Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #1
smpremier

Loose screws in 26rbpr

I just bought a brand new 2017 26rbpr and on the second camping trip my wife was in the bathroom putting towels in the cabinets and when she opened it up it came off the wall on the top hinge. All the screws came off on that hinge. Had to go and get a little bit longer scews and installed them. I then went around the whole camper and found quite a few were loose including the shower doors which were very loose and I think one more trip and they would of crashed onto the floor they were so loose. Just wanted to warn other owners to go around their campers to periodically tighten all the screws. Thanks.
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpremier View Post
I just bought a brand new 2017 26rbpr and on the second camping trip my wife was in the bathroom putting towels in the cabinets and when she opened it up it came off the wall on the top hinge. All the screws came off on that hinge. Had to go and get a little bit longer scews and installed them. I then went around the whole camper and found quite a few were loose including the shower doors which were very loose and I think one more trip and they would of crashed onto the floor they were so loose. Just wanted to warn other owners to go around their campers to periodically tighten all the screws. Thanks.
Many change the wood screws to machine screws and nylock nuts to secure the hinges. We did not go that route. Rather, checking all the screws and plugging any that require a fix has become a spring preparation routine.

For us, balancing the wheels made a huge difference in eliminating screws loosening.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
bsmith0404

It's not just interior screws, do a check on your exterior. it's very typical to find many screw loose, backed halfway out, or missing. Many switch to machine screws with nuts where they can. On other screws, a little wood glue seems to help keep them in place.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
dcg9381

Like slow said, balance the wheels.
Exterior screws, use silicone or similar. I see that Grand Designs coats the backs of their fender skirt screws with a good deal of silicone.

We've had a few cabinets drop, largely if the cabinet locks were not setup right, the cabinet opens and puts a lot more stress on the hinge. If they strip, I fill the old holes with epoxy and then re-drill.

Any metal screw, silicone or similar.

You'll have it sorted out in no time.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
MissJordan

We had the same problem with most of the screws in our camper working themselves loose both on the in and outside. So we went through and replaced all the cabnets with better longer screws and haven't had a problem since. My husband was so mad that we'd spent thousands of dollars on a new camper for that to happen but they flex so much when towing i expected it. Now we probably have about 10,000 miles since replacing the screws and its cut down on the problem considerably but some still come loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote