Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
dan222

Smile New 2012 Cougar Xlite Model 28RBS

Hi, New here and was looking for some help/advice.
We are looking at the 2012 Cougar Xlite 28RBS and was wondering if anyone could tell us the pros and cons of the trailer. This will be our first trailer and the kids loved the double bunk layout. I have a Ford 150 Ecoboost with max tow so I should be good for pulling this.

Thanks in advance and enjoy browsing the forum, so much to read up on.
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Have you tried doing a search of the forum using our search feature? There may be some posts or comments about this particular model already on here. Welcome to the forum and hope you can find or receive some feedback about the Xlite.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
dan222

There is a show coming up near us in a couple of weeks so we can at least get another look at without the sales pressure.

I see a couple of users on the forum mentioned about the trailer hopefully they will come back soon.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Wayne

We had a similar 2011 X Lite 27RLS. It was approx 230 lbs less dry weight & 240 lbs less tonque weight than the model you are referencing. We towed with a tahoe W/tow package. Ours towed fine in the Carolina & Tenn mountains so your F150 Ecoboost should be much better. It has longer wheel base & larger tow capability. We did have an equalizer tow system plus friction bar, and brake controller. No issues with sway or braking. My DW wanted a BR slide so we ended up with a Cougar HC 5th after a year. We had a defective blind over the sink (X Lite) on delivery and it was never back for repairs. We felt it was good quality and a good value. Good luck
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
dan222

Thanks for the info. I know the trailer specs are high on the TW, but I don't see us traveling to far for our first year, so at least I will know how well the truck does with it.

I have seen a lot of good comments about the Keystone brand so I am hopeful that will carry on to our trailer.

Enjoy the camping season!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
dan222

Wow, with this warm weather I guess we will be making our choice soon. And hopefully the darn gas prices will retreat back to where they were.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
2011 keystone

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum
Warm or not our 1st trip is coming up on the 16th we cant wait
Like you I hope fuel prices come down but I sure would not hold my breath.
Diesel is up to $4.10 a gallon around here now
Regardless of fuel prices we will make the best of it and as always we will have a great time camping this year.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
dan222

Wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about the 28RBS?
DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
EcoboostKev

Hey Dan, I was also looking at the same trailer before we ended up with a 2012 Ouback 292BH. Your truck will tow the trailer without a problem but I want to know what the yellow sticker in your door jam says you have for payload? If my memory is correct the dry hitch weight is 955#'s on that trailer. The dry hitch weight on my trailer is 850#'s and I just had my truck and trailer weighed at a certified Cat scale. I had the truck and trailer loaded up ready to camp with the family and my truck weighed 7,520#'s . My trucks GVWR is 7700#'s. The combined weight for both was 14,780#'s. My GCWR is 17,100#'s. I am very close on my trucks payload limit so the best advice I could give you is to load your truck up with everything you would put in it for a trip along with passengers and a full tank of fuel and put it on a scale. Then minus that weight from your GVWR and that is what you have left for your trailer tongue weight.
Good luck!!! Kevin
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
dan222

Thanks Kevin, The are the specs GVWR 7650 Max Tow 11,300 GCWR 17,100. I wish I could get to a CAT scale but there really aren't any close by. I do have the feeling we would be close with that trailer hitch weight of 950. I just don't know how Keystone came up with that weight being so high.
DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
EcoboostKev

You can go to your local dump or rock yard and use there scale if you don't have a Cat scale near you. I had a load going to my local dump a while back.That's how i got my first weight of the truck with me in it and a full tank of fuel. Kevin
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
ohiocougar

Smile 28RBS review

We spent our first weekend in our 2012 28RBS. I think it fit our family of 4 just perfect. The kids liked the wide bunks and I did not have to worry about them falling off. The bathroom is much more spacious than our previous camper. The kitchen counter is tight but the little extension helped out. (I haven't seen a bunk camper yet with much counter space.) The couch is comfortable and you can see the tv perfect from it. Our camper has the slide out table which is handy to let the kids in and out instead of sliding around the stationary table. Three drawbacks in comparison to my old camper would be that the entry way is narrow, the exterior compartments are not very high and the entry door is on a hydraulic hinge and does not open all the way. Overall, the family was thrilled with the new camper and we did not have any issues with it so far.
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
geeman

28rbs

Just purchased and getting back into camping after 8 years. Loved the camper. Plug in outlets will be a mod I will look into. As far as the weight, the trailer was 6460 empty, 5400 on wheels and 1060 on tongue. Need to redo with water etc, probably not going to like it but not going to stop me from going either
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
bgilly

Dan sorry I missed your PM. Fixed my notifications on that.

We got ours in September and have used it twice and fixing to take it on a long week beach campout. I had to do a few fix-its to mine at the underbelly. I just do better work than Keystone does so I did some tidying up of some furnace duct work, wiring and fresh water plumbing.

Inside I added a shelf in the bathroom sink cabinet and one at the kitchen at the cabinet behind the door next to the entry door. Both spaces were so cavernous, they just needed shelves so I built them up, stained to to match and popped them in. These were A+ upgrades and should have been there already.

Other than that, the camper is great. Ours came with the Legend flatscreen television, not much to go on there but the Fosgate stereo DVD/CD system is very nice. Makes for a nice entertainment surround system when watching movies.

We love the space and the roomy bunks, though they are hard to make. We placed mattress protectors on the mattresses and then the fitted sheet. Then on all that, the kids sleep in sleeping bags. This has helped a lot on our couple uses so far.

I replaced the shower curtain with the pleated shower door. Had one in our last camper and loved it. Really helps keep the water inside the tub/shower and doesn't obstruct entry/exit from teh tub at all.

Hope this helps and good luck if you haven't already purchased one.

Oh, I did tow with a Chevy Silverado 1500 Crewcab 5.3L but now have a Chevy Silverado 2500 Crewcab 6.0L.
The 1500 did fine, just went with a stouter truck.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote