Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
tonys

Slideouts No Power

Never had this happen. I have DC power throughout the coach, have even plugged in the shoreline. Batteries test out at 99% full. Everything works except the two slideouts. Checked panel and the fuse is good. Used tester and 12 volt is good. When I hit the switches, nothing. Worked flawlessly when I last tested them about 2 months ago...and coach has not been moved. Baffled!

A} 2015 Sprinter 15th Anniversary Series M-300 KBS
B} 3-12 volt Battery Bank
C} Xantrex Freedom HFS Inverter/Charger 2000W, 120 VAC with 55A/12V Charger & Remote Panel
D} 2-100 Watt Solar Panels
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Canonman

By any chance do you have a remote that activates the slides?
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
tonys

No remote. Have 2 rocker switches...1 for each slide-out
Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Most electric slides will have an auto reset circuit breaker. They should be in he 12V distribution panel, and will be brass in color. The rating will be on the breaker. Although rare, they may have failed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
No remote. Have 2 rocker switches...1 for each slide-out
Good enough. We also have fuses for the slides on the remote distribution panel.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
tonys

Thanks Chuckster. It's something that is effecting both units. I know its possible, but rare if both breakers went bad. I'll be checking them next.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Up by the batteries there should be a couple (maybe 3 or 4) 30 amp DC circuit breakers. They have a habit, after 3 or 4 years of corroding and not making contact. Easy to replace, you can use a jumper cable to jumper across it to tap the slide switch to see if the circuit breaker is bad. They typically have a red rubber cover and look like this..... Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that's causing your problem.... Good Luck !!!
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When you figure it out, be sure to post an update. This will help someone else in the future! Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
tonys

The Saga Continues. Changed the 2 breakers up front as was suggested earlier. No change in the status...still not responding. Checked all fuses and they're good. Does anyone out there know if there is a electronic module somewhere that controls the 2 slideouts? If so, where is the most likely place to find it? This is on a 2014 Keystone Sprinter KBS-300, where the under-pinning covers everything. I can't even find where to crank them in manually.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Canonman

I think you have the cable type drive on your slides. If so, this video might help with using the manual override:

Just a question, did you purchase the Sprinter new?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
tonys

Thanks Canonman for your response. Unfortunately, mine does not have the cable system.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

It may be "fortunate" that you don't have the cable slide system. Both have their pros and both have some cons, so really, neither is good or bad, just different. With your particular problem, I wouldn't think it is the slide motors since BOTH of your slides are without power. It's not very often that two electric motors on two different systems will fail simultaneously. So, chances are the slide motors, rams and gears are OK.

Now, since you've checked the circuit breakers and fuses, the next is to determine if you have 12 volt power to the switches. Remove one of the switch plates and measure for 12VDC into the switch. Then activate the switch and measure for 12VDC out of the switch. If you have voltage to the switch, then the problem is from the switch to the motors. If you do NOT have voltage to the switch, then the problem is from the battery to the switch. Once you've determined which "half of the circuit" has the problem, you can then further isolate the problem.

Again, with TWO motors not working, I wouldn't think the problem is with the slides, but rather is with the power to both systems. My guess is that it's from the battery/converter (where power comes from a single place), not from the slide to the switch (where power is divided to each individual slide system)....

ADDED: I'm wondering if there is an "inline fuse" hidden in the wiring loom that goes from the battery/converter (unsure which one) to the switch panel. The landing gear wiring loom on almost every fifth wheel with electric power has a 30 amp "inline fuse" tucked away over the front door of the storage compartment. It's typically "overhead" where the wiring loom goes across the fifth wheel, just above the storage compartment door. I wonder if you may have a "inline fuse" in a wiring loom somewhere before or just after those 30 amp 12 volt circuit breakers ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
tonys

Thanks JRTJH:
I just returned from working on the problem. Yes, I did check power to the switches...nada! I am leaning the same way you are...either an inline fuse, or something happened to the wiring between the 12volt panel and the switches. Has to be a power issue beings that both are affected. I hand cranked both slides in today, where they will remain until Spring here in the midwest. Nothing worse than trying to work on a coach in the elements here in the winter. Until then, I'll be designing the solar system for my shed.

Tags
power, slide, slideout