Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I renewed my Tracfone today. It included 1 year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 1.2 gB data. All for $99.95 plus taxes for a total of $111.

Everything rolls over so I have 2104 minutes, 8800 texts, and 2 gB data. I did spend about an extra $20 last year for data. Still my cell costs are below $11/month.

We have never had a problem travelling all over. So much for your, You get what you pay for.
Is the 1.2Gb and the 2Gb a "mistyped amount" or is that really "all you get" ???

Our Verizon MiFi has 15Gb per month and on a 2 month trip (or even most 2 week trips that start before the billing cycle ends and the next one starts will result in using "all available data"... That's 30 Gb for 2 weeks. Granted, DW teaches online university courses and I do download (or view) all the photos and graphics on the forum, but even with that, 1.2 to 2 Gb of data for a year ????? We'd use that much in one classroom session or one "forum check".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:31 AM   #22
notanlines

From the Tracfone website "You can buy Tracfone Data Only Card for $10 and it adds 1GB of data to your phone"
John, I'm afraid you and Momma would have to sell the Slingshot and get more part-time jobs at those rates.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #23
dutchmensport

We have AT&T unlimited data with our cell phones, but for some reason, AT&T does not coorporate at all with my wife's company. She tried all kinds of things to get AT&T to work, but there was always something very unique that prevented a connection. She never could figure it out, even after countless hours with her Help Staff at her company and with Customer Support from AT&T. She finally gave up the dream of being able to take her work on the road. Move forward now about 2 or 3 years.

Someone on another forum talked about "Visible" with a link to this video: which changed our world.

We've been using Visible and had a small router attached to the phone that enables multiple devices to run all at the same time, and it has worked flawless for both me and my company laptops, our personal devices, and my wife's work devices. All together, we have 5 different computers connected, 2 smart televisions, 3 iPads, and sometimes, they are all work at the same time. My grandson and son live with us, and we all use the Visible now from time to time. The grandson has his own iPad and a school iPad, so we connect a lot. Sometimes many of these devices at the same time. It's NEVER missed a beat, never been throttled, and we've always had good connection.

Since February, when we first started using Visible, we have been able to take our employment on the road (work from camper), and we have been doing so, pretty much, every since. Actually, the Visible system is more reliable than our home system. We also watch a lot of streaming video on the smart televisions in the camper. We have Roku televisions.

It seems there is some skepticism about Visible, what different YouTube videos, but for us, we've never had a problem. We also DO NOT share our plan with anyone else. It's $40 a month. From what I've been able to figure out, problems start when the plan gets divided and shared with others so everyone gets a reduced cost ... what? as low as $5.00 a month? At what cost if you really need dependability.

So now, we carry both our AT&T and the Visible plans. I know the AT&T is costly, but I absolutely must have internet connection. My company's connection works OK with AT&T, so I have no problems. Between AT&T and Visible, we've not hit a dead spot or been throttled at all.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #24
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We have AT&T unlimited data with our cell phones, but for some reason, AT&T does not coorporate at all with my wife's company. She tried all kinds of things to get AT&T to work, but there was always something very unique that prevented a connection. She never could figure it out, even after countless hours with her Help Staff at her company and with Customer Support from AT&T. She finally gave up the dream of being able to take her work on the road. Move forward now about 2 or 3 years.

Someone on another forum talked about "Visible" with a link to this video: which changed our world.

We've been using Visible and had a small router attached to the phone that enables multiple devices to run all at the same time, and it has worked flawless for both me and my company laptops, our personal devices, and my wife's work devices. All together, we have 5 different computers connected, 2 smart televisions, 3 iPads, and sometimes, they are all work at the same time. My grandson and son live with us, and we all use the Visible now from time to time. The grandson has his own iPad and a school iPad, so we connect a lot. Sometimes many of these devices at the same time. It's NEVER missed a beat, never been throttled, and we've always had good connection.

Since February, when we first started using Visible, we have been able to take our employment on the road (work from camper), and we have been doing so, pretty much, every since. Actually, the Visible system is more reliable than our home system. We also watch a lot of streaming video on the smart televisions in the camper. We have Roku televisions.

It seems there is some skepticism about Visible, what different YouTube videos, but for us, we've never had a problem. We also DO NOT share our plan with anyone else. It's $40 a month. From what I've been able to figure out, problems start when the plan gets divided and shared with others so everyone gets a reduced cost ... what? as low as $5.00 a month? At what cost if you really need dependability.

So now, we carry both our AT&T and the Visible plans. I know the AT&T is costly, but I absolutely must have internet connection. My company's connection works OK with AT&T, so I have no problems. Between AT&T and Visible, we've not hit a dead spot or been throttled at all.
Interesting. We have used AT&T for the past 10 years and have been pleased with their service and coverage (we have 6 lines between us and our 4 kids) but after purchasing the house in southwest Georgia it's been a struggle to find decent coverage at that location. We are currently using HughesNet satellite internet and found it sorely lacking. AT&T won't cover my location even though their hotspot works better there than the HughesNet currently does. And MY GOSH! There are so many providers that claim to have excellent service EVERYWHERE until you ask for a guarantee in your location then it's crickets.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From the Tracfone website "You can buy Tracfone Data Only Card for $10 and it adds 1GB of data to your phone"
John, I'm afraid you and Momma would have to sell the Slingshot and get more part-time jobs at those rates.
You've got that right !!!!! Verizon's "price to reload" for our contracted MiFi after the initial 15 Gb is $10 for 5 Gb. That's 1/5 the price of Tracfone.... We'll keep the Slingshot and stay with Verizon

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #26
cliff

Well guys you got me. The only thing we use data for is email, amazon, and banking. We are retired and don't need gargantuan data. So spend what you need. Tracfone is more than adequate for us. All I wanted to do is give you an alternative that met our needs. Have fun.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #27
notanlines

Cliff, we weren't coming down on you personally, it was the idea of how little data you and Momma use versus how much the need for the average family might be. In your situation I also would have your plan.
On to other matters. I just received this email from AT&T upping our plan with no increase in charges to actual unlimited on all four phones with no slow-down during peak times. Our bill is $154.00 per month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	35174  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:32 AM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
after purchasing the house in southwest Georgia it's been a struggle to find decent coverage at that location. We are currently using HughesNet satellite internet and found it sorely lacking. AT&T won't cover my location even though their hotspot works better there than the HughesNet currently does. And MY GOSH! There are so many providers that claim to have excellent service EVERYWHERE until you ask for a guarantee in your location then it's crickets.....
Satellite is what you get when absolutely your only other choice is dial up. If you're looking for service from a fixed location, try the URL below and see if there is a wireless provider that serves your area.

https://members.wispa.org/members/directory/search_bootstrap.php?org_id=WISP
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:09 AM   #29
jasin1

This might be a good addition for people that do a lot of boondocking I have one for my daughter, she hikes and backpacks all over the country and Canada. You pay for the unit and then it’s $15 a month for the plan I have….you can activate the month you plan to use. It lets you send and receive texts and it tracks you and someone can monitor your whereabouts from home. It shows a complete track and latest location. I even put it on my sons boat when he went on a fishing trip out in the ocean. Works great and gives me peace of mind. Some of you boondockers are in some isolated locations and you family may take comfort on knowing where you are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34FA9E4A-A48A-433D-9256-0817E84446F1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	35175