Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Jmag215

How to level 2012 cougar 327res

We just upgraded to a cougar 327res from a 1985 kit companion this week. It has the electric jacks in front and manual scissor jacks in the rear, I have looked but haven't found any levels to be able to tell if the unit is level or not. Am I missing something or do I have to buy and add my own? The guy I bought it from only used it a couple times and didn't seem to know a lot about it either
Jmag215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We have two bubble levels we use. First, we have a small round level that we use on the kitchen counter and we have a 24" bubble level we sit on the vinyl flooring at the front door. I prefer the 24" level, but if we're only stopping for the night, my DW will sit the small round on on the counter and as long as 1/2 of the bubble is inside the ring, we're OK for an evening.

When you do level your RV, start with blocks under the wheels to get it level from side to side, then use the front jacks to level it front to rear. The scissors jacks on the back are to help stabilize the rig, not to lift it to make it level. So, don't try to lift your rig or level it using the rear jacks, you'll likely damage them with that much weight.

The levelling sequence is in the Keystone owners manual. If you don't have a copy you can download it from the Keystone website

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
Campy

Before I got a camper with auto-level I used a 24 inch bubble level and placed it in the door for front to back level and on the rear bumper for side to side. Always do the side to side first then use your front jacks to get the front to back dialed in.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Larry1013

I bought one of the Camco EZ/RV levels to use on the kitchen floor. It has the lights on the 4 ends that turn green when level front to back and side to side. I level side to side before I level front to back.

I also have the stick on bubble levels on all four sides since they are so cheap. These help me get close before I do the final leveling. You can the stick on bubble levels at Wal Mart or Camping world.

Camco EZ/RV
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...Z%2FRV&_sop=15

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
GaryWT

I use a 2 foot Stanley level. I open the door and put it on the floor. Be sure to do the side to side leveling before you unhook as you might need to get the boards or lynx levelers under the wheels. Once unhooked you can do the front to back. After awhile you will be able to eyeball it and get real close.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
Jmag215

Thank you for all your help!!!
Jmag215 is offline   Reply With Quote