a great trip... don't fret the small things!!! Keep your eye on the prize... enjoying the moment and all the good things of RV traveling!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
abneynormal

heres a handy thing to save

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/video/video.htm
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I had one go out on my Arctic Fox during a trip. The slide was out. No cell phone service there. I checked everything but, that part because I did not know of it. I took out the slide motor so it closed, and blocked the slide from moving during travel. At home checked checked everything again including motor and phoned the factory. They told me about the breakless breaker and said they do fail but not often. I spend 4-5 hours trying to fix a problem that was a 2 min/5 dollar fix. There are a handly cheap item to keep one extra.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
abneynormal

Note

I don't know what kind of system you all have. but , my hydraulic system kicks off. I hear it click when it resets. yep it will quit one day I plan on getting a spare. until then I can straight wire it OR if the pump motor is bad take a drill and a 1/4 inch allen socket with extension. the motor should have a hole with tape over the end of it. remove it and insert the allen socket and the drill will let it in or out. also the link I shared is a complete how to for cable systems
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
FrayCan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT RV`er View Post
it was the 12V / 30amp circuit breaker as pictured below. I sure am hoping this will be it for awhile on issues with this rig. But I am learning a lot more about it I guess.
Here`s the part, a $5.00 part and I did pick up a few more to keep on hand in case this happens again.
And I just want to give more Kudo`s to RV Connections in Panama City for fantastic service.
Where is this breaker found on the RV?

I'm having troubles with my slides on my 2014 Cougar 330RBK. I can't move my slides in or out nor extend and retract my landing gear using the panel; however, I can use my remote to move everything.

This is the second time I've had issues with this panel.
FrayCan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayCan77 View Post

I'm having troubles with my slides on my 2014 Cougar 330RBK. I can't move my slides in or out nor extend and retract my landing gear using the panel; however, I can use my remote to move everything.

FrayCan77,

Your problems "may" not be caused by the breaker.... In Cougars, any action started with the remote MUST be finished with the remote. If you try to use the wall panel, it will not work until you finish what the remote started. ie: If you turn on the landing gear lights with the remote, the wall switch will not work to turn them off. But once you turn off the landing gear lights with the remote, the wall switch will work. Same with slides, landing gear, etc.

There are two operational circuits for all the remote functions. One is the wall panel system and the other is the remote system. Both of them are wired into the remote panel in the battery compartment. Once you use the remote, it disables the wall panel part of the circuit until the remote panel part completes the job. So, try resetting your remote panel by either turning everything off with the remote (then try your wall panel) or by disconnecting all power to the remote system (all 12 VDC batteries and converter) the easiest way to do that is to disconnect the battery and unplug shore power. Wait a few minutes, then reconnect power and see if your wall panel will work.

As for the resetting minibreakers, they are installed in different places in each model, but generally there is one on the positive battery terminal (close to the battery) and a couple (maybe more) in the battery compartment next to the remote panel. Usually they are covered by a red plastic cover that usually doesn't fit very well. They are most often "out in the open" and easy to spot, but following the positive battery cable will lead you directly to it.

Also remember that there was (maybe still is) a problem with the electronics in the wall touch panel. Keystone supposedly got that fixed, but there are probably still some units with bad wall panels installed in trailers. If you don't find what I've said above to fix your issues, you may want to contact the dealership to have your touch panel checked. I heard that Keystone was going back to the "conventional switches" on all their panels and doing away with the smooth surface panel, but all the RV's I've seen in dealerships still have the smooth panel installed. Maybe they are "older" units before the conversion or maybe Keystone is still using smooth panels. At any rate, try resetting the remote system, if that doesn't work, get your wall panel checked out......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayCan77 View Post

This particular circuit breaker is outside under the battery box mount. I`m not sure this is your problem if you can still operate your slides with a remote. The circuit breaker on mine killed all power to the slide out motors. You might want to ask a Keystone dealer about it or even take it in. It might be that you have the faulty control board my dealer was talking about.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
FrayCan77

Thanks guys, I had to take it in to the dealership once already for the panel buttons sticking, the slide would stay energized after you let off the switch. The only way to get it to stop was to press to button that turns the panel off. I temp fixed it by removing the wires from that particular switch on the backside of the panel and used the remote. The dealer said there was a wire that needed re soldered but I did find on here the reset steps (which I used at a later time) where you disconnect shore power and the battery and wait a few.

I tried these reset steps again with no luck. The panel itself still works, ceiling lights, water pump, and checking fluid levels. But the buttons that should activate something when it's held down, slide switches and even the outside switch for the landing gear don't work (they do on remote). So I was thinking it was a breaker somewhere after reading this post.

I'll do some more hunting around. We're on the road right now and will be until mid January. Perfect time for something like this to happen, second day of our trip.

Thanks again for all the info guys. I really want a regular panel with the flip switches. I see a mod in my future.

-Eric
FrayCan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
blitherland

all my 08 raptor does is "click" when I push the control panel button. Is there a breaker somewhere that needs to be replaced? This is very frustrating.
blitherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #14
blitherland

08 Raptor Slide issues

my 08 Raptor has slide issues that are similar to this. My slides quite working. I hear a click down by the pump when I push the switch. Is this a fuse issue or is this a solenoid issue. I bought a rebuilt pump but it's doing the same thing as the original.

By the way, some of you mentioned that you jumped the terminals on the solenoid to manually operate the pump. How do you do that? do you simply put a wrench or screwdriver across those posts on top of the solenoid?
blitherland is offline   Reply With Quote