Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
jb238smw

Question Roof Vent Replacement

I'm looking for any insights on replacing the roof vents on a 2007 Outback. The ones on there now are (probably) the originals and the covers are cracking. Given the age of the TT, I'm thinking that replacing them (3 total, 2 plain and 1 w/fan) is probably the way to go, even though it's more expensive than just replacing the covers.
The vents appear to be attached with mental straps that are hammered to the inside framing. There seems to be a rubber/vinyl membrane that is between the vent flanges and the framing. Can't tell with there are any external screws on the roof, since the flanges are all covered with caulking. It looks like the first step will be to remove all the caulking and then take off the vent. Hopefully, the new vents will have installation instructions.
Anything in particular that I should look out for?
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The rubber/vinyl that you see is the roof membrane. Keystone covers the entire roof, them cuts an X over the vent location and pulls the roof membrane into the trailer, stapling it to the framework where the roof vent is installed. Usually there are no screws/staples/nails on the inside of the trailer to secure the roof vent. It is installed by dropping it into the hole, using screws to secure it through the roof membrane and into the plywood/OSB decking. Then the screws and vent flange are sealed with DICOR self leveling sealant. The inside vent shroud is then installed using 4 small screws in the corners. The plastic shroud hides the metal vent and provides a finished look for the installation.

Usually there is no need to replace the metal vent unless it's damaged. The plastic caps are available and are easily replaced from above. "Tearing into the sealant" and replacing the entire vent assembly can become a nightmare, especially if you cut or otherwise damage the roof membrane, so if you do decide to replace them, use extra care not to damage the roofing.

If you do replace the vent with the little 6" fan, you might want to consider upgrading to a more efficient fan. Many are available, usually Fantastic or Maxxair are the most popular. Most people who have the improved fan would recommend not replacing the little 6" vent but upgrade to the better vent fan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
slow

If you decide to replace the vents, this will help:

https://youtu.be/ZfeBaEazpBA
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
jb238smw

Thanks to you both for the help. Slow - the website was great because it also led me to a website on replacing the vent covers. Got the ones I needed at Camper World and was able to easily get them on. Saved a lot of time and aggravation, not to mention $$. Again, thanks for the help.
Jerry
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Tinner12002

Another thing to think about is to install vent covers on your vents while your on the roof...lets you leave vent lids open even when its raining.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Another thing to think about is to install vent covers on your vents while your on the roof...lets you leave vent lids open even when its raining.
That is an excellent recommendation. We full time, and a few years ago I installed vent covers on all ours, and through heavy rains, and up to 1 1/2 ft of snow, can still operate the vents, in addition to keeping the sun off of them which extends their life.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

I was going to suggest vent covers as well. I wish they were made to fit the skylight in the bathroom and living room .

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent