Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
CrazyCain

Rain blown Leak??

Went up to the trailer this past weekend driving through a heavy rain/thunderstorm with wicked wind. Walked into the trailer to find just a bit of water on the nightstand just under the wall mounted A/C unit (Danby). No signs of water on the ceiling, walls, framing around the unit, no water at all on the unit anywhere.... NADA.....looked everywhere a leak could come in, even from somewhere else. Now, there is a shroud on the roof above the A/C unit, went up to the roof and best i can see the sealant around the it is in good shape. Hard to see well though and too cold out side to remove it for now. We have had alot of thawing snow this winter, rain and never had this happen. So i'm wondering if it is POSSIBLE that hard blowng rain can get inside that shroud somehow, but honestly, i have no idea what the shroud is for... Never dealt with these things....I pulled the frame around the cord off on the side of the unit tand could see the underneath of the shroud, screen and all..or possible from the back of the unit outside where the screen is.. In fact when we bought the rig in Oct last year, the first night we we were in it, it poured like the dickens, no leak anywhere..wish i wold have taken pictures...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I could be possible. Normally water always runs down. But, driving at 55 we are forcing water at high speed into areas from directions way different than falling rain. I would wait until some better weather and use the garden hose. Spray from the front across the roof and have someone inside watching for the leak. If no leaks after 5 mins. Spray the side area A/C and or windows. I would also keep checking the area where you found the water if it sits in the rain while not being used, just in case the leak continues now.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I could be possible. Normally water always runs down. But, driving at 55 we are forcing water at high speed into areas from directions way different than falling rain. I would wait until some better weather and use the garden hose. Spray from the front across the roof and have someone inside watching for the leak. If no leaks after 5 mins. Spray the side area A/C and or windows. I would also keep checking the area where you found the water if it sits in the rain while not being used, just in case the leak continues now.
In my haste to write this, i should have stated that the trailer was already up at the park in our spot, sorry about that.. However, the park got the same bad storm we drove through. I'm really starting to think that the rain may well have came through the side area of the A/C unit somehow..Makes a lot of sense what you wrote and will be doing exactly that when the weather starts to warm ]..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Found some water on the island counter top once ~~ when I checked it after Hurricane Matthew. Checked the roof and could find nothing. Took in to service and they checked and found nothing also. Had the roof cleaned (no water found) and sealed. A few months have passed and nothing. Had the roof checked a couple weeks ago and cleaned with a power washer, nothing again. So I'm with OP, wind can drive it ~~~

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Found some water on the island counter top once ~~ when I checked it after Hurricane Matthew. Checked the roof and could find nothing. Took in to service and they checked and found nothing also. Had the roof cleaned (no water found) and sealed. A few months have passed and nothing. Had the roof checked a couple weeks ago and cleaned with a power washer, nothing again. So I'm with OP, wind can drive it ~~~
Yep CaptnJohn, that's what im a thinking also..Just had a ton of rain fall and this past week up there, so we will see if there is evidence of water again. I put some padding down on the counter so i can see if it has had any water on it

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Had 2 good storms in FL and 1 in GA over the past 3 weeks and found no water as well. Wind blew hard but not hurricane hard. I never did find where it came in from so sealing the roof was a precaution. I checked then my neighbor checked every where for loose or missing caulk ~~ found 1 spot under the 5er nose. That was too low and well protected, besides only about 1 1/2". Matthew brought a lot of humidity and there is the possibility of more condensation then precautions could handle too.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Allesfam

I was told a story once about a mischievous individual that had poured a small glass of water on the floor of his fathers new shed. The old man spent hours on the roof and in the rafters trying to figure out where that water came from. Apparently some people get a kick out of doing things like that.
Allesfam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak