Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
byrdr1

Thanks to Chuckster57 !!

I want to thank Chuckster57 on this forum.
I had an issue that I created back last Halloween on a camping trip.
I knew I had to fix it and I asked chuckster57 in a private message about it.
He is an RV tech and I knew he would lead me in the right direction.
HE did not let me down. HE was very forthcoming about the information and the situation. He lead me down the path to the repair.
Without his knowledge, experience, and information, I was dead in the water so to speak. problem fixed as far As I can tell. Have to test it in a real-life situation first to say all complete but based on the information I have today it's fixed.
I want to thank him for his behind the scenes info on this matter and Thanks to all the moderators and what they do to help us on this forum.
Chuckster57 THANKS!!!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
heiserk0410

Atta boy Chuckster57!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Thank you very much!!

It has been a pleasure to be a member here, and an honor to be asked to be a moderator.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Tbos

I express my thanks to Chuckster57 and all the rest that willing share their knowledge with us on this forum. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I express my thanks to Chuckster57 and all the rest that willing share their knowledge with us on this forum. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here Here

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
xrated

Well, I was going to start a thread about Chuckster57, but since this one is already going, I'll just add to it. He has been helping me and answering some questions and offering advice about a fuel system issue that I'm having with my new T.H. Once the issue is resolved, I will post up about what happened, and how we got to the bottom of it and the final solution. Thank you again Chuckster!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Is that from the southern California sun, or is Chuck blushing???
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I be blushing, don't live in So Cal.

I don't know how to say thank you enough. IMO being a member of a forum means your committed to sharing as much information as you can, and in turn learning as much new information as you can. It has truly been a pleasurable journey to date, and I would welcome the opportunity to share stories by a campfire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I want to thank Chuckster57 on this forum.
I had an issue that I created back last Halloween on a camping trip.
I knew I had to fix it and I asked chuckster57 in a private message about it.
He is an RV tech and I knew he would lead me in the right direction.
HE did not let me down. HE was very forthcoming about the information and the situation. He lead me down the path to the repair.
Without his knowledge, experience, and information, I was dead in the water so to speak. problem fixed as far As I can tell. Have to test it in a real-life situation first to say all complete but based on the information I have today it's fixed.
I want to thank him for his behind the scenes info on this matter and Thanks to all the moderators and what they do to help us on this forum.
Chuckster57 THANKS!!!
randy
Wanted to update this thread, I see it kinda died down.
Again THANKS TO CHUCKSTER57.
I am going to expand on my mistake:
First its not my first major thing that has happened, but it was at least second worst thing compared to the other dumb headed things I have done since I started camping.
First off this started last Halloween weekend 2016, after a great long weekend camping with family and friends.
I was cleaning the black tank system using the onboard hook ups.
I have used these every trip and never had a problem. this trip I got side tracked while having the valve closed. I do this for several minutes to get a lot of water into the black tank. then pull the handle and let dump, several times until I get a clean tank. WELL for whatever reason I walked off nd started doing something else and forgot what I was doing. and it wasn't until I had the water(not just the water either) flooding the campsite that I realized what was happening. CRAP Iw as thinking and it was running out too.
A big miss was made lucky I was going to move the camper and I did and cleaned up the campsite with some bleach and lots of water.
Fast forward to the next trip and few more, I had a leak now and just had to dump the black tank like every day to keep the leak from happening. What was the issue? I finally got around to cutting and pulling down the roto plastic underside. and rolling out from under the camper.
The issue was where the black ABS dump valve pipe fits into the black ABS fitting that is plastic welded into the tank. and I had a 1/2" split on the tank as well coming from the welded looking joint.
This is where I asked CHUCKSTER what do I do? he advised me on some fixes he had used and I bought a cheap plastic welder and plastic welded the split and the seams with ABS fill in-rods. and the final move was adding ABS cement. I added the cement ever day for like 2 weeks. the seam was filled in very tight with the plastic weld job but for added safety, the ABS cement was coated and coated. These 90 plus degree days helped with the curing process. SO after 2 weeks fo applying cement and with my camper jacked up as high as I could get I crawled under it each day after I got home from work and added a little or as much as would stay with our running down on the ground or onto my redneck creeper. yesterday after a few days of no doing this I made one last crawl under the camper and put the roto plastic back up and out all the screws back into the frame and cross members. I only have to seal the cut seams wth Gorilla tape for an air tight fit. The repair looks good and solid after testing it for several days NO leaks.
Chuckster's guidance helped me get over the DUHH moment I had.
so that's the scoop and/or the poop problem fixed.. OH yeah the wiring and stuff under the camper was a mess I did use wire ties and rearranged a lot of that to make it look nice not that anyone would ever see it.
So thanks and be careful with the self-cleaning features or black tank cleaners on your campers. DONT walk away. EVER>>
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Wanted to update this thread, I see it kinda died down.
Again THANKS TO CHECKSTER57.
I am going to expand on my mistake:
First its not my first major thing that has happened, but it was at least second worst thing compared to the other dumb headed things i have done since i started camping.
First off this started last Halloween weekend 2016, after a great long weekend camping with family and friends.
I was cleaning the black tank system using the onboard hook ups.
I have used these every trip and never had a problem. this trip I got side tracked while having the valve closed. I do this for several minutes to get a lot of water into the black tank. then pull the handle and let dump, several times until i get a clean tank. WELL for whatever reason i walked off nd started doing something else and forgot what i was doing. and it wasnt until I had the water(not just the water either) flooding the campsite that i realized what was happening. CRAP Iw as thinking and it was running out too..
A big miss was made lucky I was going to move the camper and i did and cleaned up the campsite with some bleach and lots of water.
Fast forward to the next trip and few more, I had a leak now and just had to dump the black tank like every day to keep the leak from happening. WHAt was the issue? I finally got around to cutting and pulling down the rotoplastic underside. and rolling out from under the camper.
The issue was where the black ABS dump valve pipe fits into the black ABS fitting that is plastic welded into the tank. and I had a 1/2" split on the tank as well coming from the welded looking joint.
This is where i asked CHUCKSTER what do I do? he advised me on some fixes he had used and I bought a cheap plastic welder and plastic welded the split and the seams with ABS fill in-rods. and the final move was adding ABS cement. I added the cement ever day for like 2 weeks. the seam was filled in very tight with the plastic weld job but for added safety, the ABS cement was coated and coated. These 90 plus degree days helped with the curing process. SO after 2 weeks fo applying cement and with my camper jacked up as high as I could get I crawled under it each day after I got home from work and added a little or as much as would stay with our running down on the ground or onto my redneck creeper. yesterday after a few days of no doing this I made one last crawl under the camper and put the roto plastic back up and out all the screws back into the frame and cross members. I only have to seal the cut seams wth Gorilla tape for an air tight fit. The repair looks good and solid after testing it for several days NO leaks.
Chuckster's guidance helped me get over the DUHH moment I had.
so that's the scoop and/or the poop problem fixed.. OH yeah the wiring and stuff under the camper is a mess I did use wire ties and rearranged a lot of that to make it look nice not that anyone would ever see it.
So thanks and be careful with the self-cleaning features or black tank cleaners on your campers. DONT walk away.. EVER>>
randy
The knowledge on these forums is invaluable.

Have to ask, about how long did it take for the tank to fill. I know there are several variables, I tend to fill flush about 5 minutes or so a few times. Just curious how long it took for it to overfill.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
byrdr1

Kfxgreenie, I really don't know that answer. I was standing there a few minutes and walked away. I do that sometimes but pull the handle, this time I just walked away. Oh it was a mess.. I was so upset with myself.. Bone headed move for sure...
Made the ride home very quiet...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #12
byrdr1

Real life:
Black tank fix worked for the last 5 nights camping.
On the other hand.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #13
byrdr1

On the other hand:

coming home.. Just had bearings repacked in march..
Waiting mode now..

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
kfxgreenie

Ouch!
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Ouch!! Any idea what happened?

Old 08-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #16
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Ouch!! Any idea what happened?
Wheel bearing failure. 64mph. Wheel missed all traffic and came to rest couple hundred yards behind me in the medium.
Limped it about 50 miles to an rv shop.
New axle ordered already, waiting on insurance claim and adjuster now.
45mph in a 70mph zone. Rearend was tight the whole way. [emoji16]

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 05-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Blucaddy71

Ok, now I know I have another brother with my same genes in this world!!!! Tried to do same fill/flush/fill/flush but used a weight to hold open the foot valve on the toilet to not build pressure in black tank; got side-tracked while filling from black tank flush connection; walked under front end near pin box to find "water and stuff" running out of and dripping from cross-over storage compartment; pulled dump valve and proceeded to look around to see if anyone else was seeing the "water and stuff" leaking out of the coach; used every towel in the bathroom to clean up the mess!!!!!
"Never Walk Away-----EVER!!!!!"