Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Dcastle

Keystone Cougar - replacement wardrobe?

Hey Everybody,
First post here. Completely new to the camping world. Hopefully this is an okay place to post this.

I JUST bought a 2016 Keystone Cougar 336 BHS fifth wheel. I haven’t even picked it up yet. I’ll be hauling with a 2016 duramax.

Upon investigation after buying, I’ve realized that somebody has had the master bedroom apart. It is missing the nightstand, headboard, and wardrobe. The wall is also a different color. Maybe it had a leak at some point?

Anyway… I REALLY like things to be the way they’re supposed to be. Call me ocd. But I can’t find these pieces anywhere.

Am I SOL? Or is there a specific place I should be searching?

Pic(s) for reference of what I have versus what I believe i SHOULD have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06A5C208-2E82-4701-882D-87BADEC7C3A6.png
Views:	210
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	34936   Click image for larger version

Name:	C4F8E857-B036-4C21-ACC7-952BD6DA3405.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	34937  
Dcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Who is selling this to you? Who has the history? Can someone provide that to you or are you just buying this "blind" and hoping?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #3
LHaven

It looks to me like someone modded the bedroom for a wider (king?) bed. Though clearly they didn't modify the base (maybe just stuck a piece of plywood on top).

Are the carpets worn around the edges, but not under the footprint of a king mattress?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
Northofu1

I would look deeper into the condition of the tires/ suspension. Date of manufacturing of tires, they should have been changed at least once. Are they same brand? Look for newly added caulk on roof. By the look of the bunk sofa, it was not gently used, I know vinyl RV furniture can peel, but that looks excessive. Something seems off about that bedroom, I would be suspect about the missing items and the wallboard.

If you know anyone that is experienced with large rv's or 5ers, take them with you on the delivery inspection. If not, maybe try to find a mobile tech that will go with you, it might be worth the money.
Attached is a PDI list that will give you an idea of what you should be looking for.
I hope you haven't paid for it yet. If you have, be prepared to dust off that Mastercard.
I also hope that Duramax is inside a 3500, for payload's sake.
Sorry if I've scared you.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum. There is a ton of experience here and answers to most problems you might have.
P.S.
Was the trailer originally purchased from that dealer?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI_V113_2 ANGELFIRE.pdf (92.4 KB, 379 views)

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:14 AM   #5
Dcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I would look deeper into the condition of the tires/ suspension. Date of manufacturing of tires, they should have been changed at least once. Are they same brand? Look for newly added caulk on roof. By the look of the bunk sofa, it was not gently used, I know vinyl RV furniture can peel, but that looks excessive. Something seems off about that bedroom, I would be suspect about the missing items and the wallboard.

If you know anyone that is experienced with large rv's or 5ers, take them with you on the delivery inspection. If not, maybe try to find a mobile tech that will go with you, it might be worth the money.
Attached is a PDI list that will give you an idea of what you should be looking for.
I hope you haven't paid for it yet. If you have, be prepared to dust off that Mastercard.
I also hope that Duramax is inside a 3500, for payload's sake.
Sorry if I've scared you.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum. There is a ton of experience here and answers to most problems you might have.
P.S.
Was the trailer originally purchased from that dealer?
Nothing scares me! I appreciate input and honesty.

Honestly this was an impulse buy. I was going to look at a tag along and the wife liked this one. It’s fully paid for, as I had to do everything electronically.
The truck is a 2500HD. The thought had crossed my mind that it was a little too much for what I had, but I was assured I was good to go. Knowing what I know about these trucks, I may be looking at a way to beef up my rear suspension.

Onto the RV. That rear couch appears like it was used by a dog. I get a “dog” type of smell when I walk into that room. Not terrible… but noticeable. I found it very strange myself.

The tires appear to have been replaced, as the old ones are thrown in the storage compartment underneath. I’m not sure what else to look at underneath.

Regarding the bedroom.. my first instinct last night before I posted here was to email my insurance agent and have her search for previous claims. I’d expect to hear from her today. I never considered that it was modified for a larger bed… which would be okay with me! I’m more worried about hidden water damage. Everything seemed really solid with no soft spots. I couldn’t find a water stain anywhere.

I’m assuming there isn’t a history report I can purchase like a carfax?
Sorry! I come from the automotive world. This RV thing is all Greek to me.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcastle View Post
Hey Everybody,
First post here. Completely new to the camping world. Hopefully this is an okay place to post this.

I JUST bought a 2016 Keystone Cougar 336 BHS fifth wheel. I haven’t even picked it up yet. I’ll be hauling with a 2016 duramax.

Upon investigation after buying, I’ve realized that somebody has had the master bedroom apart. It is missing the nightstand, headboard, and wardrobe. The wall is also a different color. Maybe it had a leak at some point?

Anyway… I REALLY like things to be the way they’re supposed to be. Call me ocd. But I can’t find these pieces anywhere.

Am I SOL? Or is there a specific place I should be searching?

Pic(s) for reference of what I have versus what I believe i SHOULD have.
I would be worried about the left side of the upper cabinet …it looks like it used to get its support from the wardrobe that was removed..I agree someone may have removed it for a bigger mattress or because they didn’t like the enclosed feeling at the headboard
I would take a really really good look at the “new” tires. Especially the date codes and load ratings as someone probably put the very cheapest tire on there..you don’t want a blowout …they are more common then you may think..if it was water damage that would explain the missing pieces…is it new carpet?
Old 07-29-2021, 03:47 AM   #7
Northofu1

Quote:
Nothing scares me! I appreciate input and honesty.

Honestly this was an impulse buy. I was going to look at a tag along and the wife liked this one. It’s fully paid for, as I had to do everything electronically.
The truck is a 2500HD. The thought had crossed my mind that it was a little too much for what I had, but I was assured I was good to go. Knowing what I know about these trucks, I may be looking at a way to beef up my rear suspension.

Onto the RV. That rear couch appears like it was used by a dog. I get a “dog” type of smell when I walk into that room. Not terrible… but noticeable. I found it very strange myself.

The tires appear to have been replaced, as the old ones are thrown in the storage compartment underneath. I’m not sure what else to look at underneath.

Regarding the bedroom.. my first instinct last night before I posted here was to email my insurance agent and have her search for previous claims. I’d expect to hear from her today. I never considered that it was modified for a larger bed… which would be okay with me! I’m more worried about hidden water damage. Everything seemed really solid with no soft spots. I couldn’t find a water stain anywhere.

I’m assuming there isn’t a history report I can purchase like a carfax?
Sorry! I come from the automotive world. This RV thing is all Greek to me.
That's good.
A set of Bilsteins and an air ride system should get you where you want to be dependent on how close you are to payload. Check the payload sticker on your drivers post and when you get it all set up take it to the Cat or other weigh scales to make sure you know where you're at. Not sure if you've got a hitch yet but the Andersen Ultimate is going to save you 100+ lbs of payload over a regular 5th wheel hitch.
Good luck to you sir and I hope it all works out.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

To clarify, air bags will REDUCE THE PAYLOAD. That's right, the weight of the airbags is taken off the available payload. Nothing will increase your payload capacity of your truck.

Thus far IMHO you have made a huge misteak. Sounds like you purchased a used camper sight unseen and have no idea if the truck you have can safely tow it. If you "impulse buy" a microwave on line wouldn't you measure the countertop first yo see if it fits? I'm guessing the "the your truck will pull it" came from the same trusted source that sold you this camper?

Not to be an alarmist but my advice (if you can't cancel this transaction) is to take a step back, take a deep breath and find out exactly what you have and what you need. Obviously as stated you have no idea what you are looking at so I would suggest you start off with the safety items first. Get a mobile tech to inspect the brakes, tires, and suspension. Then do some research on weights and the capacity of the truck. The truck payload number will be printed on the tire inflation sticker on the driver's door. The pin weight on that trailer for estimating should be around 23% of it's weight. We don’t know the actual weight so we'll use the gross weight to estimate. That pin weight should be around 2,800 lbs + the weight of the hitch (100 - 300) so you are looking at a payload around 3,000 lbs.

You have a lot of research to do and I wish you well. Impulse buying, especially on an item that you have no knowledge can lead you down a dangerous road finacially and for safety. Towing 6 tons behind a truck not properly set up can lead to bad things, usually at a most inopportune time. Good luck and stay safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Just looking at the pics from the dealer it's hard to tell what was going on with that trailer other than that couch REALLY got some hard use and that's one thing "pleather" doesn't like. What happened to that kitchen faucet? Did they just extend it and put it in the sink? Couldn't really see the hose connecting the 2.

The bedroom (hopefully) is the result of someone who didn't like the "cramped" feeling of the wardrobe and drawers on either side of the bed in the nose of the 5vr. Looks like they may have tried to give themselves breathing room by removing those items. The front wall mod would give me a little pause (covering up the shelf nook) as it might have been an attempt to cover damage. You might be able to look closely in/inside the pass through for any kind of evidence of damage.

As one post mentioned, the removal of the wardrobe may have weakened the end of the overhead storage. If there is evidence of screw removal etc. on the end of the upper left storage cabinet you might want to look at a way to reinforce it and/or load that cabinet lightly (might save a painful boink on the head in the middle of the night).

Finding discarded tires in the pass through is not evidence of "new" tires; possibly (probably) more like "different" tires. Look at the tire brand, size and load range. Some brands need to be replaced as they are ticking time bombs. Same goes for wrong size or load range tires. It's very possible the dealer just threw some "different" tires on from the pile they have laying out back. Or, as in the case of folks like me, they may have a pile of new tires that came on a trailer that the new owner has removed because they don't want them. Just check them out before going anywhere. Also, look at the tires in the storage compartment and see if they have any unusual wear patterns or if they look like they have worn evenly across the tire. Unusual wear could indicate some sort of suspension malfunction.

Truck and trailer combo; You need to post the numbers from the yellow/white/black sticker inside the driver door. I couldn't find any specifics on the truck other than it is a 2500HD so your payload could vary significantly based on trim level, gas vs diesel etc. Posting that info in your user signature would be beneficial to all.

The trailer has a gvw of 12,900. Rounding to 13k and using 21% as guestimated pinweight = 2730lbs. Add 200 for hitch = 2930. That will probably match or exceed your 2500 payload - and you haven't added a single individual, water bottle etc. at this point.

Adding air bags, Bilsteins etc. can improve the ride/handling but do so at the expense of available payload. Whatever they weigh comes straight off the amount of weight the truck can safely "carry", not "pull".

Buying something like this RV on impulse, without a lot of due diligence, can be not only a back breaker but a bank account breaker. In the interest of you and your family's safety you need to get neck deep in assessing what it is you have purchased, preferably with someone knowledgeable about RVs. I wish you luck and post any questions or progress.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
travelin texans

You've received some great advice on both the rv & the truck!
As to finding finding replacement wardrobes & headboard I think they're on aisle 5 just below the hens teeth & above the unicorns. Seriously finding those original parts for a particular 5-6 year old model rv will be next to impossible.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

There appears to be some damage to the "fake wood covering" on the front slide between the first and second door. It looks like the vinyl contact paper has been pulled off that part of the slide.

As for the removed closet/cabinet, there is a "dark shadow" on the floor where the front of the closet was installed. The carpet and the wall appear to have dark stains/mold in that area. It may just be shadows in the photograph, but there may be more going on that first glances afford.

Again, based solely on a couple of "grainy, blown up photos" it looks to me like the front cap has been removed. On the roadside photo, there is a "balloon bump" on the roof at the union between the cap and the TPO roofing. Both sides look like they do not "sit properly on the trailer sides" and there is some different color sealant on the upper corner unions. It may be nothing, but with the interior front lower wallboard being replaced and the cabinets being removed, all of that sure looks like a "hack-job repair" of some water damage.

With the bunkhouse sofa damage, the kitchen faucet, the vinyl damage on the front slide face and the front cap issues, this may be a "repossession" that had an angry previous owner, it may be a "insurance totaled trailer" that's been rebuilt and traded in, it could be that the previous owner got tired of the mold and water in the front bedroom and traded it in and this is what the RV dealer did to "fix it good enough to sell it"..... Or it may just be an "impulsive first owner who wanted a bigger space to sleep in"....

At any rate, I'd be extremely cautious about just masking that area by installing cabinets (if you could find them).... I'd be taking it apart to see what's behind that area and I'd be spending a LOT of time and effort along the front cap seams.....

As for the truck, that's a heavy pinweight for a 2500 diesel. Check your weights on a "real scale" not a "paperworked internet site" so you know where you stand.... I'd suspect you'll be surprised at how heavy your rig will be when you get accurate weights.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #12
Javi

Personally, I'd plant my right foot, elevate the heal slightly and spin 180 degrees.... then run, run far away ��
Old 07-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #13
Northofu1

The air lift 5000 kit weighs 23 lbs and the andersen weighs 37 lbs totalling 60 lbs total.
The B&W Companion 20k weighs 206 lbs.
It sucks, and it's not right, but he's not alone.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Well, now that our forensic analysts have discovered every flaw, just want to put this forward: Your truck isn't up to pulling this trailer. Numbers have been run a couple times but you DO NOT have the payload. Loaded, this camper is about a 1/2 ton over your payload. Look for a bumper pull or new truck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
Dcastle

I appreciate everybody’s input, and am considering all the advise.

I trade trucks often and upgrading to a 3500HD this year is not out of the question. I’m about due for a trade.

Yes, it is the salesman who told me “I’ve got plenty” of truck. I did a quick search on weights and this is attachment what I had come up with.
The payload capacity on the door jamb is 2280.

I’m thinking another “pre-delivery” trip to sit down with sale guy is in order. It would be a big pain in the *** to reverse all of this at the bank now, but I’m not against it if I find that something is being hidden from me. I’m also not crazy about being told my truck can handle something that it cannot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	624573ED-E0E8-4B2E-AA6C-7C8C847886EF.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	34962  
Old 07-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I trade trucks often and upgrading to a 3500HD this year is not out of the question. I’m about due for a trade.

Yes, it is the salesman who told me “I’ve got plenty” of truck. I did a quick search on weights and this is attachment what I had come up with.

I’m thinking another “pre-delivery” trip to sit down with sale guy is in order. It would be a big pain in the *** to reverse all of this at the bank now, but I’m not against it if I find that something is being hidden from me. I’m also not crazy about being told my truck can handle something that it cannot.
That pin weight is a fantasy number. That's a number posted by the manufacturer to get the unknowing to think their truck is OK and gives the dealer (who should know better) an excuse to tell you the same. That number is before the batteries are installed, the LP tanks are filled, and with NOTHING in the trailer. IOs that6 how you will use it?

While it might be a PIA to "reverse things at the bank now" I think you'll be a lot better off. I'd much rather go thru a a day or so of that vs spending every day that you own it regretting your decision. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:

If there is any way to have someone inspect it before you take delivery then I would do that..an rv Surveyer maybe…but there seems to be a lot of doubts on this one as far as red flags….a little bit of a pain in the @#$ now will save you an ongoing pain for years to come and you may have a hard time unloading it…I can picture you trying to trade it in to the same dealer in a year and they say…. “What happened to the furniture in the bedroom?” ….and your like…. “ what the @#. …you sold it to me like that!”

The rv industry will settle down before you know it and the lots will be filled with rv’s that you can pick from and not have to buy one that needs to be assembled and put back together
Old 07-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If there is any way to have someone inspect it before you take delivery then I would do that..an rv Surveyer maybe…but there seems to be a lot of doubts on this one as far as red flags….a little bit of a pain in the @#$ now will save you an ongoing pain for years to come and you may have a hard time unloading it…I can picture you trying to trade it in to the same dealer in a year and they say…. “What happened to the furniture in the bedroom?” ….and your like…. “ what the @#. …you sold it to me like that!”

The rv industry will settle down before you know it and the lots will be filled with rv’s that you can pick from and not have to buy one that needs to be assembled and put back together

Our competent and courteous staff has opined very professionally.
But this paragraph completely expresses summary.
Good job Marshall.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #19
foldbak

That's funny! I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. It's impossible to make that bed with the night stands which really dont get used. I will most likely leave the headboard cubby for cell phone and wife's lotions etc. As far as weight. It's pretty minimal given the light weight material they use.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #20
Dcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
That's funny! I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. It's impossible to make that bed with the night stands which really dont get used. I will most likely leave the headboard cubby for cell phone and wife's lotions etc. As far as weight. It's pretty minimal given the light weight material they use.
The dealership DID offer to get me some type of replacement but told me they’d never find the originals.

I’m very concerned with this nose thing more than anything. A thorough inspection is in order.

Tags
cougar, keystone