Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Keystone Hideout 28RKS No Water

We are hooked up to city water, and in the middle of the night the water froze at the ground. We thawed the pipe from the ground, but now we only have cold water in the bathroom - no hot, and no water whatsoever coming from the kitchen faucet. We also use a heated hose. Our belly is enclosed and we've had the heat on 72. When we left for Christmas it was at 55, so I don't fear frozen pipes, but maybe it's a possibility? The hot water heater has hot water in it, none of the valves are icey either. I just don't know how to fix it, and I'm very new at this. Any ideas?
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the water lines run under the floor, but you also have many of them that run above the floor, inside cupboards, against the outside wall. Typically these water lines are the first to freeze and water stops flowing. There may be hot water in the water heater, but there is cold water in the water lines (until you turn on the faucet and water runs long enough to flow from the water heater to the faucet). So, a hot water line, laying adjacent to the outside wall of the trailer, inside an unheated cupboard, under the kitchen sink will freeze even if the inside air temperature next to the thermostat is 72F.

I'd suggest you turn the furnace up to a temperature as warm as you can manage, open all the cupboard/cabinet doors, turn on the faucets and let things thaw. Once that happens, you'll see water flowing from the faucets. Until then, the more heat you apply the faster the pipes will thaw.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many of the water lines run under the floor, but you also have many of them that run above the floor, inside cupboards, against the outside wall. Typically these water lines are the first to freeze and water stops flowing. There may be hot water in the water heater, but there is cold water in the water lines (until you turn on the faucet and water runs long enough to flow from the water heater to the faucet). So, a hot water line, laying adjacent to the outside wall of the trailer, inside an unheated cupboard, under the kitchen sink will freeze even if the inside air temperature next to the thermostat is 72F.

I'd suggest you turn the furnace up to a temperature as warm as you can manage, open all the cupboard/cabinet doors, turn on the faucets and let things thaw. Once that happens, you'll see water flowing from the faucets. Until then, the more heat you apply the faster the pipes will thaw.
This makes perfect sense, except if the lines were frozen, wouldn't I not be getting cold water at the bathroom? I guess I'm confused why the cold will come through but nothing will come through on the hot. Also, our pipes to the kitchen sink run along the back side of the furnace, they are warm.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the floorplan and a couple of pictures of a 2018 Hideout 28RKS online, your refrigerator sits on the back wall with the water heater directly under it. The water lines run from there, along the back wall inside the cupboard to the curb side, make a 90 degree turn and run along the curbside wall, under the outdoor kitchen (range and refrigerator) and make another 90 degree turn to go to the kitchen sink.

There is no insulation under the refrigerator floor, there is an uninsulated "outdoor shower" with hot and cold water lines and only a 1" Styrofoam insulated door to protect the outdoor kitchen. All of those areas are subject to freezing, especially if you didn't leave the cupboard doors open to get some heat into them. Warming the water lines (next to the furnace) where they make that 90 degree turn to the sink will not protect them from freezing under the outdoor kitchen, or at the connections to the outdoor shower or under the refrigerator, behind the water heater.

Since you have no hot water in the bathroom or the kitchen, I'd suspect that it's frozen behind the water heater where it "Tee's" to go in both directions. The cold water line, who knows, since it's operable in the bathroom but not the kitchen, it could be anywhere along the run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Terry W.

Quote:
Looking at the floorplan and a couple of pictures of a 2018 Hideout 28RKS online, your refrigerator sits on the back wall with the water heater directly under it. The water lines run from there, along the back wall inside the cupboard to the curb side, make a 90 degree turn and run along the curbside wall, under the outdoor kitchen (range and refrigerator) and make another 90 degree turn to go to the kitchen sink.

There is no insulation under the refrigerator floor, there is an uninsulated "outdoor shower" with hot and cold water lines and only a 1" Styrofoam insulated door to protect the outdoor kitchen. All of those areas are subject to freezing, especially if you didn't leave the cupboard doors open to get some heat into them. Warming the water lines (next to the furnace) where they make that 90 degree turn to the sink will not protect them from freezing under the outdoor kitchen, or at the connections to the outdoor shower or under the refrigerator, behind the water heater.

Since you have no hot water in the bathroom or the kitchen, I'd suspect that it's frozen behind the water heater where it "Tee's" to go in both directions. The cold water line, who knows, since it's operable in the bathroom but not the kitchen, it could be anywhere along the run.
Dumb suggest if you are getting cold water from both the cold and hot line in the sink/shower, is the water heater still in bypass? Are both the cold and hot valves at the back of the water heater open. Cold water goes in hot water heater and pushes hot water out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
Dumb suggest if you are getting cold water from both the cold and hot line in the sink/shower, is the water heater still in bypass? Are both the cold and hot valves at the back of the water heater open. Cold water goes in hot water heater and pushes hot water out.

