Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
CrazyCain

corner sealant on roof

After this weekends trip, i checked on the roof as i always so and noticed a few spot on the corner molding that i do not like, you can seee some cracking in it... Question, what type of sealant is this black stff and can i use Black EternalBond to patch or do i have to get some Dicor Blk lap sealant??????

Here are a few pics..

Thanks all

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_183833 (1).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	14129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_183812.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	14130  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It looks like some poorly applied ProFlex sealant. DO NOT use eternabond tape, the screw cover needs to stay removable. Get some more sealant and cover the gaps, and if needed cover the end of the screw cover (plastic insert).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It looks like some poorly applied ProFlex sealant. DO NOT use eternabond tape, the screw cover needs to stay removable. Get some more sealant and cover the gaps, and if needed cover the end of the screw cover (plastic insert).
Awesome.. Is the ProFex sef leveling or just blob it on..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

DICOR has self leveling and non self leveling sealant that is approved for EPDM and TPO roofing membrane application. They just came out with black as well as white, tan and gray. You should be able to get it al almost any RV parts store. I'd recommend using PRO FLEX or DICOR rather than buying an "off product" from Lowe's or Home Depot. Most of the products sold there have a large amount of petroleum distillate in them and with some products, it doesn't all evaporate. That can cause damage to the membrane. NOTE: For some reason PRO FLEX seems hard to find in Michigan. DICOR is a suitable alternative material.

If I were you, looking at the pictures you posted, I'd buy a tube of DICOR self leveling white and a tube of DICOR non-self leveling black. Use the black on all the vertical surfaces and use the white on the horizontal surfaces. Overlap the old sealant so your "new bead' covers the old and also lays in contact with the roof membrane. That way you'll have adhesion (and a waterproof seal) at the new edges of the sealant.

On the edge of the black screwcover vinyl, I see the screw exposed. I'd "glob on a blob" of black sealant to completely cover that screw and the vinyl where it's stretched. If you do ever need to remove that screw, it's easy to 'dig it out of the lap sealant".....

Here's the link to the product info and tube product numbers for DICOR: https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...ealants/#specs

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I didn't know Dicor came in black, going to look into that in the morning. Thanks for the info.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
DICOR has self leveling and non self leveling sealant that is approved for EPDM and TPO roofing membrane application. They just came out with black as well as white, tan and gray. You should be able to get it al almost any RV parts store. I'd recommend using PRO FLEX or DICOR rather than buying an "off product" from Lowe's or Home Depot. Most of the products sold there have a large amount of petroleum distillate in them and with some products, it doesn't all evaporate. That can cause damage to the membrane. NOTE: For some reason PRO FLEX seems hard to find in Michigan. DICOR is a suitable alternative material.

If I were you, looking at the pictures you posted, I'd buy a tube of DICOR self leveling white and a tube of DICOR non-self leveling black. Use the black on all the vertical surfaces and use the white on the horizontal surfaces. Overlap the old sealant so your "new bead' covers the old and also lays in contact with the roof membrane. That way you'll have adhesion (and a waterproof seal) at the new edges of the sealant.

On the edge of the black screwcover vinyl, I see the screw exposed. I'd "glob on a blob" of black sealant to completely cover that screw and the vinyl where it's stretched. If you do ever need to remove that screw, it's easy to 'dig it out of the lap sealant".....

Here's the link to the product info and tube product numbers for DICOR: https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...ealants/#specs

Just ordered some Dicor Black non leveling, already have white self leveling here at the house. Can the two inter-mingle with each other a bit????

So what is the shelf life on the Dicor stuff anyway, I have one open tube of the white, covered with Aluminum foil, probably been 2 months now..??

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Just ordered some Dicor Black non leveling, already have white self leveling here at the house. Can the two inter-mingle with each other a bit????

So what is the shelf life on the Dicor stuff anyway, I have one open tube of the white, covered with Aluminum foil, probably been 2 months now..??
I see no reason that the two different Dicor products should not contact each other. The only issue I would expect is doing it neatly if it will be visible from the ground.

I have a tube of the same stuff in the trailer left over from early in the season. There may be a plug of cured stuff in the nozzle, but if I remove that, the stuff still in the tube will likely be usable. I would not try to make it last until next year.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

You should see the collection of opened tubes of Dicor I have. May have to squeeze the dried stuff out, but it's all good after that. I use blue painters tape to seal (HaHa) the ends.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
CrazyCain

Well, finally got a chance to go to the yard and reseal the corners with the Blk Dicor non leveling stuff, With 90 degree temps, intense brilliant, mean, hot sun beating down on me and the Dicor like there was no tomorrow, it helped to set the sealant pretty dang fast..made quick work of it because i knew the adult beverages were waiting for me back home..thanks for all the advice..

:

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal!! And I had the Parts guy order some black Dicor in both self leveling and non. Looks like we both got it covered. I am sipping an adult beverage as I type this!!

Tags
roof