Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Hellac

Winterizing a Cougar 327rlk

Hi all, I have a cougar 327rlk 5th wheel. I have located my water pump in the large pass through storage area, it is behind the large panel to have access. Roughly half way into the storage area. Not a ideal location. I couldn't find an access in the living area above it. It is going to be difficult to crawl in there to access it.

Was just hoping that the 327rlk had some means of adding the antifreeze other than connecting the siphon hose directly to the water pump. Maybe I missed a access area above for better access. Any 327rlk owners have any insight for me?

Was disappointed that NO info came with the RV on winterizing. Seems that would be a must have.

Thanks.
Hellac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellac View Post
Hi all, I have a cougar 327rlk 5th wheel. I have located my water pump in the large pass through storage area, it is behind the large panel to have access. Roughly half way into the storage area. Not a ideal location. I couldn't find an access in the living area above it. It is going to be difficult to crawl in there to access it.

Was just hoping that the 327rlk had some means of adding the antifreeze other than connecting the siphon hose directly to the water pump. Maybe I missed a access area above for better access. Any 327rlk owners have any insight for me?

Was disappointed that NO info came with the RV on winterizing. Seems that would be a must have.

Thanks.
Did you purchase this unit from a dealer and is it new or used?

If you bought from a dealer, they should have given you a thorough walk-through of the trailer and explained and demonstrated all of the onboard systems including winterizing ports, etc.

I would also point out that the unit should have come with Keystone's standard manual which includes full winterizing instructions. Someone just posted a link to it today in another thread on winterizing, but it is easily found on Keystone's web site.

Some of the newer units have a winterizing valve and connection right in the convenience center where the city water and black tank flush connections are located.

If there is no winterizing connection, I'd suggest that you purchase a winterizing kit, and go through whatever contortions are necessary to install it on the pump. After that, it's reach in, flip the valve, stick the suction hose in a jug of antifreeze and run the pump.

FWIW, we've offered this same advice to dozens of folks who came before you and essentially asked the same question. Full winterizing instructions are available in any number of threads here, and many of them have helpful advice on various ways of winterizing from experienced folks. And there's plenty of how-to's in there, too.

My Cougar's water pump is buried behind a panel which is behind the water hookup area and further in under the floor above. It did not come with a winterizing kit installed so I purchased one, and installed it. Now winterizing is much easier. Yes, it's still a bit of a long reach back to the valve, but is is not particularly difficult.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Hellac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Did you purchase this unit from a dealer and is it new or used?

If you bought from a dealer, they should have given you a thorough walk-through of the trailer and explained and demonstrated all of the onboard systems including winterizing ports, etc.

I would also point out that the unit should have come with Keystone's standard manual which includes full winterizing instructions. Someone just posted a link to it today in another thread on winterizing, but it is easily found on Keystone's web site.

Some of the newer units have a winterizing valve and connection right in the convenience center where the city water and black tank flush connections are located.

If there is no winterizing connection, I'd suggest that you purchase a winterizing kit, and go through whatever contortions are necessary to install it on the pump. After that, it's reach in, flip the valve, stick the suction hose in a jug of antifreeze and run the pump.

FWIW, we've offered this same advice to dozens of folks who came before you and essentially asked the same question. Full winterizing instructions are available in any number of threads here, and many of them have helpful advice on various ways of winterizing from experienced folks. And there's plenty of how-to's in there, too.

My Cougar's water pump is buried behind a panel which is behind the water hookup area and further in under the floor above. It did not come with a winterizing kit installed so I purchased one, and installed it. Now winterizing is much easier. Yes, it's still a bit of a long reach back to the valve, but is is not particularly difficult.
Bought it new from dealer. I don't recall them going over winterizing at all during check-out. I didn't even think of it at the time.

This unit does not have any winterizing valve or connection in the convenience center only the city water and a flushing cleaning connection to use during clean-out.

So I will have to get winterizing kit like you suggested.

Thanks for your help.
Hellac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Locate your water pump first, it may have the valve/hose on it already.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
thetanman1957

We have the same unit and it did not come with the kit or any directions in the manual. I just had the dealer winterize my initial time. The pump is in a location that can be a little tough to access. Because of the setup, the guy set me up with a tube and connector to use. I will use the blue clip on the pump to remove the supply line and attach the line for insertion to draw from the antifreeze jug.
thetanman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
fess64

Winterizing a 2018 Cougar 327RES

Our dealer had no clue on how to winterize our new Cougar other than blowing it out with air, since there was no set up for running antifreeze through it. They didn't even know where the pump was located. I solved that problem by taking the 4 ft. wall panel out of the main pass-thru storage compartment and accessing the pump. Bought a winterizing kit, 6 ft of 1/2 inch plastic hose and 2 hose adapters and hooked it up so as to be close to the water heater by-pass. Took off the original fresh water suction hose from the pump and replaced it with the new 1/2 inch hose. Then ran the new hose from the suction side of the pump to the output side of the new 3 way valve. Then took the original hose from the fresh water tank and hooked it up to the input side of the 3 way valve. Replaced main panel and now have both my winterizing valve and water heater by-pass valve right together behind the 2 foot access panel behind the console. Took about a 1/2 hour. All I have to do now to winterize, is take the small 2 foot panel off (2 screws) and have access to both the wtr. htr. by-pass and winterizer valve.
fess64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, winter, winterizing