Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #41
foneguy

just call the park see if they have a water fill location. simple
foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneguy View Post
just call the park see if they have a water fill location. simple
And, when the answer is: "No, the closest public water source is about 60 miles away"... What then ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #43
foneguy

that’s when you hail some

but what does it hurt to call?

me id call just so i don’t have to carry that extra weight
foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #44
FordF350

IMO , I avoid traveling with a full tank in either waste or fresh tanks . The main issues being added weight , stress on tanks, strapping and RV .
Usually there is a place close by to access fresh water and the options of a fresh water bladder is a great idea . A added note is make sure your fresh water tanks are sanitized and that there is no risk of ingesting contaminated water. Just my two cents.
FordF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #45
Kenemac

Been hauling full fresh water tanks many years. From 110 gallons in my toy hauler fifth wheel to 59 gallons in my slide in truck camper. Never an issue. I guess if your a blacktop beauty and only see the inside of established Rv parks then maybe not. I have always chosen to spend time off the beaten path. Besides, if it was dangerous or unwarranted, there would be placards all over the place warning against it. Fill er up and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #46
Bandit12

On the 17th of Jul we left our home in northeastern California for a 2 week trip to South Dakota to look around for some property we could move to in the future. When we left I had filled the fresh tank with about 40 gallons of fresh water, after filling the water heater tank and all the lines. When we left there was a wildfire, the Dixie fire, in our county but well south of us and it appeared to be well in hand. By the evening of the 22nd, our house/dog sitter called to tell us he could go to the 2nd floor of the house and look out the large north facing windows and see flames on the ridge 15 miles to the north. Our entire town was placed under a evacuation warning. He wanted to know if he has to evacuate, what should he do with our animals? We made several phone calls to friends and family and made emergency arrangements to have our three dogs care for in a nearby town. We also decided to have our grandson go to our home and evacuate several personal belongings for us. We also made calls to rearrange our reservations at camp sites we had booked on our way home and decided to head for home on Saturday the 24th. I had about 35 gallons of water in our fresh tank at that point and had just drained the holding tanks on Tuesday. Upon our arrival in Ogden UT, the last overnight stop before heading home, my holding tanks were indicating 2/3 full each as was my fresh water tank. I drained and flushed the black tank, and drained both gray tanks. I also completely filled the fresh water tank. That was Sunday the 25th. I drove all the way home from Hill AFB in Ogden UT, about 620 miles with a full water tank. That water is still in the tank today. Our town is no monger under an evac warning, but the fire is raging around us. The town of Greenville, about 25 miles northwest of us was destroyed yesterday. I plan on draining the fresh water system and open the low point drains to get as much of the water out of the system as possible, then immediately refilling the system. Our trailer has remained mostly packed, the fridge has been left on as the trailer is plugged into power, and if the winds shift and we're told to get out of dodge in a hurry, I can finish packing out important family belongings, food, and clothing, be hitched up and rolling out in 45-60 minutes, faster if I need to.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #47
Javi

Y'all do understand that choosing not to haul water for hundreds of miles when there are other easily achievable alternatives is vastly different than hauling it short distances, and certainly different than hauling it when fleeing a raging inferno or other emergency.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #48
KJJ

