Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
WNYfamily

Future Owners?

Hello everyone!....we are looking at a keystone to purchase new this coming spring. It will be our first TT. We have been tent camping for years, but now with kids and gear, a camper seems much eaiser. Because of our family make-up (two adults & two small kids) and features that we need...

1. Two bedrooms so the kids can go to sleep and have their own room, so we can enjoy the kitchen, sofa, tv, etc.

2. We want a real door on the master bedroom, not a curtin. I hate curtains! No privacy at all. For this kind of money, I want a bedroom door!

3. Two entry doors

4. Outside kitchen! A must!

...makes for a very limited selection!

After looking online at COUNTLESS tt websites for the past few months, most of the manufacturers dont even offer ANYTHING that has these features. It came down to the following of which I like Keystone the most but the Palomino a close second?:

Palomino Sabre Silhouette 310TBOK 34ft
Palomino Puma 30-KFB
(Dont know much about the Palomino's but seem very nice?)

Forest River Salem 36BHBS too long? 36ft!
Forest River v-Cross 830VBH too long? 37 ft!
Forest River Wildcat 35ft
(These seem not quite as nice?)

Dutchmen Aspen Trail 3010 BHDS 35'9" (Wood Construction?)

Keystone Cougar xlite 32RBK
(Seems very nice, fibreglass, polar package seems great)

I plow snow for extra fun money (2009 Chevy 2500HD with Reading Alum. Tool Body and a Stainless Fisher V-Plow and it will be the TV), so if we get a good winter!!!!

What ya guys think?
WNYfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
skifreak76

i have a 2012 sprinter 311bhs it has everything you want. it is great but is is 35ft long. i know alot of keystone travel trailers have similar layouts form springdale to sprinter and im sure others have it also.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

WNY family -
You mentioned that "the polar package seems great". At first glance, that would be a typical reaction. However, you are correct when you said "seems". It is, at best, an advertising gimmick to lead you to believe that this unit and other Keystone products with the same label ..."Arctic package" ,etc., will withstand frigid, cold temperatures. Much as been written on here about the infamous Polar aka Arctic packages.
Without going into all the details, you can do a forum search for yourself and find out what others, including myself, have to say about Keystone's claim.
Some members have made extensive modifications to their units to make them truly a Polar or Arctic package. You can read about their mods as well.
Having said that, the vast majority of Keystone owners here are satisfied with their RV's but this feature is not the reason why they feel that way.
I don't think I would be wrong in saying that it is nothing more than a sham.
I wouldn't buy a Keystone for this reason alone but there are many other good reasons why I would.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
WNYfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreak76 View Post
i have a 2012 sprinter 311bhs it has everything you want. it is great but is is 35ft long. i know alot of keystone travel trailers have similar layouts form springdale to sprinter and im sure others have it also.
Thanks skifreak, and what about the size. Is 35 feet and over going to be a problem at campgrounds? All the models we are looking at starting at 35 feet.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
WNYfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
WNY family -
You mentioned that "the polar package seems great". At first glance, that would be a typical reaction. However, you are correct when you said "seems". It is, at best, an advertising gimmick to lead you to believe that this unit and other Keystone products with the same label ..."Arctic package" ,etc., will withstand frigid, cold temperatures. Much as been written on here about the infamous Polar aka Arctic packages.
Without going into all the details, you can do a forum search for yourself and find out what others, including myself, have to say about Keystone's claim.
Some members have made extensive modifications to their units to make them truely a Polar or Arctic package. You can read about their mods as well.
Having said that, the vast majority of Keystone owners here are satisfied with their RV's but this feature is not the reason why they feel that way.
I don't think I would be wrong in saying that it is nothing more than a sham.
I wouldn't buy a Keystone for this reason alone.

Thanks festus. I have not been able to find much info about the polar package.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYfamily View Post
Thanks skifreak, and what about the size. Is 35 feet and over going to be a problem at campgrounds? All the models we are looking at starting at 35 feet.
That is going to depend on where you want to camp. We camp in NYS DEC campgrounds up here in the Adirondacks a lot, and many of their sites are limited to 20 or 30 foot maximum trailer length. We know that we have to reserve early to make sure there is room for our 36' fifth wheeler.

Many private campgrounds have some sites with similar limitations.

If you purchase a 35' unit, you will have to learn to think much differently about each and every camp site. With your tent, you could probably find more than adequate space on even the smallest campsites. Parking and maneuvering a 35' rig is a different game.

We had a 25' trailer for 11 years, and I am still learning the ropes on this 36 footer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post

If you purchase a 35' unit, you will have to learn to think much differently about each and every camp site. With your tent, you could probably find more than adequate space on even the smallest campsites. Parking and maneuvering a 35' rig is a different game.

We had a 25' trailer for 11 years, and I am still learning the ropes on this 36 footer.
No doubt I had a 24 motor home, then a 25 foot 5th wheel for a total of 10 years...
Had my 35 foot Passport out for the first time this weekend. That thing is no joke. I had a pull through site which isn't all it is cracked up to be with a 35 footer. I should have just gotten a back in spot. I do however find this easier to back up then the fifth wheel because it responds quicker to the truck turning. The spot I park at home is small and it was always chore getting the 5er in there. The new trailer I get in the same spot quick with no problems.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

HI WNY I agree with festus about the artic package. i have it on my unit. it's a pretty sticker and thats about it. i have the much the same requirements as you. 2 exits a bedroom door. you will do well with a keystone. i am not a big fan of wood construction, but i am a auto mechanic. everytime i try to weld wood i just get smoke and ash i have had montana's and they all wre very good.all had some issues but nothing bad!! as far as the length! well some parks do limit size but that has yet to affect us. been lucky i quess. your T>V> will sure get a work out. my first TV was 2000 doge td with a fisher plow and a manual trans. sure like the new one with an auto. good luck with the serch and have fun
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
ls1mike

What motor in your truck? I went with the Passport, it does have curtains which I did not think I would like, but the kids room has them too. Plenty of space so if you need "adult" time in the master it won't matter. It was fine for us and my 32 footer was light on the scales when loaded. Just under
7100 lbs loaded for 3 days with empty tanks.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
DEW

WNY Family
I have a Laredo 291 TG. It has a an outdoor kitchen, 2 bedrooms and has a real door in the master bedroom. Only thing I do not have is the 2 entry doors - but the 303TG does.
That is another option for you....
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote