Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
LarrynDeb

Front jacks on a fifth wheel

Duh I did do it. I have a 2012 Montana HC fifth wheel which during my last trip out I failed to raise the left front jack all the way up. I was fine till I pulled into my own driveway that the lowered jack just clipped the edge of my concrete drive and bent the bracket which holds the actual jack. Luckily the extended jack leg did not bend it was the bracket which holds the jack to the frame. Does anyone know how to bend this bracket back close to the factory position? I don't want to use heat as its in very tight corners with the actual floor of the fifth wheel and afraid of doing more damage than already done. Thanks in advanced for all of you advice in helping me resolve my problem.

Larry
LarrynDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
cardinal96ss

Well I think you lucked out. The bracket has demonstrated that it is the weak link in that system. I think pressure on the extension in the opposite direction that bent the bracket in the first place just may bend it back. Pulling on the end of the extension with a come-along or pushing on it with a bottle jack just may work. Either way you would somehow have to keep the trailer from moving as you apply the pressure, and of course figure out what to pull or push against. Also applying the corrective pressure slowly should enable you to watch the extension and the bracket to look for either good or bad progress. Sounds like a good Saturday morning project. Good luck.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #3
jsmith948

This is one of those times when a picture is almost essential. The questions i have are: How far is it bent out of alignment? Did the welds that attach the bracket to the frame break? Will the jack still run up and down smoothly?

If you are successful in 'tweaking' the bracket back into position I would check to make sure none of the welds are cracked. Look closely alongside the welded areas. These areas are more prone to fracture due to molecular change from the heat of the welding process. Consider how much weight is being supported by this leg. You cannot afford for this thing to fail.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote