Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

OK let's move in the reverse direction. 13% is a good "target" number for tongue weight. Take the "payload" number from the driver side door.
1. subtract 150 from payload for the WD hitch
2. subtract the weight of all occupants including pets from the above results
3. subtract the weight of everything else that you put in the truck that the factory didn't put there like floor mats, GPS, brake controller, bikes in the bed, food, tools, etc.
4. the resulting number from line 3 will be the "remaining payload" or "available payload" for the tongue weight of a trailer.
5. take the number from #4 and call it x and the weight of the trailer will be y in the following equation : X times 100 Divided by 13 =y so let's say you have 200 lbs "available payload. 200 times 100 divided by 13 = 1,538.

I hope this helps. I think if you load up your truck like you would to go on a camping trip and stop at a CAT scale. Subtract that "actual" curb weight from you're GVWR and you will be surprised at how little payload will be left.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #62
Tetons

This has been an eye opener! With all the half-tons that I see pulling travel trailers; it now seems to me that most are probably over capacity?
Tetons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #63
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetons View Post
This has been an eye opener! With all the half-tons that I see pulling travel trailers; it now seems to me that most are probably over capacity?
Yep. That's what has been said on this Forum for a long time.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #64
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:

And it’s not limited to 1/2 ton vehicles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #65
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And it’s not limited to 1/2 ton vehicles.
Tetons, to elaborate on Chuck's comment, we also seen tons of 3/4 ton diesel trucks that are significantly overloaded with 5ers, mainly because 3/4 ton diesels don't have nearly enough payload to handle what people tend to think a diesel truck "should" be able to handle.

For example, the guy in this video:

was overloaded towing a 9200 lb GWVR travel trailer with his 3/4 ton diesel! You can imagine how overloaded someone towing an even larger 5er (more pin weight) would be.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

You mentioned "cart before the horse" previously and so many do that. The problem is multi faceted; if one has never had a "truck" or pulled an RV, a "truck" is a "truck" and it's big and supposed to haul/tow big things. The manufacturers play on that by publishing unrealistic numbers based on non existent vehicles (maybe one) to impress the uninformed buyer. So, they buy that "truck"...lots bigger than the DW's Kia right?? Should "pull the Titanic" according to the salesman. That's all wrong and puts folks in a bind.

As far as all 1/2 tons being over capacity...not really. Lots are. 1/2 tons come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. They are made as a grocery getter generically with the capability to haul/tow lighter stuff. Now, some are being made with some decent payload numbers (2000+) that allow them to tow a larger trailer than the normal 1/2 ton. So nowadays that "1/2 ton" could have a payload of 1100 lbs. or 2100 lbs. - worlds of difference. Those designed for towing have special packages and equipment and have to be searched out generally. By and large the normal 1/2 ton is built to give the buyer a nice soft ride, comfortable, modern interior and all the amenities of your living room....at a cost. It was meant for you to throw in a few sheets of plywood or sheetrock; maybe a dozen 2x4s....not throw on a 7000 lb., slab sided trailer with all the accompanying stresses that places on the vehicles suspension.

I too see them running overloaded every day. Saw 3 today. One was one of the older Tundras; maybe a 25' trailer; bed dropped drastically; obvious overload and probably worn out suspension...and with a wdh/sway on it. You wouldn't see me driving it but they seemed to be doing OK with the driver hunched way up to see over the steering wheel so he could see the highway...

Researching the combo first, before purchasing either product is a good, and right way to enter the RV towing world. However, it is a lesson hard learned by many.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #67
James p

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishMT View Post
Hi all, New member here. I asked this question on the Jayco forums a while back; I'm shopping a Jayco 242BHS, a Keystone Springdale 240BHS, and a Keystone Hideout 24BHSWE.

I have a 1/2 ton 2016 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L engine, 4.30 gearing.

The payload on my door jamb says 1300 pounds.

Looks like the hitch weight of the Springdale is 690 pounds, and the hideout 720 pounds. (The jayco was 685).

I have E-Rated 10 ply tires.

Do I have enough truck to safely carry my family and our in gear while towing these trailers? I am not worried about the power, more the payload, axle rating, and mostly the handling. I plan to get a good weight distribution hitch - was planning on a blue ox sway pro, and am not opposed to Timbrens or airbags.

I wouldn't have thought too much about this but I had a Hideout I was going to buy and the owner said I needed a 3/4 ton.

Anyways, I appreciate any advice. I just don't want to get into something I am not safe or comfortable driving.

Thanks!
I tow a 25ft keystone cougar with a Chevy duramax 2500hd.
I would not recommend towing with a half ton
James p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #68
flyfishMT

Follow up question

Ok I've stewed on this for a while and had a follow up question if you guys can stand it.

It's been recommend to use 13% of GVWR for a good hitch weight estimate

For the Springdale 240BH -

UVW - 5839
Carrying Capacity 1851

GVW = UVW + Carrying Cap = 7690
Tongue weight at 13% of gvw = 999.70 lbs.

Now here's my question. I know the UVW doesn't include options and propane and batteries and what not,, but with all that said and say with a full tank of water of say 40 gallons or 334lbs, I don't see myself getting anywhere near to loading the thing up with 1851lbs.

So is using GVW * .13 just a really cautious way of estimating?

Because say I put 700 lbs in it, wouldn't my tongue weight be (5839 + 700) * .13 = 851lbs?

Still a bad idea for my truck I know but just trying to get the whole picture (for trailers appropriate for my truck).
flyfishMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #69
BadmanRick

It’s interesting to see all the negativity about the Toyota Tundra. The Tundra was the First to comply with the federal towing standards J2807. Ford did not comply till 2015 and GM and Ram is dilly dallying around with it. I agree that you need to take into consideration all weights.
Toyota Tundra towed the Space Shuttle which weighed over 230,000 lbs with a stock 5.7 Tundra Crew Max 4x4 with no problem.
Just saying weight isn’t everything
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #70
Logan X

Quote:
Ok I've stewed on this for a while and had a follow up question if you guys can stand it.

It's been recommend to use 13% of GVWR for a good hitch weight estimate

For the Springdale 240BH -

UVW - 5839
Carrying Capacity 1851

GVW = UVW + Carrying Cap = 7690
Tongue weight at 13% of gvw = 999.70 lbs.

Now here's my question. I know the UVW doesn't include options and propane and batteries and what not,, but with all that said and say with a full tank of water of say 40 gallons or 334lbs, I don't see myself getting anywhere near to loading the thing up with 1851lbs.

So is using GVW * .13 just a really cautious way of estimating?

Because say I put 700 lbs in it, wouldn't my tongue weight be (5839 + 700) * .13 = 851lbs?

Still a bad idea for my truck I know but just trying to get the whole picture (for trailers appropriate for my truck).
You are correct, using 13% (I use 12%) of the GVWR for the tongue weight is a conservative estimation. If you don’t take your rig to a scale and verify the loaded weights, I would stick with estimating conservatively. I think a lot of guys like to estimate using the GVWR because it accounts for most “worst case scenario” situations. And, if you are not towing fully loaded, there is some built in margin of error for the numbers.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #71
flyfishMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
You are correct, using 13% (I use 12%) of the GVWR for the tongue weight is a conservative estimation. If you don’t take your rig to a scale and verify the loaded weights, I would stick with estimating conservatively. I think a lot of guys like to estimate using the GVWR because it accounts for most “worst case scenario” situations. If you are not towing fully loaded, there is some built in margin of error for the numbers.

Thanks for the response. I would think you would not want load it to max capacity anyways, no?
flyfishMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #72
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
It’s interesting to see all the negativity about the Toyota Tundra. The Tundra was the First to comply with the federal towing standards J2807. Ford did not comply till 2015 and GM and Ram is dilly dallying around with it. I agree that you need to take into consideration all weights.
Toyota Tundra towed the Space Shuttle which weighed over 230,000 lbs with a stock 5.7 Tundra Crew Max 4x4 with no problem.
I don't understand this. What negativity? Facts are facts. Weight limitations are just that, a limiting factor, not a "consideration". As for towing the space shuttle, well if you belived that then I know this guy "jack" that has some beans you might be interested in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #73
Logan X

Quote:
I personally think the Tundra is a fantastic truck with an excellent track record. But, I also think that for the trailers the OP was inquiring about, the Tundra would be overloaded.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't understand this. What negativity? Facts are facts. Weight limitations are just that, a limiting factor, not a "consideration". As for towing the space shuttle, well if you belived that then I know this guy "jack" that has some beans you might be interested in.
I heard that if someone would buy three of "jack's beans" they can plant them and grow a beanstalk that would "grow tall enough to reach" to where the space shuttle was "BEFORE" that Toyota Tundra towed it across that bridge.....

Oh, and a Ford F150 "electric" towed a million pounds, that's "4 space shuttles".... Doesn't help a damn bit with towing a 14,000 pound 40' fifth wheel with that same F150. https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...-pounds-2019-7

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #75
Northofu1

Quote:
You could lash up a 5th wheel to it take it on a nice mountainous trip and give some feedback about how it towed. We would all be interested in how you did.
Keeping it under max weight capacities helps in time of weather, road conditions, traffic conditions and sudden stops. Not to mention what if the vehicle(s) were both over 5 to 10 years old. Metal / rubber fatigue plays a part in safety.JMO

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #76
Logan X

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I would think you would not want load it to max capacity anyways, no?
Yeah, I wouldn’t for sure.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #77
Mainer

A Tundra Owner Answers

Will it pull it? Sure that engine is pretty powerful and the go fast pedal works well. We rocket onto the highway pulling our light weight Bullet, don't hardly know it's back there.

BUT! We are 2, with light weight toys and we are close to the max on weight. Our Subaru has similar payload....
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #78
WDPatterson

Here are some specifications for the 2016 Tundra. Do you have the trailer pulling package on that truck?? Did it come from the factory that way?

https://www.galetoyota.com/blog/offi...oad-specs/amp/
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #79
WDPatterson

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they pulled the shuttle with a tow bar. That weighs next to nothing. The shuttle is its own dolly. There is no tongue weight.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #80
travelin texans

Quote:
I agree!
BUT, over time using it, regardless of the GVWR, you WILL keep adding this or that "cause you might need it" & I'll tell you from experience you'll be fully loaded in the blink of an eye & never realize it.
So use the 13% of the posted GVWR on the particular RV your wanting to tow & don't exceed any of the numbers on your particular truck.
Simply put get/have more truck than you need & NEVER think/say "I load light & only travel xx miles" cause it most likely ain't happening for long.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle, tundra