Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
rogeru

water pump issue

I just de-winterized our camper, and had the following problem: I filled the water tank about half way. When I turned on the pump, it continued to run, until I shut it off. So, the pump is running, yet no water is coming through the faucets. And, the pump won't shut off unless you shut down the switch. The city water went through fine, and I cleared all of the lines of winterizer, checked for leaks, and all was good. Any ideas? Thanks
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the pump "inlet" is not drawing water from the fresh water tank. Depending on how your trailer is plumbed, you may have a valve that is turned to draw antifreeze into the pump and that valve needs to be turned "back to the other position" to draw water from the FW tank. Or, you may have a separate fitting with a hose on it that you must install on the pump inlet to draw antifreeze and then reinstall the FW tank hose/fitting to draw from the tank. If that fitting is damaged or the O-ring is not sealing properly, air will be drawn into the pump and it can't create a vacuum to pull water from the tank.

So, check your valves if you have a "water system center" and check your fittings on the inlet side of the water pump if you have a "old fashioned" system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
rogeru

Thanks for the advice, John....I do have a bypass valve with short hose to draw the antifreeze when winterizing. I put that little hose into a cup of water, withe the valve turned down - nothing happened. Then I did the same thing with the valve turned the other way - still nothing. Do you think maybe a screen should be checked?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes check the screen and the housing. I’ve seen the housing crack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree. If you have a "screen and filter housing" between the FW tank and the pump, they sometimes crack with freezing, and if there was any water in the pump head and it froze, it may have cracked the head. If either happened, the pump won't draw water or pump water into the system. Check the screen and housing, possibly pull the pump and remove the pump head. There are 4 screws to take it off the motor. Pay attention to how it comes apart so you can put it back together without spare parts!!!!

Possibly you can identify the damage/cracked housing. You can buypass the filter/screen if you choose, but risk getting sawdust or plastic shavings into your pump and can damage the diaphragm. So, if you do remove the screen and housing, I'd replace it ASAP. If the pump head is damaged, you can buy a pump head for about $30 and sometimes hard to find locally, but a new pump is usually readily available and costs about $50- $75. If you've been thinking about upgrading your pump, this would be a time to consider the plunge. Or, you can just buy a replacement like the one that is damaged and it will be a "direct one for one exchange".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
rogeru

I'm going to go over and check it out today, (when it gets warmer!). Thanks very much for all the tips, too!
Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Steveo57

Did you have a faucet open when you were running the pump? It can't prime if there's no flow path open.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 AM   #8
rogeru

I gave it plenty of time to get primed, but I am going to utilize you guys tips
Old 03-31-2018, 05:36 AM   #9
Frank G

Do you have the Anderson Kantleak 4 way valve? If you do it may be the Issue. I've replaced mine twice. Simple to pull apart and check.

Remove the black knob
Remove the set screw, bottom of brass ring (its hidden)
Remove Brass Ring
Reinstall Black knob, twist and pull out

DO Not use petroleum products to reinstall.

Below is link to purchase repair kit
http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page188.html

Hope this helps
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
rogeru

Thank you, Frank G. Will check it out today!
Old 03-31-2018, 05:59 AM   #11
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeru View Post
I gave it plenty of time to get primed, but I am going to utilize you guys tips
I know it was a silly question but you never know. Hope you get it going with out too much trouble. I'm sure it's nothing that a few days of hard work and a few thousand bucks $$ can't fix! [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
rogeru

Just what we need.....someone who thinks he's a funny man. Gee, Steveo57....maybe you could be on Colbert's show.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
rogeru

Steveo57: I owe you an apology. I didn't see your first post, and only read your second one......thanks for trying to help me out. I'm sorry for the wise guy response.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
Lee

Hi,

I have had the same problem before.

For some reason the pump would not prime. I opened the valve that controls the short hose that is used for winterizing and poured water down it to fill the cavity in the pump. Then closed the valve and turned on the pump... Wa-Laa is worked.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:07 AM   #15
rs3678

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeru View Post
I just de-winterized our camper, and had the following problem: I filled the water tank about half way. When I turned on the pump, it continued to run, until I shut it off. So, the pump is running, yet no water is coming through the faucets. And, the pump won't shut off unless you shut down the switch. The city water went through fine, and I cleared all of the lines of winterizer, checked for leaks, and all was good. Any ideas? Thanks

Either the pump impeller is not working to pump the water or the pumped water is just going in circles inside the heater with nowhere to go due to valves still close or it has not pressurized the system yet. First, i would check for air coming out pf faucets. When the system pressurize first we get air and water follows. On that case just wait. If no air something is wrong. Double check valves while pump runs, if air starts to rush thru faucets go to number one. If that fails it could be the impeller. Pull the pump out and verify the impeller works and pumps water out. It sounds to me is not pressurizing. I would start by checking the pump first. Disconnect the pipe closest to the pump and look to see if it is pumping air. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs3678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump