Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
CWtheMan

Towing something with your trailer

I've been reading the Keystone 2021 generic owners manual. Lots of new information including a section about towing something behind your trailer, if equipped/authorized. (Page 31).

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...ers_manual.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are "lots of pitfalls" in the way Keystone wrote that "new section in the manual"....

First, they state, "Towing allowed only with select fifth wheel trailers".

Then, they state, "Don't tow a second trailer without brakes". Apparently, they are concerned with the "marginal brakes on their fifth wheels".

So, there's more to "maintaining your warranty" than the statement, "If it has a 4 way connector and chain hooks...." First, you can't have brakes with a 4 pin connector, so that eliminates electric brakes and pretty much mandates either extensive rewiring and adding a second brake control or surge brakes.

I'd suspect this year and probably next will be the "transition from DON'T TOW to Here's how we recommend you tow".... There will be some growing pains along the way......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
rjrelander

I just wish they published "specific" owner manuals.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Vinnie

Towing doubles is dicey at best when in a non-professional rig. The one actual law that applies to most every state in the union is a maximum vehicle length of 65 feet. Varying by state are the weights and licensing requirements. And always have brakes on all trailers, as a given. So if you can check all those vague boxes within the state-specific variables, run it by your local highway patrol office for a thumbs-up from their truck guy and have at!

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:19 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Triple towing is when you are towing a trailer behind a towing vehicle and then attach another trailer to the first trailer.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #6
Vinnie

"triple towing" is also called "towing double trailers" or "towing doubles." Whatever you call it, looks like you have a decent reference for laws by state. Still dicey.

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 AM   #7
notanlines

The term was 'triple tow' for many, many years until a few years ago when some relative newbies started referring to it as 'double tow.' Very similar to the term 'slide-out' and 'basement' or 'pass-through.' Newbies tend to make up their own terms at first like 'slide-room' and 'crawl space.'
The websites claiming to list the state-by-state towing rules are exceedingly misleading and known to be inaccurate.
Vinnie was correct when he said to contact your local highway patrol office to get information.
'Triple-towing or towing doubles' is not brain surgery. This is a very common practice in most of the country with the exception of both coasts, particularly the east coast states. When I read the everyday occurrences of stupidity we all witness on this site and others like it I know the practice isn't for everyone, but with a little forethought and common sense it can be done.
There are many members on this site who tow multiple trailers regularly and I'm sure willing to answer all questions.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
Campy

Awhile back while hauling a huge load of lumber with a friend we were force to stop at a weigh station in Tennessee for a repair. While there I ask one of the officers about double towing length. Turns out it's measured from "steering axle" centerline to the last axle centerline. This kinda surprised me because it gives a huge margin of length on some trailers with with long overhangs (like car trailers)
I'm getting ready to try my hand at it with a small (10ft) cargo trailer behind my 5th wheel.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Awhile back while hauling a huge load of lumber with a friend we were force to stop at a weigh station in Tennessee for a repair. While there I ask one of the officers about double towing length. Turns out it's measured from "steering axle" centerline to the last axle centerline. This kinda surprised me because it gives a huge margin of length on some trailers with with long overhangs (like car trailers)
I'm getting ready to try my hand at it with a small (10ft) cargo trailer behind my 5th wheel.
That "measurement technique" might be what's used in Tennessee. In Michigan, a rig is measured "from the front most point to the rear of the most prominent projection"... In other words, put a vertical stick in front, touching the "frontest part" and put a vertical stick in the back, touching the "rearest part' and measure between the sticks....

Up here, ain't got nuttin' to do with the axles (unless they happen to be the "furthest frontwards and the furthest backwards parts"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That "measurement technique" might be what's used in Tennessee. In Michigan, a rig is measured "from the front most point to the rear of the most prominent projection"... In other words, put a vertical stick in front, touching the "frontest part" and put a vertical stick in the back, touching the "rearest part' and measure between the sticks....

Up here, ain't got nuttin' to do with the axles (unless they happen to be the "furthest frontwards and the furthest backwards parts"...
Well in Oregon towing doubles or triple towing is not legal, but yet I caught this on my dash cam! It is one thing to tow a boat behind your 5er, but this dude was towing a Toy Hauler with his Ram DRW, with Jeep Toad attached! This was in the Columbia Gorge on I84 about MP 57, he was traveling eastbound.

You will see it going the other way at the 49 second mark of the video clip.

Interesting point for Ken, the ranger PU pulling away from me at the beginning of the clip is an OSP I was doing 68 in a 65/60 zone.

https://i.imgur.com/TJcXjW5.mp4
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
notanlines

Good spot, Russ. And easy to stop the video and look close also.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing