Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
GunnerRoo

Jensen AWM970 upgrade to HDMI output?

Greetings all,

Our 2012 312BH has the AWM970 installed and ours luckily has been working fine. However we have upgraded the TVs and really wanted to get a "drop in replacement" with HDMI for the 970 and through my research I found the AWM975 which would drop in but... Out of production and can't even find on eBay. There are sever IRVs (34 and 64) but looks like a lot of modification.

Just wondering if anyone has found a relatively easy swap out solution.

Cheers all!

Craig
GunnerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
jasin1

Might want to go on crutchfield audio website..go to shop all departments..then go down to specialty vehicles and choose rv..they have some options and you can call them with questions
Old 07-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of "modifications" would you have to make? I can't find anything to show how the 970 is made on the back but the face looks (size wise) like most double DIN receivers.

I would also agree that Crutchfield can be very helpful but you will need to know some specifics like the cutout size you have etc. so they can look for something to "drop in".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
GunnerRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What kind of "modifications" would you have to make? I can't find anything to show how the 970 is made on the back but the face looks (size wise) like most double DIN receivers.

I would also agree that Crutchfield can be very helpful but you will need to know some specifics like the cutout size you have etc. so they can look for something to "drop in".
Hi Danny, thanks for the response. You and me were thinking the exact same thing... Double DIN is Double DIN. Although they call this a double din I found that the mounting dimensions can very anywhere from 7.5" to 9.75" wide and 4.5" to 9.3" High. The 970 mounting is 9.75" wide x 4.68". Most of the replacements for the 970 that are in production do not have HDMI. Just this morning I finally found one with the same dimensions and same connector albeit it is another Jensen (JWM6A) with the additional HDMI output. Of course it is also discontinued but was able to find one on Amazon.

Thanks for all the help!

Craig
Old 08-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Glad you found something that would fit. I was afraid you would have to modify the cutout. I'm thinking it was a Jensen I had that was a double DIN front with a single DIN cutout behind it. I've also had to get in there and enlarge the hole to put a new receiver in. Sounds like you found something that will keep you from "cutting" stuff up.

Now, with 8 watts RMS per channel you may want to upgrade those OE speakers depending on how you use it. I've found whether music, TV etc. upgraded speakers make a world of difference in the sound from the typical RV speakers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
GunnerRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Glad you found something that would fit. I was afraid you would have to modify the cutout. I'm thinking it was a Jensen I had that was a double DIN front with a single DIN cutout behind it. I've also had to get in there and enlarge the hole to put a new receiver in. Sounds like you found something that will keep you from "cutting" stuff up.

Now, with 8 watts RMS per channel you may want to upgrade those OE speakers depending on how you use it. I've found whether music, TV etc. upgraded speakers make a world of difference in the sound from the typical RV speakers.
Excellent point! I have been so focused on getting HDMI in the TT that it never occurred to me on the speakers. The next adventure!

Thanks Danny!

Tags
jensen, upgrade