Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Exposed Live Wires

The campground we're at had some meter head troubles and removed ours and we are just simply wired up with no meter reading for the time being. It's going to storm and the meter head is open and the main wire expose, should I place a bucket or something over this to protect it from water? It makes me very nervous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_130008.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	16304  
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
The campground we're at had some meter head troubles and removed ours and we are just simply wired up with no meter reading for the time being. It's going to storm and the meter head is open and the main wire expose, should I place a bucket or something over this to protect it from water? It makes me very nervous.
I would contact CG manager and remind them of the safety issue.
If they blow you off, tape a plastic bag around the meter receptacle.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
bobbecky

It is probably not energized. What most likely happened, is, they disconnected wires within the panel and moved them around to bypass the meter socket. The other end of the wire you can see is most likely not connected to anything at this time. If it gets wet from rain, nothing will happen, no sparks or flames. I would double check with the park, but as long as you have power, the wiring is making a complete circuit inside the panel.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
It is probably not energized. What most likely happened, is, they disconnected wires within the panel and moved them around to bypass the meter socket. The other end of the wire you can see is most likely not connected to anything at this time. If it gets wet from rain, nothing will happen, no sparks or flames. I would double check with the park, but as long as you have power, the wiring is making a complete circuit inside the panel.
We are the only ones at the campground. Every single other meter will have to be rewired as well. As for ours, we originally didn't have any power. Whoever installed them had wired them up wrong and a different electrician came out and worked on it. He rewired our meter, but when he flipped it back on at the box, it blew up like a car crash and flames shot out. It tripped 3 times, and after that is when he ran the bypass and removed the entire meter head. I love having power, but electrical issues just make me paranoid
Old 05-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
MarcS

Do you have an EMS? If so, I would think that would protect your RV. I think I'd put a bucket over it, if it were me.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Do you have an EMS? If so, I would think that would protect your RV. I think I'd put a bucket over it, if it were me.
Yes, I have one. It will protect me, but I wanted to make sure. I'm here alone and my tow vehicle is at work with my husband. If something happens and I need to move the camper, I can't.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
RoscoeV

He must have bypassed the meter, otherwise there is no way the circuit could be complete without the meter. I would still contact the CG manager and voice your concerns.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
travelin texans

I'd contact the CG & if they did nothing I'd put a bucket or bag over it. Even if those contacts aren't live the moisture running down the conduit on the bottom runs into live wires in the breaker panel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

He may have bypassed the meter head (must have or you would not have power). The issue I would have, after it took him multiple times to figure out what he was doing, is if he in fact disconnected the leads that would normally feed the meter. If not, and the storm comes in there won't be a lot of fire/flame outs etc., but if you decide to accidentally lean on the metal power ped in the rain because something went wrong outside they might have to come pry you off after you have been fried. I would insist the campground manager have someone, competent, to verify the leads in the meter base are disconnected.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
He may have bypassed the meter head (must have or you would not have power). The issue I would have, after it took him multiple times to figure out what he was doing, is if he in fact disconnected the leads that would normally feed the meter. If not, and the storm comes in there won't be a lot of fire/flame outs etc., but if you decide to accidentally lean on the metal power ped in the rain because something went wrong outside they might have to come pry you off after you have been fried. I would insist the campground manager have someone, competent, to verify the leads in the meter base are disconnected.
Agreed. I believe this electrician was confused by how badly the previous one had worked everything up wrong. Maybe not confused but more frustrated at the issues he was having to try to fix. I haven't heard back from them after leaving messages, so I will go and put a bucket over it. Being accidentally electrocuted isn't on my list of things to accomplish.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #11
rhagfo

Well sorry that one wire could be hot, BUT that meter base is seriously missed wired as it doesn’t have a neutral!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:14 AM   #12
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well sorry that one wire could be hot, BUT that meter base is seriously missed wired as it doesn’t have a neutral!
Great...I never heard back from the electrician, so I put a trash bag over it and tied it tight to keep it off the wire at all. Until they come to fix it.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
Pull Toy

Not on your Bucket List?

Since you don’t know for sure what is energized, I wouldn't touch anything. There was obviously a major malfunction at your site. If the campground won’t own it, I would involve the authorities. Don’t be a hero.

Good Luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Not on your Bucket List?

Since you don’t know for sure what is energized, I wouldn't touch anything. There was obviously a major malfunction at your site. If the campground won’t own it, I would involve the authorities. Don’t be a hero.

Good Luck,
No, I'm not trying to be a hero. And I would absolutely involve more people, like law, but it is 100% the only campground in the area and we need a spot for work. The owner is doing all he can, considering he's not an electrician. He's made phone calls and apologies and is doing all he can to right the wrong. It's more the power company or whoever now. And I believe the owner can get more done than I can when it comes to phone calls.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Just my thoughts, but I would get the bucket. A plastic bag will collapse in a heavy rain and force you to possibly get very close, too close, to an energized connector. It might even collapse to the inside of the base. As a small measure of protection wear rubber soled boots or rain boots when near it and don't touch 2 metallic items with both hands or body parts letting yourself become the path to ground. Better yet, just put a bucket over it and stay away from it. Sounds like you won't see any repair person for a couple of days at least. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just my thoughts, but I would get the bucket. A plastic bag will collapse in a heavy rain and force you to possibly get very close, too close, to an energized connector. It might even collapse to the inside of the base. As a small measure of protection wear rubber soled boots or rain boots when near it and don't touch 2 metallic items with both hands or body parts letting yourself become the path to ground. Better yet, just put a bucket over it and stay away from it. Sounds like you won't see any repair person for a couple of days at least. Good luck.
Yes, I imagine I won't see the repairs anytime soon. It's been raining since yesterday evening and will continue for a few days. I'll get a bucket, the one I had wasn't tall enough to cover the open face.