Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Docjeffry

2012 19FBPR Wiring Diagram

All,

I recently bought this Trailer (Bullet Premier Ultra Light 19FBPR). I found out last night when I took it out that my 12volt does not work when not on shore power. It seems some things have been monkied with as the tongue jack switch works backwards, the switch for the slide operates backwards from it's marking. The tongue jack works from the battery only. The slide ALSO works on battery only. I know that's not right.

I need to get this stuff back in factory spec order. Is there a diagram available for models before 2018? Any ideas on my 12v other than maybe the previous owner blew something?

Thank you.
Docjeffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
Hblick48

The tongue jack and slides only work on 12 volts. When plugged into shore power, an on board converter charges the 12 volt battery.

If 2 switches work backwards, sounds to me that the batteries are hooked up backwards. The charger can probably sense that the battery is reversed, thus it won't charge.

The best way to tell is to trace the wires from the charger back to the battery. Black should be ground and red is positive.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Docjeffry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
The tongue jack and slides only work on 12 volts. When plugged into shore power, an on board converter charges the 12 volt battery.

If 2 switches work backwards, sounds to me that the batteries are hooked up backwards. The charger can probably sense that the battery is reversed, thus it won't charge.

The best way to tell is to trace the wires from the charger back to the battery. Black should be ground and red is positive.
I'll check it out tonight but, would it also cause my 12V to not work while unplugged?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

OK, let's start over. The battery will have 2 large wires connected to it. Most like;ly, a black and a white white. First follow the wires to see which one goes to the frame. That is the ground and should be connected to the battery negative post. In trailers with black and white wires vs black and red the white wire is the ground and the black is positive. If the battery is connected backwards then there are 2 fuses in the fuse panel that will blow. They are reverse polarity fuses that protect the converter in the event that it's connected backwards.

When you say the slide and tongue jack work "backwards" describe what the switch position is in vs what the label says. On tongue jacks "UP" means the jack leg moves up, not the trailer and "down" means the jack leg goes down not the trailer. So when you run the jack down the front of the trailer goes up and when you run the jack "up" the front of the trailer goes down.

The slide should go out when the switch is pressed on the side marked "extend" (may be labeled ext.) and come in when the switch is depressed on the switch where it's marked "retract" (or ret.).
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docjeffry View Post
I'll check it out tonight but, would it also cause my 12V to not work while unplugged?

Thanks.
Have you checked for a battery disconnect switch? Perhaps the previous owner added one? Where did you buy this trailer? Did they not go over the how the trailer ios operated?
Old 07-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
Docjeffry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
OK, let's start over. The battery will have 2 large wires connected to it. Most like;ly, a black and a white white. First follow the wires to see which one goes to the frame. That is the ground and should be connected to the battery negative post. In trailers with black and white wires vs black and red the white wire is the ground and the black is positive. If the battery is connected backwards then there are 2 fuses in the fuse panel that will blow. They are reverse polarity fuses that protect the converter in the event that it's connected backwards.

When you say the slide and tongue jack work "backwards" describe what the switch position is in vs what the label says. On tongue jacks "UP" means the jack leg moves up, not the trailer and "down" means the jack leg goes down not the trailer. So when you run the jack down the front of the trailer goes up and when you run the jack "up" the front of the trailer goes down.

The slide should go out when the switch is pressed on the side marked "extend" (may be labeled ext.) and come in when the switch is depressed on the switch where it's marked "retract" (or ret.).
For the slide, the control panel switch says out and in. Switch works opposite of that. The jack has an Extend and retract markings. The switch works opposite. I know the basics on wiring. I have not checked the battery but will tonight.

I was told a new jack was installed. Perhaps that is where things went wrong. Also, there are signs of someone having been behind the control switch panel for Slide, water heater, lights, etc...

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you will have your hands full with a VOM and or test light straightening out what sounds like a "hack job" by the PO. Does the tongue jack have one wire or two? If it only has one wire then it uses the frame as a ground and that would be an indication that the battery cables are reversed.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
Docjeffry

Update! Yes the battery was hooked up backwards! The slide and tongue jack work as they should per the markings on the controls.

I still have no 12V unless plugged into shore power. All fuses on the control panel/center passed a continuity test. None found to be blown. I would expect a fuse to be blown somewhere. I feel like I am getting close.

I also pulled the converter below. I did test and received 120 AC at the smaller wires, and 13 DC at the big fat Red and White wire.

Additional observations. When correcting the battery (I replaced it with a better one from my old trailer) It did test with 12V power so it was charged. My new battery went in with a full charge as well.

I will post follow up pics for this post.

Where should i look for a fault next?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

With the battery polarity reversed then I'd expect the recerse polarity fuses to be blown. There should be rwo fuses, most likely 40 amp for this. They may be mounted on the backside of the converter. Look for a model number on the panel or converter and google that to find a manual.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Docjeffry

Quote:
With the battery polarity reversed then I'd expect the recerse polarity fuses to be blown. There should be two fuses, most likely 40 amp for this. They may be mounted on the backside of the converter. Look for a model number on the panel or converter and google that to find a manual.
Well, I flipped this switch to the on position and everything appears to be working as it should. I'm going to keep an eye on things to make sure we're good. The switch is shown in the off position.

I didn't find any additional 40 amp fuses on the converter but the two visible 40 amp fuses were okay.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Having the battery disconnect in the disconnected position while the battery was connected backwards is what prevented the fuses from blowing. Sounds like you're good to go.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
Docjeffry

Quote:
Having the battery disconnect in the disconnected position while the battery was connected backwards is what prevented the fuses from blowing. Sounds like you're good to go.
Sweet! Thank you for all of your help! Happy trails.

BTW, what do you fly? I am a Grumman AA1-A owner...
Old 08-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docjeffry View Post
Sweet! Thank you for all of your help! Happy trails.

BTW, what do you fly? I am a Grumman AA1-A owner...
Cessna 182 rg but that was pre diabetes many years ago.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
MarkEHansen

That's what I flew as well! It's like we're brothers!
Old 08-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
That's what I flew as well! It's like we're brothers!
I miss it all these years later. The flight instructor I chose was a Naval Aviator and was fantastic. He had me doing things that were "out of the norm" like doing touch and goes on an "officially closed" runway that was completly iced over. He would always say " do you want to fly inyo these conditions for the first time with me here or by yourself?" I was confident but not stupid so we went. He never once took the controls from me but a few times I wondered why.

Tags
19fbpr, wiring, wiring diagram