Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 02:37 AM   #1
Bronxj15

Tank flush issue

I have a 2020 cougar 27sgs fifth wheel trailer. I emptied the black tank yesterday flushed the grey tank after. Then attempted to use the tank flush that is right below the city connect. I made sure the valves were open on all and the tanks were emptied before beginning to flush. Did everything the manual said. When the water turned on it appeared there was some issue behind where the hook up was and water began to leak directly below the hook up. The basement of the rv is directly next to the this hook up and there w a s also some leaking there. We were there the whole time and this was turned off quickly. This is our first time using this and we're concerned. Any ideas what went wrong?
Bronxj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:22 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxj15 View Post
I have a 2020 cougar 27sgs fifth wheel trailer. I emptied the black tank yesterday flushed the grey tank after. Then attempted to use the tank flush that is right below the city connect. I made sure the valves were open on all and the tanks were emptied before beginning to flush. Did everything the manual said. When the water turned on it appeared there was some issue behind where the hook up was and water began to leak directly below the hook up. The basement of the rv is directly next to the this hook up and there w a s also some leaking there. We were there the whole time and this was turned off quickly. This is our first time using this and we're concerned. Any ideas what went wrong?
The anti-siphon valve may have been installed backwards at the factory....which is apparently a common problem. This valve could be under the bathroom sink, or like mine, behind the shower wall, or possibly in another location. Someone will certainly be posting soon with detailed info on various replacement fixes.

Also, you mention you had ALL your tanks open when you flushed. I'm not certain this is correct (should be black only). I read the little 'Sani Flush' insert in my documentation, and got this impression as well. After posting here and contacting Sani Flush, I determined the system installed on my trailer was connected for black tank flush only.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The rinser is only for the black tank, and if the anti siphon valve is plumbed backwards, water simply won’t flow. It’s possible that it was not installed at the proper angle or even sideways which would allow it to leak.

I would find it, most likely in the places mentioned, and make sure the valve is upright and the hoses are tight. If that doesn’t fix it, then you need to look at the connection behind the wall where you hook up the hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Simple thing first. Does the water hose connection have a washer inside? It's easy for them to fall out or even leak if they are there. Get some spares and keep them in the trailer. When I brought our trailer home the city water connection leaked. It was fine an hour before that during the PDI. Changed the washer and it was fine. For the minimal cost I change them at the beginning of every season, including the hoses and nuzzles around the house.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Bronxj15

Thank you for the replies

First off thanks everyone. It's nice to be able to ask questions and everybody be so cool with the answers. We don't have a washer hook up. The city water connection doesn't leak at all. Just the tank flush leaks. It would make sense if it's behind the set up. Because that's where I saw the spray of water before it was turned off. OK I will only open the black tank next time. I tried it with only the black tank open the first time and then open all tank because of the leak the second time.
Bronxj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The washer Marshall is talking about isnt a washing machine, Its a washer that seal the hose at the rinser connection. Your city water may have a washer with a screen and often times it seems like the rinser doesnt have any kind of washer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If the anti siphon valve is backward or broken it can cause water to leak at the inlet due to a missing washer, loose connection OR....too much pressure. I found my first backward anti siphon valve by getting a shower from the inlet port because 1) I did not use a pressure regulator and the pressure was way high and 2) I had not screwed the attachment down really snug.

If the washer is in the inlet fitting I would find that valve and just look at it - I suspect it's backward (or bad) - look at the flow direction arrow. You may also have some other loose fittings there.

When you turned the water on did you per chance hear any "buzzing" or noise from the area of the black tank as if water was coming into it? Probably not but if you did the valve won't be the issue.

If you find it is the valve post back; there are different ways to approach that repair.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
bobbecky

Besides the possibility of the air gap/anti back flow valve being installed backwards, your leak could be coming from behind the panel of your convenience center. Early on when our rig was new, I had leaking water in the pass through, and after I removed the side panel, I found several fittings loose, so I tightened all of them and that stopped the leaking. The photo shows what we have behind our wall, and the white connection nuts are what was loose. The blue and red PEX colors are obvious for the cold and hot water lines, but they used red PEX on our tank flush, which is the bottom line in the photo, and that fitting may be loose causing the water leak. The next photo shows where our back flow valve is located between the shower and the pantry, and the last photo shows where the line connects to the flush sprayer at the front of our black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	35004   Click image for larger version

Name:	back flow valve.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	35005   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank flush line.jpg
Views:	53