Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
vampress_me

The slide frustrates me...

Our main slide has me stumped. I think I have figured out by watching Keystone's slide override videos that we have an electrical slideout. I can't find a pump/ reservoir anywhere, so I assume it isn't a hydraulic one. That leaves me with what LCI calls an electric slideout system - through frame, in the booklet that came with the camper.

I apologize up front for not knowing all the correct terminology in my explanation below.

Occasionally, it is making a "funny noise" when extending or retracting. "Funny noise" being heard only from inside the camper while pushing the button on the wall to extend/ retract and sounding like "clunks" or "bumps" from the front of the slide, but under the floor. Front of slide being the short 3' wide side wall closest to the front of the 5er that spends half its life inside the camper when the slide is retracted. What I can't figure out is when I'm outside next to/ half under the slide as my DH extends or retracts it, I can't hear anything that isn't a normal sound. But from inside you can hear it. The other goofy part is the sound is where the edge of the slide wall is, but under the floor, not 18" back from the edge of the slide wall where the long gear is (piece with many teeth on it shown in photo below). I assume the motor that runs the slideout is located next to the rear gear (toothy piece) not the front one (or at least the smooth piston runs alongside the rear gear, hence my assumption that is where the motor is located). So I'm not thinking it's the motor making the noise because of location. Also, the slide seems to extend/ retract evenly when comparing it end to end.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do or check? The gear teeth all look good, not obviously dirty and no pieces missing. But do I need to do anything for them? How about the piston? Does it need anything done?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
vampress_me

The photo I forgot in my post showing the gear teeth so you know what I'm talking about. The noise is closer to me taking the photo, in front of the brace you can see in the picture. So not in line with the long gear under the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	10913  

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

It sounds like your describing "skipping" or "jumping" gears.

LCI does have a "field fix" issued if I am correctly identifying the problem. If you think I'm understanding your problem PM me.

I don't want to just throw this information out there as I'm not sure it's issued for the general public, and I need to be sure we are on the "same page".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote