Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
hylasw

AGM batteries will they charge with factory setup

I have a 2012 High Country Cougar Fifth wheel and thinking about replacing batteries with better ones than the deep cycle lead acid batteries we want them to charge faster and last longer. I cannot afford lithium batteries.

Someone told me to look for a AGM 100ah deep cycle battery I found some at sams club https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...=plp_product_1

Will these work fine with my 2012 High Country Cougar Fifth wheel will they charge with current stock setup on my camper ?

Also is their any batteries you would suggest that are good price ?
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
bobbecky

Yes, AGM batteries are a type of lead acid batteries and will charge with the regular converters in these rigs. Gel and lithium batteries have different charging needs.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post
I have a 2012 High Country Cougar Fifth wheel and thinking about replacing batteries with better ones than the deep cycle lead acid batteries we want them to charge faster and last longer. I cannot afford lithium batteries.

Someone told me to look for a AGM 100ah deep cycle battery I found some at sams club https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...=plp_product_1

Will these work fine with my 2012 High Country Cougar Fifth wheel will they charge with current stock setup on my camper ?

Also is their any batteries you would suggest that are good price ?
What are your current batteries? 12v dual purpose marine? 2 6v golf cart? You have to know what you have to recommend a "step up" to the next level.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #4
hylasw

My current batteries are just plain lead acid 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries I bought at Costco Interstate brand. What would you suggest that is not to expensive but will last dry camping using a Renogy Solar suitcase 100 watt
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #5
Canonman

I'd recommend moving to the 6 volt golf cart batteries. About $90 each at Costco. Best bang for the buck in terms of power delivered. Our portable solar keeps them topped off quite nicely. IMHO a very reasonable alternative to the excessive price of lithium or AGM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8698.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	34214  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post
My current batteries are just plain lead acid 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries I bought at Costco Interstate brand. What would you suggest that is not to expensive but will last dry camping using a Renogy Solar suitcase 100 watt
A 100 watt solar charger is not much for dry camping. That 100 watt will not be anywhere near realized depending on latitude, angle of the solar panel to the sun, shadows from foliage, cloud cover and loss thru the controller and cables. Then you must consider the number of hours of direct sunlight that's hitting the solar panel. Most folks gry camping use 200 watts as a min. and many carry a generator as a backup for recharging the batteries.

It depends on what you desire to with the energy that's stored as what your needs will be. Your batteries if they have CCC or cold cranking amps written on them are not true deep cycle batteries. IMO the best way to start off is to change out the battery boxes if they won't accommodate golf cart batteries (they are taller) and replace the batteries with two 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series. They will give you the most "bang for the buck". There are many posts on the forum concerning this subject. Do a search and you will find plenty of reading material.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
Canonman

I would disagree slightly with Marshall. IMO a 100w solar panel would be a realistic minimum for keeping batteries topped off while dry camping. Full disclosure, I use a 200w kit because I found one used at a could not pass up price. So yes, I agree 200w is a good solution. Where the OP has a 100w kit already and would like a faster recharge rate I'd agree with Marshall that an upgrade to 200w of solar would definitely help in that regard.
It might be a good idea to see if the recharge rate is improved when the batteries are replaced. New batteries without any sulphacation issues or charging degradation might be enough to make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8774-HDR-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	34218  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote