Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Angjam

Montana mountaineer help!!!

So I've recently bought a 2002 keystone montana mountaineer. I've had no luck at keeping my breaker from flipping. I've replaced the converter and extention cord and checked all fuses. The fridge and microwave are both unplugged, so no serious drain of energy. The breakers will stay on for roughly 30 seconds and the lights get extremely bright before it flips. There is some source pushing too much power, i have no idea where to look to. Anyone have any leads???? Please help!!!
Angjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
bobbecky

If your lights are getting very bright, and this would be the 120 volt ones that matter, then you may have a loose or broken neutral connection somewhere in the rig or even anywhere coming from the pedestal. What happens is, with a bad neutral, the voltage is not stabile, and the voltage can rise or drop from 120 volts. If it drops, then the amperage rises and that is what will trip a breaker. You must find the bad connection before you burn up your electrical system and appliances. If you are in an RV park, connect to a different pedestal, possibly at a different location in the park, as this might be a problem as far back as the main electric panel serving many pedestals.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angjam View Post
So I've recently bought a 2002 keystone montana mountaineer. I've had no luck at keeping my breaker from flipping. I've replaced the converter and extention cord and checked all fuses. The fridge and microwave are both unplugged, so no serious drain of energy. The breakers will stay on for roughly 30 seconds and the lights get extremely bright before it flips. There is some source pushing too much power, i have no idea where to look to. Anyone have any leads???? Please help!!!
Welcome to the forum.
Couple of questions...what breaker trips? Main inside? pedestal? converter?
Extension cord, do you mean the shore power cable attached to the trailer?
What lights, 12vdc? I doubt there are any 120vac lights inside.
Has the battery been tested?

Finally, what prompted you to replace the converter and the "extension cord"? Did they test defective or was it guessing at the problem?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
kksfish

Start with basics get a volt meter check voltage at source(pedestal) then go to panel open all breakers check voltage, then start turning on breakers one at a time until you find the circuit causing the problem. Then begin by disconnecting everything on that circuit next look for obvious problems with those devices if all looks good turn breaker back on and start plugging in the items previously unplugged.
Let us know what you find ,if you still have a problem start removing switches and receptacles looking for obvious problem!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If your lights are getting very bright, and this would be the 120 volt ones that matter, then you may have a loose or broken neutral connection somewhere in the rig or even anywhere coming from the pedestal. What happens is, with a bad neutral, the voltage is not stabile, and the voltage can rise or drop from 120 volts. If it drops, then the amperage rises and that is what will trip a breaker. You must find the bad connection before you burn up your electrical system and appliances. If you are in an RV park, connect to a different pedestal, possibly at a different location in the park, as this might be a problem as far back as the main electric panel serving many pedestals.
I totally agree. The problem is at the transformer supplying power. One phase of the 220v system will see low voltage and the other phase will see high voltage as the neutral is shared by both. This is a pretty serious problem and the camp host and/or power company should be called.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

OP has not replied in a week, must have resolved the issue
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana, mount