Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
BookPaul74

A/c # 2

So I just got back from a three day trip to Scottsbluff, NE for cataract surgery. It was in the high 90’s to just over 100 degrees. The one A/C was not really keeping up midday to sunset when the sun was full on.

It’s a 337fls 2014. The hallway was showing 97 degrees with the thermostat set at 74. The front living room on the shaded side with a tower fan running was comfortable.

So if I’m going to use it during the summer it looks like I’ll need a second A/C.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
wogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
So I just got back from a three day trip to Scottsbluff, NE for cataract surgery. It was in the high 90’s to just over 100 degrees. The one A/C was not really keeping up midday to sunset when the sun was full on.

It’s a 337fls 2014. The hallway was showing 97 degrees with the thermostat set at 74. The front living room on the shaded side with a tower fan running was comfortable.

So if I’m going to use it during the summer it looks like I’ll need a second A/C.
I would recommend you look into putting a mini split A/C into your rig. They are much more efficient and cool much better and quiet enough that you don't even know it is running.
wogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Paul, if this is a 50A camper your bedroom vent may be wired/braced for a 2nd A/C. If so, the easiest install is to install the second A/C without going through the thermostat and using manual controls but if you want to use zone 1 and zone 2 via the thermostat, make sure you buy the same brand as it will likely be more suitable for being controlled by that thermostat. We added a portable 14.5K BTU to augment our 15K BTU Dometic on the roof.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Paul, if this is a 50A camper your bedroom vent may be wired/braced for a 2nd A/C. If so, the easiest install is to install the second A/C without going through the thermostat and using manual controls but if you want to use zone 1 and zone 2 via the thermostat, make sure you buy the same brand as it will likely be more suitable for being controlled by that thermostat. We added a portable 14.5K BTU to augment our 15K BTU Dometic on the roof.
The bedroom is wired for it and the breaker is already in the box. The ceiling is low enough to just use the controls on the inside part.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogg View Post
I would recommend you look into putting a mini split A/C into your rig. They are much more efficient and cool much better and quiet enough that you don't even know it is running.
This thing has 4 slide outs so between the cabinets and the moving walls there’s not too many places to mount it, to say nothing of plumbing it and mounting the outside portion.

But thanks for the idea. 👍
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
travelin texans

The manufacturers should never build a 30'+ rv with only 1 a/c.
In my opinion they should both be 15k units & 1 should be a heat pump.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:29 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The manufacturers should never build a 30'+ rv with only 1 a/c.
In my opinion they should both be 15k units & 1 should be a heat pump.
Well we have a 32' 5er and currently in central Oregon and a single AC is keeping us pretty comfortable, interior temps get to about 76 as outside temps get to 100. Our current site has partial shade, yes a second AC means the main would not work as hard.

We hosted on the coast and Willamette Valley for several years and didn't have a need.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:42 AM   #8
GMH

Quote:

You may need one, but before you spend the cash…pull all the grills off and check for blockages. Also check the divider between the supply and return sides above the main grill. It should separate the two with no leaks. Check my thread here and also the link that I posted in it. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48171
Old 07-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well we have a 32' 5er and currently in central Oregon and a single AC is keeping us pretty comfortable, interior temps get to about 76 as outside temps get to 100. Our current site has partial shade, yes a second AC means the main would not work as hard.

We hosted on the coast and Willamette Valley for several years and didn't have a need.
I agree there are places that a 2nd a/c wouldn't be needed. From my experience that those places DO get warm & when it does that main a/c never shuts down til about an hour before daylight for about an hour then fires up again to run non stop all day. We've been to places that the 2 a/cs in a 38-40' 5th wheel NEVER shut off the entire stay to keep the interior at about 80 degrees with 2-3 fans running.
Quite honestly I've never heard/read of anyone complaining they have "too much a/c!".
I'd rather have it & not need it than to need it & not have it! Or worse yet is find you need it & can't add it without a total remodel of the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

The need for cool and via an air conditioner(s) is subjective; some folks like the sauna environment. Fat ol' boys like me, well, not so much.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The need for cool and via an air conditioner(s) is subjective; some folks like the sauna environment. Fat ol' boys like me, well, not so much.
Yep.... When we first moved back to Michigan (from Louisiana) we wore jackets every night in July... Now, we're taking those jackets off in April when it gets above 50F... We don't need a second A/C around here and we've learned (the hard way) about not towing to south Texas, Louisiana, the entire Gulf Coast or the desert (high or low) in the summer....

We built our house without central air (didn't need it with jackets) and then transitioned to a window unit a couple years after that. It took 5 years before we turned to each other, said, "Damn, it's hot in here" and installed the central air.

It's all about being acclimated to what's comfortable and a very individual thing for each of us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Reminds me of my childhood. My best friend's family that lived across the street were from SC. In the heat of summer his father would be mowing the grass wearing long sleeve coveralls and not breaking a sweat (90+ deg and 70%+ humidity). My father would be sweating like a mule pulling a coal wagon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote