Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
toolittletime

Generator not putting out power

I have a new 2019 Carbon 417 toy hauler with the 5500 onan generator built in. I did start up the generator while doing the pdi, and everything seemed to be in order .
I just started it up yesterday after being parked for a month to let it run some. I am hooked up to 50 a shore power. After letting the gen warm up for a couple of minutes, I tried the microwave........sounded like it was getting low voltage. My unit has the auto transfer switch. I checked the breakers at the gen and inside the coach....all are working properly.
I am thinking that the next step will be to unplug the shore power.....start the gen......test voltage where it goes into the auto transfer switch?
Does this sound like the logical place to start?

I have testers and have the skills to open up the transfer switch or any other component to test it.

Thanks........Tim
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Archergodwin

Yeah, I would disconnect from shore power and try it again. My ,09 Fuzion had a recall for a faulty auto-transfer switch. I've never powered up my gen while being connected to shore power... just a little paranoid about it. ( I did get a new transfer switch installed btw)
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
toolittletime

Will disconnect from shore power and do some testing. Pita to take to dealer, since we are spending the winter in the unit, here in Texas.
Will report back.
Thanks......Tim
Old 07-31-2021, 04:05 AM   #4
Moparmox

Did you ever find a fix? I just bought a 2018 Carbon 364, when we did the walk through at the dealer, is was plugged in and everything worked. After they delivered it, I started the generator to turn on the AC ( I don’t have 50amp outlet at home yet) and none of the 120v stuff works. I flipped the breakers on and off at the generator (onan 5500) and I checked for power at the auto transfer switch, it has 116.5vac on each leg, coming from the generator, like it’s supposed to. So, next, I checked for power coming into my breaker panel inside the camper, and here’s where it’s weird to me. If the main 50amp breaker is off, there’s voltage but when I turn the breaker on the voltage reading goes to zero volts.
Thanks
Moparmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
toolittletime

I don't have a good answer for you, but that does sound strange. Maybe someone else will chime in.
I have had no other problems with my generator since the first time.

Tags
generator, power