Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
meyerske

Unhappy Low of 28F - Do I Need to Winterize?

Low of 28F, highs in the mid 50's - Do I Need to Winterize?
meyerske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

If 28 F is as cold as it's going to get there all winter, I would say no, no need to winterize.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
DieselMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
If 28 F is as cold as it's going to get there all winter, I would say no, no need to winterize.
Really? I'm curious as to why this is. I've been told that if it drops below freezing for more than a few hours then I should winterize. Not saying what I was told is correct, just saying that is what I was told.

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

From a very "CAUTIOUS" point of view, if it's going to drop to 28 and stay there, then I'd at least blow the water out of the lines, add a little antifreeze to the traps and the toilet. That's my 'over cautious self" talking.....

Now, what many subscribe to is this: The "mass" of the travel trailer will heat up sufficiently during the day to prevent complete cool down to the ambient temperature during the cold parts of the evening. What that means in "english" is that if the trailer is in the sun, it will warm up enough during the day that it shouldn't freeze at night when the temp drops below freezing. OPERATIVE WORD" "shouldn't"

When we lived in Louisiana, I never winterized until around mid January and then only when the weatherman on the evening news predicted a hard freeze tonight and I'd run outside in the cold and blow out the water lines. I seemed to always react after the crisis was upon us.

Now, living in the "tundra" I've already winterized for the upcoming cold weather that I know is about to be here, possibly as early as next week.....

Oh for nights of 28 and days of 50 again LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
twstdpear

Here in the DC area, we usually have a few 50 degree high / 28 degree low days during October. When the forecast calls for sub-freezing overnight temps, and I haven't winterized yet, I set our electric heater on its lowest setting and put it on the stove in the trailer in oscillating mode. It keeps it just warm enough that we don't have to worry about anything freezing for those few colder nights.

I have the luxury of being able to park my trailer right next to the house and I have a 30A receptacle available. If I had to store the trailer elsewhere where I didn't readily have access to power and couldn't keep an eye on it, or if the forecast was sustained sub-freezing overnight temps I would probably go ahead and winterize ASAP it just to be on the overly cautious side.

This year it looks like I may actually be able to make it into November before I have to winterize. The extended forecast is call for lows in the low 40's until right before the end of the month when it gets down to the upper 30's.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
therink

I have had nighttime temps down to 25 with daytime temps in 40s with no problems. This happens in early spring after I dewinterize. When this happens I usually run then furnace a little the night before and open up interior cabinets where there are plumbing lines. This gives the trailer a little boost in temperature. I also. Make sure waste tanks are empty and valves left open to avoid damage. Also not a bad idea to open faucets and low point drains to remove majorityof water in system .

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Neil

I would winterize the trailer if it was mine, I would not risk the chance of finding out in the Spring that the newly purchased trailer have broken water lines when the temperature dips below the average winter temperature. If Im going through the process of blowing the water out of the lines, I might as well winterize it to be safe. Weather you do it yourself or have it done is a lot cheaper than addressing the issue if the water line breaks when your ready to use it the next Spring. Whether the manufacturer covers it or not if a line breaks due to neglect is something you dont want to risk finding out later on. Im very sure that it would be in the dealership service bay for more than a month or two if you are lucky. Save yourself any issues later on, when in doubt do the best thing to protect your purchase; WINTERIZE. Enjoy your camper next year.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Jim & DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would winterize the trailer if it was mine, I would not risk the chance of finding out in the Spring that the newly purchased trailer have broken water lines when the temperature dips below the average winter . If Im going through the process of blowing the water out of the lines, I might as well winterize it to be safe. Weather you do it yourself or have it done is a lot cheaper than addressing the issue if the water line breaks when your ready to use it the next Spring. Whether the manufacturer covers it or not if a line breaks due to neglect is something you dont want to risk finding out later on. Im very sure that it would be in the dealership service bay for more than a month or two if you are lucky. Save yourself any issues later on, when in doubt do the best thing to protect your purchase; WINTERIZE. Enjoy your camper next year.
Well said Neil. Be safe rather than sorry.

-----------------------------------------------------

A bit of our history:
(The last 7 years anyway)
Now with Michelin LT XPS
68 Harley FLH
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite (gone)
2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana F3465 SA
2007 F-350 6.0 D
2012 Shih tzu

Jim & DJ
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

OP made absolutely no indication of where he is located. Instead, he simply indicated an average temperature well above the freezing point of water.

So the highly generalized "well said" conclusion that OP should winterize and "save himself any issues" is ridiculous. There are plenty of places in the US where this exercise is a total waste of time, effort, and materials.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

diugo -

Could it be that the recommendations to winterize and to err on the side of caution were based on the low temperature of 28 deg F rather than the highs in the mid 50's?

Since none of us know, including yourself, where the OP lives and where his RV will be, it is rather difficult to give advice based on the information the OP provided. Given the limited information provided, it would appear that the recommendations were for the OP to exercise caution and opt to take some steps to prevent freeze up and possible damage from broken water lines.

Their suggestions to winterize are no more "ridiculous" than your advice not to bother.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Terry W.

Winterize period, IMHO. I may winterize 2-3 times a year. At 3 bucks a gallon I winterize. When it only takes 30-60 min. to do the work with an air compressor and pick up hose I choose not to risk it. We are in the foothills of the Somkey Mountains it was 31 here this morning. Now I have left the furnace on the lowest setting before also in between trips, afterblowing out the lines.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
jerseyphil

Ice - How Much Expansion

I just did a little research, because although almost everyone knows water expands when turning to ice, I wondered if it expands a little when it initially freezes, and then more when it gets colder.

The answer I got was that water expands 9% when it turns to ice due to hexagonal crystals that form which takes up more space. There is no additional expansion. There is a very, very slight contraction as it gets colder after that, but it is still stays around 9% expansion.

With that in mind, whenever the predicted weather was for 32 or below, I would winterize to be safe.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Javi

Down here in Central Texas I winterize several times a year because we camp often during the "winter" our temps can vary from 80-90 one day to mid-teens the next. It's just too easy to blow out the lines and pour a gallon or so of antifreeze into the pee traps and toilet to risk the cost of lines freezing. In fact many times I winterize before leaving the campsite so that all I have to do is park the trailer when we get home. This works great for me because I usually have to be at work the next morning at 5am.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
gkainz

I just finished a week of hunting camp in my Laredo. Temps were mid 50's days and mid to low 20's nights. I didn't winterize, but kept the furnace on its lowest setting at night. It stayed about 55 inside and I had (edit) NO freeze problems.
Your results may vary, of course.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
I.plod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
Winterize period, IMHO. I may winterize 2-3 times a year. At 3 bucks a gallon I winterize. When it only takes 30-60 min. to do the work with an air compressor and pick up hose I choose not to risk it. We are in the foothills of the Somkey Mountains it was 31 here this morning. Now I have left the furnace on the lowest setting before also in between trips, afterblowing out the lines.
I agree. At $3.13 a gallon at Walmart and 20 minutes of time (I have a small-ish trailer) it's worth it for peace of mind.

It was 28 last Friday night at Ferrum Virginia. I used an electric heater to keep the trailer at 40.

I know physics, I know water freezes at 32, but I thought my water filter outside might be okay. Wrong. Filter was a loss, hose okay. Trailer dry and water tight.
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote