Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Jabber2Jake

Roof cleaning / treating is a waste of time and money

Nobody read my previous post on washing and coating the roof with expensive products like Aerospace 303, etc.
It's a waste of money. The EPDM roof will last for decades, 40+ years. It never needs washing or coating.
Only maintenance required is to check seams and caulking to prevent leaks.

Read this:
http://www.epdmroofs.org/what-is-epd...eral-questions

Who do you believe?
This is from the EPDM Roofing Association!
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
larry337

I won't agree or disagree without reading the link, but my first thought is the dirt on the roof eventually makes it's way to the sides so I'll continue cleaning it regardless. Though I've always questioned whether it actually extends the life of the roof. I'll keep cleaning it just cuz its dirty, that's reason enough for me.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Seabee

I believe the answer to question #8 is pretty much saying to wash it.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
440justin

+1 on washing it when I wash the rest of the trailer. Why wash the sides and leave all the dirt on the roof? All that will end up on the side of the trailer in the next rain event. Now for coating with something lime 303.... That is just crazy in my book. I work in the building industry and I can tell you for a fact that no building owner with a EDPM roof is using a product on the roof. Just think what that would cost you if you had 50,000+ sq.ft. of roof area!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

I didn't realize it's the same stuff used on commercial roofs. That definitely gives me a better feel for how durable it is. I'll still give a rinse and wash with Dawn periodically, though.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Jabber2Jake

Gonna wash it?

Justin can wash if he desires, won't hurt, but in my case, I don't have a problem with chalk lines on sides.
Glad Justin knows his stuff. No coating or treatment is necessary. And clearly, answer to question 8 on the
above link does NOT say to wash. It says to remove debris and leaves.
A broom will accomplish this, if you are parked under a tree for weeks...

question 8. Does EPDM require systematic maintenance or additional coatings or treatment to achieve its life expectancy?

Answer: (from EPDM Roofing Assoc. see link above)
No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required.
General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves,
and to investigate the performance of other components.

So, from the answer, remove debris, leaves and check seams and caulking. But, most 5ers have sloped roofs and
shed leaves and debris while driving. So, actually, you don't have to do anything to it except check seams periodically.

It's that simple. You don't have to kill yourself.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
Nobody read my previous post on washing and coating the roof with expensive products like Aerospace 303, etc.
It's a waste of money. The EPDM roof will last for decades, 40+ years. It never needs washing or coating.
Only maintenance required is to check seams and caulking to prevent leaks.

Read this:
http://www.epdmroofs.org/what-is-epd...eral-questions

Who do you believe?
This is from the EPDM Roofing Association!
One SIGNIFICANT problem with your "advice" is that EPDM roofing material is no longer being used on THE MAJORITY OF Keystone RV's. The "new and improved" material is TPO. It's a different breed and isn't anything like EPDM with the exception of where it's used. I wouldn't advise using EPDM maintenance requirements to maintain a TPO roof any more than I'd advise cleaning rabbits the same way as cleaning fish.

Your link has some "good information" to supplement (not replace) the DICOR maintenance instructions, but all of that pretty much applies to Keystone RV's that were manufactured before 2010 (or around that time).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Seabee

In regards to EPDM roofs on RV's the "investigate the performance of other components" would in my mind refer to all those seems up there. Well, to maintain those seems properly, they need to be clean. Shouldn't those seems be clean for a proper inspection? Additionally, those seems need to be clean to properly reseal correct? That cleaning will require some kind of washing which is nothing more than "good housekeeping".

Out of sheer curiosity, is the EPDM Roofing Association involved in the RV industry? I didn't notice that any of the EPDM Roofing Association members as being part of the RV industry.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I won't agree or disagree without reading the link, but my first thought is the dirt on the roof eventually makes it's way to the sides so I'll continue cleaning it regardless. Though I've always questioned whether it actually extends the life of the roof. I'll keep cleaning it just cuz its dirty, that's reason enough for me.
Same here. I don't like all that black crud running down the sides of the trailer.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Steve S

Do you not wash your car and not expect it to not rust or have paint damage?
Cleaning your roof and all the spots that'll collect crap is preventive maintenance in my mind.
I think that any preventive maintenance on the inside and outside will save a person some cash and headaches in the long run.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
bobbecky

Not wanting to create an argument, but the statement that the industry does not use EPDM rubber roofs anymore may not be quite accurate. I have a 2012 Montana, and from the characteristics of the roof membrane, it is a EPDM roof. I did a little research and came across this article, and it describes a TPO roof as being glossy and does not chalk, which does not describe what I have. This is the article that tells how to determine the roof material: http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/02...but-what-type/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #12
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One SIGNIFICANT problem with your "advice" is that EPDM roofing material is no longer being used on Keystone RV's. The "new and improved" material is TPO......
I have to say that after spending some time recently on the roof of our 2014 Montana High Country, I'm not convinced that the roof covering isn't EPDM or a least a close relative. I came away with a white chalky substance on my black sneakers, jeans and some on my hands. I did a full roof wash down last fall but didn't see the white stuff deposited on the driveway as I had on the last two trailers though. I had out of curiosity spent some time in the past looking at the Keystone web site and again today .... and that 'factoid' of roof covering information is conspicuously missing (leaving it open to whatever was the least expensive at the time of manufacture).

I would be happy if RV builders would return to an aluminum roof. Easy to keep sealed, maintained and even repaired. But of course, it wouldn't be the newest, greatest(?) and 'best' for us in the masses.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #13
jsmith948

To me, washing your RV without washing the roof is like washing your car and not cleaning the wheels and tires. Takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to wash and treat the roof on our little 32ft 5er. Besides, as an additional benefit, having the roof clean makes me feel good.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
One SIGNIFICANT problem with your "advice" is that EPDM roofing material is no longer being used on THE MAJORITY OF Keystone RV's. ...
Your link has some "good information" to supplement (not replace) the DICOR maintenance instructions, but all of that pretty much applies to Keystone RV's that were manufactured before 2010 (or around that time).....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
...I have a 2012 Montana, and from the characteristics of the roof membrane, it is a EPDM roof...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I have to say that after spending some time recently on the roof of our 2014 Montana High Country, I'm not convinced that the roof covering isn't EPDM or a least a close relative....
I.
I don't think your comments are argumentative at all. I did some checking this morning and it does appear that Keystone's Montana brochure for 2015 still lists the EPDM roofing membrane as a "feature". With that said, I have edited my previous post (in red).

The point remains that Keystone uses TPO roofing membrane on the majority of its RV's. To rely on the EPDM Roofing Association (who doesn't appear to have any RV representation in their panel of experts) for all maintenance requirements while ignoring the Keystone Owner's Manual and the manufacturer of the specific product (EPDM or TPO) that is installed on our specific RV is not sound advice.

Having both EPDM and TPO roofing material on Keystone products makes it more compelling that the owner inspect his roof, not only for sealant damage, but also to determine the type of material which will require a different sealant system depending on what kind of roofing is installed.

The easiest "test" to determine if your roof is EPDM or TPO is to remove a roof vent shroud on the INSIDE of your RV. You'll find the roofing membrane has been cut and folded back against the vent opening. If the roofing membrane is black with a "colored surface" then it is EPDM. If the roofing membrane is a solid color (same on top and bottom) then it is a TPO roofing product. If there is a felt backing that obscures the base membrane, it's TPO.

I hope this helps more than confuses owners of Keystone RV's. The Owner's Manual is clear in this statement: "Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of silicone product on the rubber roof material."

This statement by Keystone applies to both EPDM and TPO roofing membranes. To rely on the "EPDM industry council" as an excuse not to maintain and clean your roofing membrane is not a good maintenance practice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Having both EPDM and TPO roofing material on Keystone products makes it more compelling that the owner inspect his roof, not only for sealant damage, but also to determine the type of material which will require a different sealant system depending on what kind of roofing is installed.
When all said and done - I really don't care which roof material our 5er has as long as it 'survives' the entire period of time we own it with an occasional wash down and seal of the penetrations. This is why I was recently on the roof. Also to measure the shower skylight for replacement as it has a stress crack across a corner from poor manufacturer installation (it's well sealed with Dicor for now).
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
When all said and done - I really don't care which roof material our 5er has as long as it 'survives' the entire period of time we own it with an occasional wash down and seal of the penetrations. This is why I was recently on the roof. Also to measure the shower skylight for replacement as it has a stress crack across a corner from poor manufacturer installation (it's well sealed with Dicor for now).
As long as you're satisfied with your Montana, that's what's important. How you maintain it is entirely up to you. Here's hoping it will "survive" the entire period of time you own it.... Enjoy the summer, it seems to have finally arrived.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
Jabber2Jake

My roof is EPDM

2010 Keystone Cougar, 292RKS
Roof is EPDM
Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #18
jaitken0016

I wash the top to try and prevent most of the dirt from running down the sides and creating the big black streaks.
jaitken0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #19
dave-g

I wash mine when ever washing the trailer. But I do not coat it with 303 or other product. Most say they last 30-90 day.

I believe the only way to inspect your roof is to wash it, and give it a good look over. In the spring I get down and scrub by hand to take a good look. The remainder of the year I use a long soft broom.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #20
Campy

The only reason to coat a modern roof with 303 or such is to keep "gunk" from sticking to it. (like tree sap if you camp in Wisconsin, oh my god it was everywhere!)