Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
briyoung

Slideout storage

I did a search but couldn't find anything so here goes. Is it ok to keep your slideout out long term. I see a lot of permanent site trailers with the slide out I'm sure all season but doesn't mean it's good for them, just curious. We open ours back up when we get back from a trip and it stays open for weeks in the driveway.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Slideout storage

It's fine. Just keep the seals treated. I "exercise" my slides about every other month- put them out or bring them in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
TyeeMan

What do you recommend treating the seals with?
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Slide seal conditioner. I believe we use Camco brand at work, it sprays on as a foam.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
TyeeMan

Cool, thanks. In the spring we are looking to purchase a Bullet Premier 29RKPR, so having a slide will be new to us as or current coach does not jawed one.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I think that there's not a lot of "technical requirements" on slide maintenance. They are, for the most part, a fairly simple system, certainly not nearly as complicated as the space shuttle or a modern airplane. That said, ignoring the manufacturer's (Lippert) suggested maintenance requirements probably won't have nearly the impact on the slide's reliability as ignoring Boeing's maintenance requirements do on the reliability of a 747 airplane.

In other words, not following Lippert's advice probably won't have a significant impact on whether your slide lasts 4 years or 40 years, but with that said, here's what Lippert printed in their "Electric Slide Manual":

"Mechanical Maintenance
Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate the room once or twice a month to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated.
Check for any visible signs of external damage after and before movement of the travel trailer.
NOTE: For long-term storage: It is recommend that the room be closed (retracted)."

Just how important is the above? I dunno, but it's what the manufacturer recommends. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
TyeeMan

Thanks for the info! I'm one of those guys that keeps up on all the maintenance type stuff, cuz I don't want to be "that guy" on the side of the road, or at the campground wondering why my stuff doesn't work.

Might be a dumb question but, our new to us in the spring trailer, like our current trailer will spend 98% of it's time in the north words woods of Minnesota. I plan on keeping the slide closed whenever were not there.
Prior to closing the slide I would imagine one wants to make sure the top of the slide is as absolutely clean as possible right?
Any idea what most people do for that? Keep a step ladder and broom nearby and sweep the slide top prior to closing?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm one of those guys that keeps up on all the maintenance type stuff, cuz I don't want to be "that guy" on the side of the road, or at the campground wondering why my stuff doesn't work.

Might be a dumb question but, our new to us in the spring trailer, like our current trailer will spend 98% of it's time in the north words woods of Minnesota. I plan on keeping the slide closed whenever were not there.
Prior to closing the slide I would imagine one wants to make sure the top of the slide is as absolutely clean as possible right?
Any idea what most people do for that? Keep a step ladder and broom nearby and sweep the slide top prior to closing?
Get a slide topper. Will make life a lot easier!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
TyeeMan

I was thinking about that. Is there any worry about the slide topper catching the wind and turning into a sail while in transit? I've seen awnings do that. There isn't a locking mechanism on the slide topper is there?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
Tbos

I don't have a slide topper. Wish I did except when it would be billowing in the high winds. Since I don't I use a broom and collapsible step ladder to clean off the slide if we are under shedding trees etc...

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I was thinking about that. Is there any worry about the slide topper catching the wind and turning into a sail while in transit? I've seen awnings do that. There isn't a locking mechanism on the slide topper is there?
There is an anti billowing device that is installed with the topper. I simple terms it's an "arm" that is attached to the roller, and if the topper is fully retracted it will hit the side of the trailer stopping it from opening up. As you extend the slide the roller turns and there is enough clearance for the arm to rotate. .

Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
Gegrad

Quote:
I don't have a topper, so I carry a 4' step ladder in my truck and a small leaf blower in my rig. When ready to pack it up I just climb up on the step ladder and blow everything off with said blower. Cleaned up in a minute or so!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I have a roof ladder and use a broom. There are times I'm up there retrieving the sat dish so I do two tasks at once.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

We use 1) a 7' collapsible ladder, 2) extend a pole with brush on the end and 3) a cordless blower. When it is wet or moist a blower is useless. If you are under pine trees and the needles are falling they will fill your gutters and the only way to get them out is with the brush. Of course, you can do as I did one year and just sort of "put it off", then, when you take the brush to get the pine needles out they have then decomposed enough to be a real pain, so IMO just do it regularly in those situations as I now do. I also keep a head for the extend a pole that is sort of like lambs wool that I permeate with seal conditioner and coat them after cleaning them (I have a walkable roof with ladder but can no longer try to navigate that).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I have slide toppers on both of my slides. No need to climb a ladder before retracting. They are spring loaded so there is constant tension toward retraction. I've never seen, nor heard of any issues with wind.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have slide toppers on both of my slides. No need to climb a ladder before retracting. They are spring loaded so there is constant tension toward retraction. I've never seen, nor heard of any issues with wind.

We have had a few. It can be "fun" adding tension so it doesn't flap and will still fully extend

Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #17
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

What brand of toppers do you have? Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #18
TyeeMan

This is all great and helpful info, I appreciate it!

Sounds like the little arm the keeps the slide topper from billowing during transit is kind of like the lever you manually flipped on the older Dometic A&E manual awnings. When it's rolled up it's locked, then you flip the lever to pull out the awning. A pawl lever I guess you could call it.

Tags
slide, slideout, storage