Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #141
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Traded it in Friday night. Actually, did a double purchase, our son bought a 2022 Nissan Sentra also. It was quite a long day !
Bought a new 2021 Nissan Titan. Before you ask, payload is 1377#'s. Is that impressive? Nope. To the dismay of some on here? Yup.
The current situations were evaluated - vehicle, financial, towing needs\wants, every day needs\wants, how long we might keep the TT, where we camp and plan to camp, others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Many moving parts.

- Everything said on this, and other threads on this site, was taken into account.

- I truly would like to thank each and every one of you! -
Congrats on the new Titan!
Just realize that any rv upgrade will require another truck upgrade!
You've used up over half of that "impressive" 1377lb payload with tongue weight & the weight of the hitch alone with no one/nothing in the new truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #142
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Traded it in Friday night. Actually, did a double purchase, our son bought a 2022 Nissan Sentra also. It was quite a long day !
Bought a new 2021 Nissan Titan. Before you ask, payload is 1377#'s. Is that impressive? Nope. To the dismay of some on here? Yup.
The current situations were evaluated - vehicle, financial, towing needs\wants, every day needs\wants, how long we might keep the TT, where we camp and plan to camp, others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Many moving parts.

- Everything said on this, and other threads on this site, was taken into account.

- I truly would like to thank each and every one of you! -

Congrats on the new truck! I have no doubt it will be much better than the Frontier. Enough payload? Whatever is required to support your RV and family safely is "enough" - could be 6,000 lbs. or 1000. You've been here long enough, and seen enough weight conversations, that I have no doubt you've crunched the numbers to make sure they fit. Again, congrats and have fun.

A long day? Buying 2 vehicles? I can certainly imagine. Seems these days there is no such thing as walking in and just buying a vehicle. My last 4 the deal was done before I walked in to "finalize" the paperwork. It takes 8 hours no matter what you do. On this last truck a full 2 HOURS was spent with the finance lady trying to upsell me extended warranties, oil change plans, car washes etc. etc. even though I said going in I wanted nothing; hmmm, "I have to go over them anyway"...sheesh.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #143
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on the new truck. A 5 year, 100,000 mile B2B warranty ?? Fill the ashtray when it needs more gas and maybe they'll fill it up for you after they wash it ????

Seriously though, I think you'll see significant improvement in towing with this truck. That is, if the weather ever warms up enough to use an RV....

Keep in mind that you have only one axle on the ground, so it won't be as stable as a tandem axle trailer. Easier to prevent frame twisting when backing into a campsite, but not so nice in a crosswind or when passing 18 wheelers... So, hopefully you have a sway control hitch ??? Even with that, anticipate the trailer movement and you should be OK.

Enjoy (when it warms up) !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #144
flybouy
Site Team

Congrats on the new truck. My niece's husband tows a camper with one and wouldn't use anything else. As long as you and your family is safe and you like mit that's all that matters. It woulod be a very dull world if we all drove the same brand!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #145
skunked again

I’m using a husky centerline ts w/d anti-sway hitch. Will need to reset it. It’s supposed to be above freezing the next couple days, maybe I can do it when I get off work. We have rain, another cold front, more “crap” weather forecast for this week. Ugh

Yes, I realize half the payload is used up by the tongue and hitch. Please believe me, it wasn’t an easy decision. I’ve burned YouTube up watching videos, and reading on sites like this. Wife and I talked it over at great lengths. We plan on keeping this camper. Will that happen??? Time will tell.

Yes, the Titan and Titan XD have a 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. From Nissan. It’s on their website, and in the sales paperwork. The dealer we bought from, offers a limited lifetime power train warranty. A gimmick? Not sure, as we’ve bought other vehicles from this dealer, and luckily , have yet to put it to the test.

We got to the dealer at 0930, son test drove two different vehicles, negotiated, we went to lunch, he then bought his, wife co-signed for him. While they did that, I drove the Titan. Negotiated. Came real close to walking out. Asked for the keys to the frontier, I was done. No, scratch that, I was pissed!! They then countered, after saying they where done. Followed him home, with the Titan, got a check, went back. We live 45 minutes away from them.
We left at 2000hrs. 1 finance guy, who said he had to skip lunch (of which I believe, as we could see the finance office from where we’d been sitting, a constant rotation of people buying vehicles).

I absolutely despise the car buying game. That didn’t help any! Fully understand building and buying a vehicle online now.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #146
jasin1

When my wife purchased her first brand new car…she was 19…(1986 Trans Am )…she saved up $5000 for down payment ..her dad went with us because he had to co-sign …he only showed up to co-sign ( might have been all in his name)

He insisted on bringing one of his little cigars that he would only smoke on the boat…he said….. “always bring a cigar into the “bidness” office because they will hurry you right through because of the smell lol

Also watched a video where they said at a new car dealer that new car sales make up 58% of the total sales that the dealership on average makes but that only makes up 28% of the gross profit ..the majority of profit is made on financing, gap insurance and extended warranties etc..

The money they make on giving you 8% interest rate when the bank actually said they would do it for 6% is why you have to negotiate hard and be willing to walk away

When we were looking at the iroq camaro’s and trans am’s we wanted to test drive one and the Pontiac dealer said … “hon what don’t you bring your father in to help you”…. My future wife said “I’m buying the car! I have $5000 to put down” …the manager said “ get this young lady a tag! She wants to drive a car people!”….I think the price of the car was like $17000 lol
Old 02-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #147
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I’m using a husky centerline ts w/d anti-sway hitch. Will need to reset it. It’s supposed to be above freezing the next couple days, maybe I can do it when I get off work. We have rain, another cold front, more “crap” weather forecast for this week. Ugh

Yes, I realize half the payload is used up by the tongue and hitch. Please believe me, it wasn’t an easy decision. I’ve burned YouTube up watching videos, and reading on sites like this. Wife and I talked it over at great lengths. We plan on keeping this camper. Will that happen??? Time will tell.