SOP for us to have fresh water tank full, whether heading a few hours away or cross country. Have had all three near full when leaving a camp without a dump station. Have a Passport 25' with 43 gal fresh and 30 gal black and gray tanks pulled with a 5.7 Express 1500 conversion van attached with a marvelous Blue Ox WD sway prevention hitch.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
On the 17th of Jul we left our home in northeastern California for a 2 week trip to South Dakota to look around for some property we could move to in the future. When we left I had filled the fresh tank with about 40 gallons of fresh water, after filling the water heater tank and all the lines. When we left there was a wildfire, the Dixie fire, in our county but well south of us and it appeared to be well in hand. By the evening of the 22nd, our house/dog sitter called to tell us he could go to the 2nd floor of the house and look out the large north facing windows and see flames on the ridge 15 miles to the north. Our entire town was placed under a evacuation warning. He wanted to know if he has to evacuate, what should he do with our animals? We made several phone calls to friends and family and made emergency arrangements to have our three dogs care for in a nearby town. We also decided to have our grandson go to our home and evacuate several personal belongings for us. We also made calls to rearrange our reservations at camp sites we had booked on our way home and decided to head for home on Saturday the 24th. I had about 35 gallons of water in our fresh tank at that point and had just drained the holding tanks on Tuesday. Upon our arrival in Ogden UT, the last overnight stop before heading home, my holding tanks were indicating 2/3 full each as was my fresh water tank. I drained and flushed the black tank, and drained both gray tanks. I also completely filled the fresh water tank. That was Sunday the 25th. I drove all the way home from Hill AFB in Ogden UT, about 620 miles with a full water tank. That water is still in the tank today. Our town is no monger under an evac warning, but the fire is raging around us. The town of Greenville, about 25 miles northwest of us was destroyed yesterday. I plan on draining the fresh water system and open the low point drains to get as much of the water out of the system as possible, then immediately refilling the system. Our trailer has remained mostly packed, the fridge has been left on as the trailer is plugged into power, and if the winds shift and we're told to get out of dodge in a hurry, I can finish packing out important family belongings, food, and clothing, be hitched up and rolling out in 45-60 minutes, faster if I need to.

Keep your stuff ready to roll until that fire situation is no longer a problem. Once they get going full bore those trees are like incendiary bombs green or not. I watched one ROAR across the top of a mountain, down the side and hit what I thought was an impossible ravine to cross - no matter, in short order it ignited the other side and roared right back up the other mountain - they can move very fast so keep that in your mind and your loved ones close and ready. I watched a couple of videos of the Greenville fire; very sad.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #50
jasin1

My daughter and her friends flew out to Lake Tahoe then a few days in Lassen national forest in CA ….they hiked and said the smoke was getting worse towards the end of the trip..she flew out yesterday and today they closed the entire park because of the Dixie fire…glad she got her trip in and was safe…I didn’t realize it was getting that bad where she was staying.

Thought she was tent camping but they rented a cabin/Airbnb
She sent pictures hiking a volcano the other day and it was just a little smoky…today she said the fire was close to where she was
Old 08-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #51
Kenemac

And fleeing that raging inferno is just what we were ordered to do today after my town was placed on mandatory evacuation. Now all roads out have been closed. Those that chose to ignore that will be in dire straits for sure.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #52
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenemac View Post
And fleeing that raging inferno is just what we were ordered to do today after my town was placed on mandatory evacuation. Now all roads out have been closed. Those that chose to ignore that will be in dire straits for sure.
Y'all stay safe 🙏
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #53
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenemac View Post
Very glad you got out safe. Just saw video that Canyon Dam is now gone too. We're in Quincy and so fat we're ok (fingers crossed) but I have the trailer prepared to go. If we have to go, we'll head towards Portola.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #54
mjsibe

We always travel full.
Not worried about falling out as our tank is inside under the bed. 30 gallon
Passport Rk3100.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #55
Kenemac

Thanks javi. We appreciate that.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #56
Kenemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Very glad you got out safe. Just saw video that Canyon Dam is now gone too. We're in Quincy and so fat we're ok (fingers crossed) but I have the trailer prepared to go. If we have to go, we'll head towards Portola.
I own a logging truck and haul to Quincy. That route will never be the same
Kenemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #57
jasin1

You guys take care out there…really puts things in perspective..I was complaining about traffic today….got home around 1:00 pm
….sounds like a lot of people out there will not have a home to return to..my prayers to all of you and all of them
Old 08-06-2021, 04:00 AM   #58
Northofu1

If you're going to haul fresh water, at the very least, drop the coroplast and ensure the bracing/support is adequate. Replace coroplast and rest easy.
I don't like the taste of Florida water :P

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #59
Ragermack

Over 5000 miles on our current trip in our 2017 28RKS Cougar X-light with full water tank and no issues. We can Boondock or stay in primitive campgrounds as needed without worry.
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:58 AM   #60
Gunny Mike

I like to keep 20 gallons of water in my tank for bathroom purposes when traveling. I have 3 6 gallon water cans that I fill up when I need fresh water and then I use my HF 12 volt water pump to add fresh water when needed when parked.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water