We haven't touched the heater, so nothing was changed other than we left for a couple days. We full time in this travel trailer. There is only cold water in the bathroom, no hot. We took the panels off that we can take off and cranked the heat up to help thaw them out. Thanks for all the help, and for JRTJH for looking up the floor plan for me. I appreciate the help!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Terry W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
We haven't touched the heater, so nothing was changed other than we left for a couple days. We full time in this travel trailer. There is only cold water in the bathroom, no hot. We took the panels off that we can take off and cranked the heat up to help thaw them out. Thanks for all the help, and for JRTJH for looking up the floor plan for me. I appreciate the help!
Ok so there is no water flow from the hot side. I was thinking you were getting cold water flow from both hot and cold, sorry

2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post

That's not a dumb suggestion at all. I suspect that the hot, the cold or both water lines are frozen somewhere behind the water heater and possibly in multiple other locations along that back wall, under the trailer running to the bathroom and on the curb side around the outdoor kitchen. As for your bypass comment, if it was in the "winterize" position, then yes there would be no hot water in the trailer. But from the first post, it sounds like the OP is camping, had the water hooked up to city service and everything was working the evening before and sometime through the night, "things froze" and he no longer has hot water at any faucet and only cold water at the bathroom faucet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
That's not a dumb suggestion at all. I suspect that the hot, the cold or both water lines are frozen somewhere behind the water heater and possibly in multiple other locations along that back wall, under the trailer running to the bathroom and on the curb side around the outdoor kitchen. As for your bypass comment, if it was in the "winterize" position, then yes there would be no hot water in the trailer. But from the first post, it sounds like the OP is camping, had the water hooked up to city service and everything was working the evening before and sometime through the night, "things froze" and he no longer has hot water at any faucet and only cold water at the bathroom faucet.
The heat is on and all cabinets and panels are open that we could get opened, the cold water faucet in the shower and sink are both on, however, when I turn the sink faucet off, the shower also turns off. It's like aliens replumbed this thing overnight while we slept!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

You have ice at the Tee's under the shower. Leave the water running (watch your holding tanks to make sure they don't overfill) and it will take a bit of time, but the ice inside the Tee's will melt and things will start working properly. If you have a small electric heater, you might want to put it in front of the cupboards on the back wall to help. Otherwise, it's just wait for the heat to get to the pipes and thaw them.

Remember, it takes 3 or 4 hours to thaw a chicken breast, it takes as long or longer to thaw a "partially hidden pipe"..... Patience is a virtue

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
You have ice at the Tee's under the shower. Leave the water running (watch your holding tanks to make sure they don't overfill) and it will take a bit of time, but the ice inside the Tee's will melt and things will start working properly. If you have a small electric heater, you might want to put it in front of the cupboards on the back wall to help. Otherwise, it's just wait for the heat to get to the pipes and thaw them.

Remember, it takes 3 or 4 hours to thaw a chicken breast, it takes as long or longer to thaw a "partially hidden pipe"..... Patience is a virtue
Thank you for your help! I will keep the heat high and put my small heater near the back panels. It's a shame they don't come off, that would be too easy I guess. As for let the water run, is a drip good? While testing it earlier in the day, the dump lines froze in several places and I'm afraid of it backing up. I've got the tanks closed, but I didn't think it would freeze in the dump lines that quickly. Apparently they had fallen off the accordion type pipe support, so 2 areas are frozen in an L shape. Stupid mistakes, I know, we are learning so much.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a second sewer hose, just unhook one and hook up the other, if not, you'll need to bring them in (inside a covered tote) and let them thaw next to the heater. Remember, cold, frozen vinyl hose will crack, so be careful twisting and coiling the hose until it thaws some. The more water you flow through the pipes the more heat you'll get to the frozen sections. A dripping faucet will help prevent a frozen section, but the more water you get past the ice the more heat it will absorb and thaw. (within reason of course).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
Nomadicchefs

So you'll be happy to know, we are in fact such newbies that we didn't realize our heated hose had come unplugged. Literally the moment we plugged it back in, the hot water came pouring out of all faucets. Miraculous...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
This makes perfect sense, except if the lines were frozen, wouldn't I not be getting cold water at the bathroom? I guess I'm confused why the cold will come through but nothing will come through on the hot. Also, our pipes to the kitchen sink run along the back side of the furnace, they are warm.
I know its hard to believe but hot/warm water will freeze faster than cold water so your hot water lines could very well be frozen.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, water, hideout