Yes, the Titan and Titan XD have a 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. From Nissan. It’s on their website, and in the sales paperwork. The dealer we bought from, offers a limited lifetime power train warranty. A gimmick? Not sure, as we’ve bought other vehicles from this dealer, and luckily , have yet to put it to the test.

We got to the dealer at 0930, son test drove two different vehicles, negotiated, we went to lunch, he then bought his, wife co-signed for him. While they did that, I drove the Titan. Negotiated. Came real close to walking out. Asked for the keys to the frontier, I was done. No, scratch that, I was pissed!! They then countered, after saying they where done. Followed him home, with the Titan, got a check, went back. We live 45 minutes away from them.
We left at 2000hrs. 1 finance guy, who said he had to skip lunch (of which I believe, as we could see the finance office from where we’d been sitting, a constant rotation of people buying vehicles).

I absolutely despise the car buying game. That didn’t help any! Fully understand building and buying a vehicle online now.

On that 5yr 100k warranty be SURE to read all the exclusions and qualifications. I'm sure they will honor it if needed but only if you've adhered to those qualifiers and documented them. On that like so many other things, the dealer can make it easy or hard on the owner depending on how good, honest and willing to work FOR the owner they are.

They CAN be great. My DD had a Hyundai Tucson and loved it....wouldn't get rid of it. Her ex had taught her that you keep a car until it falls down around you; her headlights were so glazed they were useless IMO AND she had to drive 7 miles down a canopy road every evening so I said....time for a new car and I went to get her a new Tucson (she said she would take another one).

Now I didn't, and don't, like Hyundais in particular but THAT dealer knocked my socks off (even had their own blue tinted, embossed water bottles). Super to work with including the GM. We ended up getting a 100k mile mtce. package with oil changes, extended warranty etc. for a fraction of what something like that for a big 3 vehicle would cost. She doesn't know a radial tire from a transmission so it was for the better although I was very skeptical.

Almost 2 years in and she is ecstatic which means I am. They call her to check on her mileage and remind her when to bring it in for oil changes. They take care of everything that needs to be done to stay maintained and comply with her warranties, AND, they wash and detail her car every time it comes in. She said they are so professional and thorough. So good things can happen with those things, it just doesn't seem very often.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #148
skunked again

Good thoughts on something like a cigar!!

We argued about .9% financing combined with $2500 trade in assistance, which they claimed they never combine. Also, they had a $1000 upcharge, which was not on their website, and not mentioned until we started talking numbers, at that point I said give my keys back to me for the frontier.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #149
jasin1

Quote:
Good thoughts on something like a cigar!!

We argued about .9% financing combined with $2500 trade in assistance, which they claimed they never combine. Also, they had a $1000 upcharge, which was not on their website, and not mentioned until we started talking numbers, at that point I said give my keys back to me for the frontier.

.9% is nice!.. sounds like you got a good deal… I do know sometimes it’s either the rebate or the preferred financing .
Old 03-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #150
falcondan95705

You could pull that with a dodge dakota! Ford ranger..
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #151
skunked again

First Trip with the Titan

We went to Pere Marquette State Park, in Grafton Il Yesterday, for a one nighter. About 60 miles one way. The route we took, first half was interstate, west bound. Second half, 2 and 4 lane highway, northbound. A southerly breeze of 15-20mph with gusts to 30mph.
The trip home today, a southerly breeze of 20-30mph, gust to 43mph (saw that on the news just now).
All that said, for this - the Titan performed great! Did I feel like I was "white knuckling it" ? NO.

Now, I need to figure out a way to get my wife to go more !!
? ? ? Any advice on that one ? ? ?
Old 04-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #152
travelin texans

Quote:
We went to Pere Marquette State Park, in Grafton Il Yesterday, for a one nighter. About 60 miles one way. The route we took, first half was interstate, west bound. Second half, 2 and 4 lane highway, northbound. A southerly breeze of 15-20mph with gusts to 30mph.
The trip home today, a southerly breeze of 20-30mph, gust to 43mph (saw that on the news just now).
All that said, for this - the Titan performed great! Did I feel like I was "white knuckling it" ? NO.

Now, I need to figure out a way to get my wife to go more !!
? ? ? Any advice on that one ? ? ?
That pair is suitably matched! If you get the DW to come along & decides she needs more room resulting in a rv upgrade in your future more vehicle will be required as well.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:55 AM   #153
skunked again

DW will NOT want a bigger tt!! Wwaaayyyy to much Dutch in her !!! No fears there!!
We discussed that very topic, in great detail, before the recent truck purchase.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #154
linux3

Quote:
DW will NOT want a bigger tt!! Wwaaayyyy to much Dutch in her !!!
I understand that. DW will not spend a nickel if 3 cents will do.

I was looking at a 2500HD and WE were looking at a small 5th wheel.
Bottom line was DW was just looking and had a nice walk doing it.

Sure a Silverado 2500HD and small 5'er are expensive but after 42 years of marriage divorce would have been really expensive. LOL
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle