Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
markcee

Dometic Reefer - No Power

So guys, 225 miles from home (5k in the books this trip) and here is hopefully my last problem:

Dometic DM2872 refrigerator. Ran it on propane while on the road today, as usual, and I believe it was working, as everything felt pretty cold when we arrived at camp after about 7 hours on the road. Plugged into shore power and have absolutely no power/no check light etc regardless if on ‘auto’ or ‘gas’.

So far I’ve determined I have no blown fuses in the distribution panel (strictly by looking for a red light next to the fuses), determined I have 120v at the outlet in the reefer compartment and determined I have 120v going to the glass 3a fuse on the control board.

If I switch reefer to gas and/or pull the plug on the fridge I do not hear it trying to kick on LP.

I also pushed the reset button behind the wind blocker piece of sheet metal in the compartment with no success.

I should also note that pressing this reset button is pretty much a daily thing after a day of travel on propane. My fridge is in the slide and I suspect it overheats and shuts down. This is the first time using this reset had no impact.

Any suggestions?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Trace the wires back from the thermal switch on the chimney.

Your looking for something that looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/4037869940?iid=124782445987

If it’s blown, the fridge will not start. As an EMERGENCY, you can bypass it and see if the fridge starts working. If so replace it ASAP.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Trace the wires back from the thermal switch on the chimney.

Your looking for something that looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/4037869940?iid=124782445987

If it’s blown, the fridge will not start. As an EMERGENCY, you can bypass it and see if the fridge starts working. If so replace it ASAP.
Ok….that part looks like the reset switch I mentioned….and I have noticed that it feels like the reset button itself no longer has any movement to it when I push it…although today was first day it didn’t do its thing.

How do I bypass this? Remove the two leads connected to it and jumper the leads together?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes, the button is on a thermosensor screwed to the chimney. The part I linked to doesn’t have a reset button.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yes, the button is on a thermosensor screwed to the chimney. The part I linked to doesn’t have a reset button.
Your link had no pic for that product….just showed ‘not available’. So Googling the part number I see this guy:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...or-thermo-fuse

So I guess since I’m not bypassing the switch I was referring to, I have no clue how to bypass this one. Can you provide some ‘specifics for dummies’?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
markcee

Found this on the GD forum....I do see this same setup in my compartment.
Assuming I would slide back the boot, snip the thermocouple out and temporarily connect the two open ends together to test.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Thermocoupler
Old 07-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Found this on the GD forum....I do see this same setup in my compartment.
Assuming I would slide back the boot, snip the thermocouple out and temporarily connect the two open ends together to test.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Thermocoupler
That’s the one I was talking about. Sorry for the late response, dinner got here.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
crmiller

Hope this helps someone else from this frustrating issue. Brand new 22 Cougar MLSWE with refer in slide. Purchased in late June 2021. We are now on our 4th Dometic Thermal Fuse Thermocoupler! Dealer would replace and run the refer on propane for days with no problem, yet if we picked it up and went for a trip, the Dometic Thermal Fuse Thermocoupler would blow. Finally had a 30 year RV tech finally be assigned our unit. He did some head scratching and discovered that either Keystone or Dometic changed the shape and molding profile of the black rectangular vents for the outside of the refrigerator back. He pulled an older model trailer unit so both were side by side so he could compare build and parts. He put both old and new black vents together and you can see how the moldings were done differently. His theory is with the new cover design and placement in the sidewall, when moving down the road a steam of air is directed right at the location of the flame of the gas unit creating sort of "blow torch" effect which created the burn mark on the chimney - hence, the excess of 305 degrees and the blown thermocoupler(s).

He created a metal shield or baffle that sits in front of the opening of the chimney where the gas line and other items go into the bottom of the chimney. It is short in height and attaches to the bottom of the refer unit and the protective metal cover plate for the chimney. It runs perpendicular to the outside wall of the trailer blocking the stream of air while moving down the road.

Just tested with a freeway run of 60 miles plus. Kept my speed a little lower so the big simi's would blow past me at their speed and buffet the trailer with an air rush. Refer is on the drivers side of the trailer. Refer is still working! That is the longest this refer has lasted without blowing the thermocouple since we bought it.

I know that it my be hard to visualize the part, The trailer is at the dealer still for another issue. I will go out there ASAP and take a picture and post. The baffle is no bigger than 1/2 a playing card if that..
crmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
crmiller

Images from Baffle install for blown thermocoupler

Note: This is a solution our dealer created. Image without baffle is on an identical 22MLE that was on the lot. The other image is of the installed baffle to prevent the excess airflow while the trailer is being pulled. Prevents the direct blast of air that is being directed towards the flame at the bottom of the chimney. Hope this is the final solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Without Baffle.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	35947   Click image for larger version

Name:	With Baffle.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	35948  
crmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags